The Student Room Group

Compliments - ever had one that made you temporarily speechless?

I know it's a random question...

A few days ago I called my mobile phone provider to set up a new direct debit as I had changed banks...

When the person was waiting for the new direct debit to be authorised by my bank she said something like (I can't remember exact words as I was taken aback) please, I have to say that you have a very nice voice. It took me a few seconds to reply as I was quite surprised but I did manage to say Oh, thank you and then she proceeded to say that the new direct debit was set up etc etc...

It is not the first time I have been told that I have a 'nice' voice but I certainly did not expect to hear this in the type of conversation I was having. Please don't get me wrong - I admire the woman for veering away from a scripted interaction with a customer. I found it quite refreshing and it made me smile and boosted me a little.

So, how about you, with the compliment thing?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only compliments I get is when I do eyeliner and make the lines sharp af :biggrin: but I ain't complaining about it haha
Reply 2
No.
Don’t get any compliments so no.
Every compliment
I have only ever been truly speechless once in my life and it was for very negative reasons.

Original post by JamesH2017
I know it's a random question...

A few days ago I called my mobile phone provider to set up a new direct debit as I had changed banks...

When the person was waiting for the new direct debit to be authorised by my bank she said something like (I can't remember exact words as I was taken aback) please, I have to say that you have a very nice voice. It took me a few seconds to reply as I was quite surprised but I did manage to say Oh, thank you and then she proceeded to say that the new direct debit was set up etc etc...

It is not the first time I have been told that I have a 'nice' voice but I certainly did not expect to hear this in the type of conversation I was having. Please don't get me wrong - I admire the woman for veering away from a scripted interaction with a customer. I found it quite refreshing and it made me smile and boosted me a little.

So, how about you, with the compliment thing?
Reply 6
When I got told I was the best cat parent someone had ever known. I was very flattered and gobsmacked :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by Jade236
The only compliments I get is when I do eyeliner and make the lines sharp af :biggrin: but I ain't complaining about it haha

I like 'attractive' eyes :wink:

Sometimes it is difficult to take a compliment - some see it as a 'gift' that is given freely.

Original post by Kevin Hodge
Don’t get any compliments so no.

Aww, maybe you will get some soon - I hope you do.

Original post by hannxm
I have only ever been truly speechless once in my life and it was for very negative reasons.

I am sorry to hear that - would you care to elaborate?

Take care and be good to yourself.

Original post by Rum Ham
When I got told I was the best cat parent someone had ever known. I was very flattered and gobsmacked :colondollar:

That's amazing - good on you.

I think domestic cats are very independent/nonchalant but I know they can benefit from love and kindness given to them freely by us humans!

Well done you!
Original post by JamesH2017
I like 'attractive' eyes :wink:

Sometimes it is difficult to take a compliment - some see it as a 'gift' that is given freely.

Aww, maybe you will get some soon - I hope you do.

I am sorry to hear that - would you care to elaborate?

Take care and be good to yourself.

That's amazing - good on you.

I think domestic cats are very independent/nonchalant but I know they can benefit from love and kindness given to them freely by us humans!

Well done you!

Hopefully soon, thanks :smile:
One guy that I'm never going to get with (mainly because I have a bf and he's a player) once told me "you are the page in my book that I haven't yet read."... that left me speechless
First day of college, I was just walking through the corridor and some girl said "oohh I like your hair"

People also say my jawline is amazing when it's really not?
Reply 11
This girl at uni once told me that I had cute knuckles, but I just know that it was a backhanded compliment.
my boyfriend said 'oh my god you look so beautiful' one day randomly. i wasn't dressed up or anything, we were just laying in bed and he said it. he's called me cute and other stuff like that before but the way he said it, i just didn't know what to say
Reply 13
When people keep bringing up my resemblance to Selena Gomez. I mean I don't see it but it's flattering and I have no idea how to react to it.
Only the perverted ones. I appreciate any other compliment I get. But none have surprised me.
Oh I know he just wants to smash 🙄😂 it's been a whole year and he won't let it drop
Had a gay guy compliment what I was wearing a couple of days ago, that was nice
Reply 17
Original post by mayonepp
my boyfriend said 'oh my god you look so beautiful' one day randomly. i wasn't dressed up or anything, we were just laying in bed and he said it. he's called me cute and other stuff like that before but the way he said it, i just didn't know what to say

Ahhhhh that’s so cute! Goals for the future honestly
I took my glasses off to clean it with a cloth and as I was walking down a street a girl called me good-looking. I still wear my glasses 😆

I looked at her and just slowly walked away.
She was a random person on the street 😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
"You have lovely veins, they are so big and juicy" ...Really threw me off for a while

-Note, I donate blood, it wasn't just some random person out in the street admiring my veins xD-

Quick Reply

Latest