The Student Room Group

Got a job, but it takes an hour and 15 minutes to get there and back

I got offered a part-time job at McDonalds in this service station but to get there it would take an hour and 15 minutes in total (walking to the bus stop, duration of the bus journey, walking to McDonalds from the bus stop). I will be able to get a lift there during weekdays (Tuesday and Thursday as I have college on Monday, Wednesday and Friday) only if my shift starts at 8 am, as my parents drive past the McDonalds I got offered a job at every morning on weekdays. So that could save me the long journey to McDonalds to get there but it would still be an hour and 15 minutes to get back.
All I want to know is your opinions on whether or not its worth it? Been on a job hunt for about 2 months, applied for about 20 jobs during that time, and been very unlucky as McDonalds and KFC have only got back to me within that time.
I used to travel over 2 hours each way to work and back. You'll be fine
I don't understand why you'd apply for a job knowing it was so far away to travel..?
Reply 3
Original post by Jackieox
I don't understand why you'd apply for a job knowing it was so far away to travel..?

Been looking for a job for over 2 months now, only KFC and McDonalds have got back to me. I know that it was far but I'm in desperate need of money and tbh I dont mind travelling its just I could be doing something more productive with that time.
Reply 4
Original post by Galahad_
I used to travel over 2 hours each way to work and back. You'll be fine

Ok, just wanted to know peoples thoughts, as my wage would be £4.50 an hour
Reply 5
Original post by redxreviver
Been looking for a job for over 2 months now, only KFC and McDonalds have got back to me. I know that it was far but I'm in desperate need of money and tbh I dont mind travelling its just I could be doing something more productive with that time.

If you need the money then take this job. You can then keep applying for other jobs but will have this experience to include on your cv
I had a 1hr 30min commute during my placement year and it was unpaid. You can actually get a lot done during journeys eg course reading etc. It's doable just slightly anoying!
If you're desperate as you say then why not? It's better than nothing. Also you can keep looking for other jobs and if you find a better/closer one then switch to that.
Reply 8
Average UK commute is 54 mins, so it's not that bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending