Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I apply for my DSA allowance to cover my PG LPC tuition fees? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm into my last year of year of my LLB Law degree and I've got a conditional offer to carry on at my Uni and do the LPC but I'm worried about tuition fees. I can apply for a discount as a continuing student but obviously, the Postgraduate Loan is not applicable to professional qualifications. I don't think I will meet the credit criteria for the Professional and Career Development Loan scheme and I'm not sure how I will meet the course fees. A training contract isnt an option for me until I have finished the LPC as I am a (43 yr old) single parent, a full time carer for my adult son, I have disability status myself and DSA awarded, I just can't do everything at once. I live in a deprived area, family first generation of Uni entry, overcome domestic abuse and got myself through Uni, be gutted if it I fall at the final fence over costs.....
    I am going to apply for the Diversity Acess Scheme but I noticed that Postgrad DSA is a one off payment and I was wondering if that could be used for fees?

If there is any other funding that I could apply for, I'd appreciate the advice.... T.I.A.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmcm)
    Hi
    I'm into my last year of year of my LLB Law degree and I've got a conditional offer to carry on at my Uni and do the LPC but I'm worried about tuition fees. I can apply for a discount as a continuing student but obviously, the Postgraduate Loan is not applicable to professional qualifications. I don't think I will meet the credit criteria for the Professional and Career Development Loan scheme and I'm not sure how I will meet the course fees. A training contract isnt an option for me until I have finished the LPC as I am a (43 yr old) single parent, a full time carer for my adult son, I have disability status myself and DSA awarded, I just can't do everything at once. I live in a deprived area, family first generation of Uni entry, overcome domestic abuse and got myself through Uni, be gutted if it I fall at the final fence over costs.....
    I am going to apply for the Diversity Acess Scheme but I noticed that Postgrad DSA is a one off payment and I was wondering if that could be used for fees?

If there is any other funding that I could apply for, I'd appreciate the advice.... T.I.A.
    Dsa is generally something that goes straight to suppliers and isn't to be used for fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Dsa is generally something that goes straight to suppliers and isn't to be used for fees
    Yeah - I thought that but it is paid differently to Undergrad, its a lump sum for Postgrad so just wondered...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmcm)
    Yeah - I thought that but it is paid differently to Undergrad, its a lump sum for Postgrad so just wondered...
    It's similarly assessed to undergrad so you couldn't get it to use for fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It's similarly assessed to undergrad so you couldn't get it to use for fees.
    Right ok thanks. Any alternative advice?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmcm)
    Check charity grants but I ve no other ideas
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmcm)
    Have you talked to the uni delivering the course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.