Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Showing my Uni my personal statement before I've applied Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I was wondering if it's a good idea to show my potential universities my personal statement before I've sent my UCAS application.

I've been corresponding with some of my potential universities as to the suitability of what I'm currently studying to enter their course later.

Has anyone else done this?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think universities are even allowed to interfere with your personal statement and I guess they wouldn't probably read it unless it's a part of your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yutopia)
    Hey guys

I was wondering if it's a good idea to show my potential universities my personal statement before I've sent my UCAS application.

I've been corresponding with some of my potential universities as to the suitability of what I'm currently studying to enter their course later.

Has anyone else done this?
    They won’t care. They don’t have time to be a counsellor and read through everyone’s statements. Just get your college to look over it and submit it.

Also, every uni is different, if you asked for everyone’s opinions it would likely be impossible to satisfy everyone. Your personal statement is meant to be your own work, you cant ask the examiner to have a quick read over your paper before you hand it in....
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I guess I should make my intention clear.

I was wondering if there was an etiquette regarding showing your personal statement to a lecturer. Like "No! That's a really bad idea.", or "You shouldn't do that because it will affect your UCAS application when you do apply to that university".

Again to be clear, I'm not looking for an opinion on my personal statement. My personal statement is finished, finito, done, set in stone. This isn't about trying to improve my personal statement or change it in any way.

ReputationRep:

I was wondering if there was an etiquette regarding showing your personal statement to a lecturer. Like "No! That's a really bad idea.", or "You shouldn't do that because it will affect your UCAS application when you do apply to that university".

Again to be clear, I'm not looking for an opinion on my personal statement. My personal statement is finished, finito, done, set in stone. This isn't about trying to improve my personal statement or change it in any way.
    If you don’t want suggestions for how to improve it then what’s the point in even showing it to a university? Plus, the universities wouldn’t look over your PS and advise on improvements as this gives you an unfair advantage over other students, and they don’t have time to read thousands of thousands of PS’s prior to being sent off with a UCAS application.

If your PS is done, and you’re that confident, just sent it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Knowing lecturers they won't even read it. They get a ridiculous amount of emails every day relating to their actual job. Reading someone's PS (especially when they may not even get into the uni. + When there's actually a department who's meant to deal with them) will just piss them off.

ReputationRep:

You could, it wouldn't affect your application. But whether it's a good idea is another question. Do you know the lecturer personally? If the lecturer offered to read it, then it's fine. If not, I wouldn't bother, they may take a cursory glance if you asked but they often have a lot of work to get through

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your reply.
    I guess I play it safe and not send it then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.