Turn on thread page Beta

Compliments - ever had one that made you temporarily speechless? watch

I know it's a random question...

A few days ago I called my mobile phone provider to set up a new direct debit as I had changed banks...

When the person was waiting for the new direct debit to be authorised by my bank she said something like (I can't remember exact words as I was taken aback) please, I have to say that you have a very nice voice. It took me a few seconds to reply as I was quite surprised but I did manage to say Oh, thank you and then she proceeded to say that the new direct debit was set up etc etc...

It is not the first time I have been told that I have a 'nice' voice but I certainly did not expect to hear this in the type of conversation I was having. Please don't get me wrong - I admire the woman for veering away from a scripted interaction with a customer. I found it quite refreshing and it made me smile and boosted me a little.

So, how about you, with the compliment thing?

ReputationRep:
    The only compliments I get is when I do eyeliner and make the lines sharp af but I ain't complaining about it haha

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes. Just a few days ago my friend called me a genius. I couldn't help but laugh at that statement and he was actually getting annoyed that I'm not "accepting" the fact I am a genius. I then said I don't consider myself to be one, as a genius would be someone exceptional, such as Elon Musk for example. My friend then said "If you're not exceptional, then I don't know who is."
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Don’t get any compliments so no.

ReputationRep:
    Every compliment
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have only ever been truly speechless once in my life and it was for very negative reasons.

(Original post by JamesH2017)
    I know it's a random question...

A few days ago I called my mobile phone provider to set up a new direct debit as I had changed banks...

When the person was waiting for the new direct debit to be authorised by my bank she said something like (I can't remember exact words as I was taken aback) please, I have to say that you have a very nice voice. It took me a few seconds to reply as I was quite surprised but I did manage to say Oh, thank you and then she proceeded to say that the new direct debit was set up etc etc...

It is not the first time I have been told that I have a 'nice' voice but I certainly did not expect to hear this in the type of conversation I was having. Please don't get me wrong - I admire the woman for veering away from a scripted interaction with a customer. I found it quite refreshing and it made me smile and boosted me a little.

So, how about you, with the compliment thing?

ReputationRep:
    When I got told I was the best cat parent someone had ever known. I was very flattered and gobsmacked
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Jade236)
    The only compliments I get is when I do eyeliner and make the lines sharp af but I ain't complaining about it haha
    I like 'attractive' eyes

(Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Yes. Just a few days ago my friend called me a genius. I couldn't help but laugh at that statement and he was actually getting annoyed that I'm not "accepting" the fact I am a genius. I then said I don't consider myself to be one, as a genius would be someone exceptional, such as Elon Musk for example. My friend then said "If you're not exceptional, then I don't know who is."
    Sometimes it is difficult to take a compliment - some see it as a 'gift' that is given freely.

(Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    Don’t get any compliments so no.
    Aww, maybe you will get some soon - I hope you do.

(Original post by hannxm)
    I have only ever been truly speechless once in my life and it was for very negative reasons.
    I am sorry to hear that - would you care to elaborate?

Take care and be good to yourself.

(Original post by Rum Ham)
    When I got told I was the best cat parent someone had ever known. I was very flattered and gobsmacked
    That's amazing - good on you.

I think domestic cats are very independent/nonchalant but I know they can benefit from love and kindness given to them freely by us humans!

Well done you!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JamesH2017)
    I like 'attractive' eyes

Sometimes it is difficult to take a compliment - some see it as a 'gift' that is given freely.

Aww, maybe you will get some soon - I hope you do.

I am sorry to hear that - would you care to elaborate?

Take care and be good to yourself.

That's amazing - good on you.

I think domestic cats are very independent/nonchalant but I know they can benefit from love and kindness given to them freely by us humans!

Well done you!
    Hopefully soon, thanks

ReputationRep:
    One guy that I'm never going to get with (mainly because I have a bf and he's a player) once told me "you are the page in my book that I haven't yet read."... that left me speechless

ReputationRep:
    First day of college, I was just walking through the corridor and some girl said "oohh I like your hair"

People also say my jawline is amazing when it's really not?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    This girl at uni once told me that I had cute knuckles, but I just know that it was a backhanded compliment.

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend said 'oh my god you look so beautiful' one day randomly. i wasn't dressed up or anything, we were just laying in bed and he said it. he's called me cute and other stuff like that before but the way he said it, i just didn't know what to say

ReputationRep:
    When people keep bringing up my resemblance to Selena Gomez. I mean I don't see it but it's flattering and I have no idea how to react to it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DaenerysT)
    One guy that I'm never going to get with (mainly because I have a bf and he's a player) once told me "you are the page in my book that I haven't yet read."... that left me speechless
    Pretty sure he meant he wants to soonly smash

ReputationRep:
    Only the perverted ones. I appreciate any other compliment I get. But none have surprised me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Pretty sure he meant he wants to soonly smash
    Oh I know he just wants to smash 🙄😂 it's been a whole year and he won't let it drop

ReputationRep:
    Had a gay guy compliment what I was wearing a couple of days ago, that was nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayonepp)
    my boyfriend said 'oh my god you look so beautiful' one day randomly. i wasn't dressed up or anything, we were just laying in bed and he said it. he's called me cute and other stuff like that before but the way he said it, i just didn't know what to say
    Ahhhhh that’s so cute! Goals for the future honestly

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.