The Student Room Group

Is it normal for vacuum cleaner to smell of hot plastic?

Bought new vacuum cleaner. It gets warm around hepa / air vents and blows out a hot plastic smell. Fills the room and makes me feel sick.

Is it normal for vacuum cleaners to smell (of hot plastic)?
No, that's not right at all. I'd make sure it's been properly cleaned and there's no blockages, but I'd be concerned of an electrical fault.

My vacuum got dropped down the stairs recently, and when used after, it did the exact same thing as you're describing, but I could also see smoke coming from it. Immediately, I threw it in the garden and purchased a new one.
mate..you can't hoover you recycling, g. :no:
Depends how bad the smell is. If its very subtle that is fine, but if it is way to strong and bad smelling then get it checked. See is if it has a warranty?
Reply 4
Original post by Whispers
No, that's not right at all. I'd make sure it's been properly cleaned and there's no blockages, but I'd be concerned of an electrical fault.

My vacuum got dropped down the stairs recently, and when used after, it did the exact same thing as you're describing, but I could also see smoke coming from it. Immediately, I threw it in the garden and purchased a new one.

I'm gonna take it back tomorrow. But mine runs fine with no smoke. Just stinks. I thought I might have to run in the motor, so I left it running in bursts in an empty room. Not much improvement.

Actually, I think one of the older vacuum I used to have did smell a bit of plastic towards the end, but I never remembered it from new.
no.
Reply 6
NOOO!!!!!!!
it does not sound right. i am sure they will replace it right away.
Original post by oldboy2007
I'm gonna take it back tomorrow. But mine runs fine with no smoke. Just stinks. I thought I might have to run in the motor, so I left it running in bursts in an empty room. Not much improvement.

Actually, I think one of the older vacuum I used to have did smell a bit of plastic towards the end, but I never remembered it from new.

This happened with my hoover ages ago, just clean/replace the filters.
Reply 9
Since the introduction of Shark to the US market, it has been hell for Dyson, the UK brand that once had the monopoly in vacuuming industry. Shark products are manufactured in China and have an advantage when it comes to the prices. Today, Shark has 20% market share in the US vacuum cleaner market.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Not, this is certainly not normal. I think you should buy battery vacuum cleaners, such vacuum cleaners have no problems.

Quick Reply

Latest