Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A sample of hydrated calcium sulphate CaSO4.xH20 has a rfm of 172 , what is the value of x , how am i meant to sort this when i dont know the moles or mass of anything . Help plz

ReputationRep:
    If it has a rfm of 172 then you know that of that 172, the CaSO4 makes up 40 32 (4*16)=136 of the 172. Then you just do 172-136 to get 36 and that's the total mass of the water you've got. The molecular mass of one water molecule is 1 1 16=18 and you have a total of 36, so 36/18=2. Therefore, the x value is 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyberen)
    If it has a rfm of 172 then you know that of that 172, the CaSO4 makes up 40 32 (4*16)=136 of the 172. Then you just do 172-136 to get 36 and that's the total mass of the water you've got. The molecular mass of one water molecule is 1 1 16=18 and you have a total of 36, so 36/18=2. Therefore, the x value is 2
    thanks for the reply , where do i start this from , the hydrated side or the anhydrous side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    thanks for the reply , where do i start this from , the hydrated side or the anhydrous side
    You start by working out the rfm of the anhydrous side first because that's the mass that you know isn't going to be a multiple of the water mass if that makes sense xD

ReputationRep:
    You start by working out the rfm of the anhydrous side first because that's the mass that you know isn't going to be a multiple of the water mass if that makes sense xD
    yeh i get it , thanks

ReputationRep:
    what about the empirical formula method , do u know about that because thats the one they showed us in college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    what about the empirical formula method , do u know about that because thats the one they showed us in college
    Oh yeah for that method then you would need to know how many moles of the substance and the masses/% by mass for that one to work. I guess the empirical formula method would be more likely to get examined on because it's more of a practical sort of calculation and the other way is quite quick and simple if you know the method. But yeah it's just knowing which method you should use based on the data which you are given

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah for that method then you would need to know how many moles of the substance and the masses/% by mass for that one to work. I guess the empirical formula method would be more likely to get examined on because it's more of a practical sort of calculation and the other way is quite quick and simple if you know the method. But yeah it's just knowing which method you should use based on the data which you are given
    aha ok thanks very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.