"i want to wear your skin" <- definitely left me speechless haha

ReputationRep:
    "you sound like a phone sex operator"
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    When I used to do ice skating a girl whizzed past me and after slapping me on the rump she said I had a nice butt. I was taken aback.

(Original post by DaenerysT)
    One guy that I'm never going to get with (mainly because I have a bf and he's a player) once told me "you are the page in my book that I haven't yet read."... that left me speechless
    Gosh, Mr Book Man sounds like a Smooth Operator.

(Original post by UWS)
    This girl at uni once told me that I had cute knuckles, but I just know that it was a backhanded compliment.
    Did the "girl" ever show you her 'hand'?

(Original post by Exo9)
    When people keep bringing up my resemblance to Selena Gomez. I mean I don't see it but it's flattering and I have no idea how to react to it.
    That sounds difficult for you.

Excuse me, I am just going to googleate who SG is - never heard of the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laitankoko)
    "you sound like a phone sex operator"
    My ex told me that as well haha,, is it a compliment then?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever been speechless as such but I'm always so grateful and appreciative when people say even the smallest of compliments. My favourites are when people say I'm kind and they appreciate me etc Obviously I'm thankful for all compliments, but I always find ones about my character rather than my appearance make me smile more

Shoutout to CoolCavy who always manages to say such lovely things
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesH2017)
    That sounds difficult for you.

Excuse me, I am just going to googleate who SG is - never heard of the person.
    How salty

ReputationRep:
    It was really simple, just a 'you looked nice today' but it came off someone who doesn't give compliments so it shocked me, I thought he was joking and played it off and then he said he was being serious and I had no idea what to say
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry to hear that - would you care to elaborate?

Take care and be good to yourself.
    Let's just say it involved an abusive partner.

(Original post by hannxm)
    Let's just say it involved an abusive partner.
    Truly sorry to hear that.

Being abused, on any level, is awful.

I wish you well - be kind to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a random question...

A few days ago I called my mobile phone provider to set up a new direct debit as I had changed banks...

When the person was waiting for the new direct debit to be authorised by my bank she said something like (I can't remember exact words as I was taken aback) please, I have to say that you have a very nice voice. It took me a few seconds to reply as I was quite surprised but I did manage to say Oh, thank you and then she proceeded to say that the new direct debit was set up etc etc...

It is not the first time I have been told that I have a 'nice' voice but I certainly did not expect to hear this in the type of conversation I was having. Please don't get me wrong - I admire the woman for veering away from a scripted interaction with a customer. I found it quite refreshing and it made me smile and boosted me a little.

So, how about you, with the compliment thing?
    A couple:

One guy told me I had the singing voice of a nightingale when I came off stage once. That was lovely.

Another young girl walked past me and said "YESS SHE COULD CUT A ***** WITH HER WINGED LINER! YOU GO GIRL" and it, definitely shocked me for a moment. 😂

ReputationRep:
    Last year, I was in Selfridges trying on some shoes, and I was conversing with another customer who was also trying on shoes. She asked me what kind of law I practiced and I was so confused {I was in my final year studying Chemistry lol}, and I told her that I wasn't a lawyer, to which she responded: "Oh, I'm so surprised because you're very sophisticated and you look like lawyer".

ReputationRep:
    'I usually hate that piercing but on you I like it.' Seemed like more of a backhanded compliment and I honestly didn't know how to react, in the end was just like 'uhhh..thanks' 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a9493r)
    My ex told me that as well haha,, is it a compliment then?
    Yeah lmao he said it in a way that suggested he liked it so I'm thinking yes

ReputationRep:
    Compliments always make me speechless. I suck at taking them, and I am even worse at giving them out. Idk I would much rather be insulted and roasted than complimented. Usually, it's for my academic abilities/grades and knowledge in general, as well as hairstyle lmao. Sometimes appearance (Thanks mum ). Idk why but they feel fake-ish to me. Maybe I don't want to believe them? I don't know. Obv I got issues...

ReputationRep:
    I was at the hairdressers once and the place I used to go to, you just get whoever you're given as a hairdresser. I had a girl slightly older than me cutting my hair, never had her before so we were sorta getting to know each other to pass time while she went to work on my Barnet. We ended up talking about kids and I told her I didn't have any. She replied with "Oh, really? You seem like the type to have kids knocking around everywhere!" :rofl: I just laughed cause I dunno what she meant by it, but it sounded like she meant I was a top shagger.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a random question...

A few days ago I called my mobile phone provider to set up a new direct debit as I had changed banks...

When the person was waiting for the new direct debit to be authorised by my bank she said something like (I can't remember exact words as I was taken aback) please, I have to say that you have a very nice voice. It took me a few seconds to reply as I was quite surprised but I did manage to say Oh, thank you and then she proceeded to say that the new direct debit was set up etc etc...

It is not the first time I have been told that I have a 'nice' voice but I certainly did not expect to hear this in the type of conversation I was having. Please don't get me wrong - I admire the woman for veering away from a scripted interaction with a customer. I found it quite refreshing and it made me smile and boosted me a little.

So, how about you, with the compliment thing?
    But, the BIG question: Did you thank her for the complement, and ask her for a date??? Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!! Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Technetium)
    Last year, I was in Selfridges trying on some shoes, and I was conversing with another customer who was also trying on shoes. She asked me what kind of law I practiced and I was so confused {I was in my final year studying Chemistry lol}, and I told her that I wasn't a lawyer, to which she responded: "Oh, I'm so surprised because you're very sophisticated and you look like lawyer".
    I've done that, whilst riding the D.C. metro. I postulate a random guess & say something like what you experienced. I'm right about 50% to 60% of the time. I think it's fun. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    99% of the compliments I get are usually from 68 year old women who tell me they used to have hair just like me.

Why do I even bother living...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Yes. Just a few days ago my friend called me a genius. I couldn't help but laugh at that statement and he was actually getting annoyed that I'm not "accepting" the fact I am a genius. I then said I don't consider myself to be one, as a genius would be someone exceptional, such as Elon Musk for example. My friend then said "If you're not exceptional, then I don't know who is."
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahaha, that is funny, good one!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.