Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to go to university next year to study music business / music industry management. My choices vary, but most - including my first choice of uni - want 112 UCAS points as a minimum.

I'm currently taking a third year at college. My first year was a level 2 course, and last year, I had personal issues which led me to essentially finishing the last 3 months or so from home. I finished the work to the deadlines correctly, receiving M/D for my work throughout. but I was never made aware that it would affect my overall grade. I finished with a PP overall, with just 24 UCAS points. Severely devastated, as I calculated that even if I finished with a D* this year, I would only have 108 points. Chances of me finishing with that are low, so realistically, I could finish with a D and have just 96 points. I really don't want to do a fourth year at college, and I'm already applying through UCAS for university next year.

Would it be possible to get a place, even through clearing?

Just to make people aware - I was never told that finishing my work at home would affect my overall grade. I am looking to get my work remarked externally by Pearson themselves. Hope this helps explain my situation a bit better.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Manclass98)
    I'm looking to go to university next year to study music business / music industry management. My choices vary, but most - including my first choice of uni - want 112 UCAS points as a minimum.

I'm currently taking a third year at college. My first year was a level 2 course, and last year, I had personal issues which led me to essentially finishing the last 3 months or so from home. I finished the work to the deadlines correctly, receiving M/D for my work throughout. but I was never made aware that it would affect my overall grade. I finished with a PP overall, with just 24 UCAS points. Severely devastated, as I calculated that even if I finished with a D* this year, I would only have 108 points. Chances of me finishing with that are low, so realistically, I could finish with a D and have just 96 points. I really don't want to do a fourth year at college, and I'm already applying through UCAS for university next year.

Would it be possible to get a place, even through clearing?
    Talk to your first choice uni.

You talk about getting M and D throughout, but PP overall?

See if they accept EPQ and do one of those relevant to the course you are applying for. Its worth half an A level so 8-28 points. A C would get you 16 points.

Considering your grades, then you really need yo show a significant improvement this year otherwise you might struggle. Dont go to uni until you are actually ready.

https://qips.ucas.com/qip/extended-p...lification-epq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Talk to your first choice uni.

You talk about getting M and D throughout, but PP overall?

See if they accept EPQ and do one of those relevant to the course you are applying for. Its worth half an A level so 8-28 points. A C would get you 16 points.

Considering your grades, then you really need yo show a significant improvement this year otherwise you might struggle. Dont go to uni until you are actually ready.

https://qips.ucas.com/qip/extended-p...lification-epq
    I appreciated where you're coming from, but what I'm trying to explain is that my work was at a Merit and distinction standard. However, the reason I came out with a PP overall, is due to the fact I did the work from home, rather than attending classes. I was never told that being out of college classes, but still doing my work, would affect the grade. In my opinion, and the opinions of other college teachers/university lecturers, my work was poorly marked internally by my teachers. I feel my work is at an adequate standard for university, alongside the work I'm doing this year. However, I am looking into getting last years work remarked from Pearson themselves, rather than sticking with the result I got. Hope this explains what I'm trying to say, a bit better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.