Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you treat overexfoliated + Duac affected skin Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was recently prescribed Duac for my acne (I normally get spots on my chin and it has been very dry and overexfoliated before). I started using it and it dried my skin even more, making it very red (which looks pretty terrifying in contrast to my pale skin). Whenever I skip Duac application before sleep, I use Vaseline jelly or some other rich moisturiser to recover my skin, and it works. BUT.. I get pimples and ugly lookin whiteheads again.
    Has anyone found a solution to this? Also, how else could I treat overexfoliated skin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stickynotes)
    I was recently prescribed Duac for my acne (I normally get spots on my chin and it has been very dry and overexfoliated before). I started using it and it dried my skin even more, making it very red (which looks pretty terrifying in contrast to my pale skin). Whenever I skip Duac application before sleep, I use Vaseline jelly or some other rich moisturiser to recover my skin, and it works. BUT.. I get pimples and ugly lookin whiteheads again.
    Has anyone found a solution to this? Also, how else could I treat overexfoliated skin?
    Go on Reddit and the subreddit Asian Beauty (about Asian skincare) has tons of info on that, it’s a godsend :P
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I understand your frustration, you need to give your skin a breather, and introduce products with active ingredients that can target your specific problems. For the dryness, I'd recommend using E45. The pimples and whiteheads can be dried up with Sudocrem, toothpaste, or try some Glycolic Acid wipes (you can get them from Boots).

I over-exfoliated recently with benzoyl peroxide (EpiDuo) and retinol. My chin broke out like crazy, I had a couple of (HUGE) whiteheads and my face was ever so dry. I stopped using those products, washed my face twice a day, and used Vaseline as a moisturiser for one week. I am a product junkie, so I use a lot of acids and whatnot on my face. After that week, I used a lactic acid serum (Sunday Riley Good Genes) to combat the blemishes, and at night, a sleeping oil that contained Salicylic acid (Sunday Riley UFO) to clarify my skin. These products have helped to clear my skin, and prevent further breakouts. I am also using Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peels once a week to restore my complexion.

ReputationRep:
    Acids are great, BHA (salicylic acid) is best for acneic skin. If you can't shell out for some of the more expensive brands (e.g. Sunday Riley), The Ordinary by Deciem is pretty good and has a 15ml and 30ml BHA in its range and they're extremely affordable and at the right pH and pKa levels.

Having said that please be sure to use sun screen (photostable and broadspectrum) because they make the skin more photosensitive. This increase in photosensitivity includes retinoids, BHAs, AHAs, Azaleic acid, etc. So please make sure you use a sun screen, and no the one in your moisturiser probably isn't enough and it's also probably not enough in your foundation either. You need to use quite a bit on the face for it to be effective! Hence a standalone SPF is best.

Oh and yeah, AsianBeauty, SkincareAddiction and SkincareAddictionUK subreddits are goldmines for information. Definitely recommend them.

ReputationRep:
    You must moisturize it to help your skin to recover and for skin cells to regenerate themselves. I would recommend Dermal_MD make your skin glow serum, this nourishes and moisturizes your skin.

ReputationRep:
    Cocoa butter is magic stuff

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.