The Student Room Group

Gap Year - Apply this year or next year?

I've decided to definitely take a gap year, but I'm currently struggling through my personal statement and having doubts about which courses I should apply to, should I postpone my application?
My current choices are:
UCL -Arts and Sciences
Manchester-Econ and Social Sciences
Birmingham-Liberal Arts
Warwick -Liberal arts
Durham -Combined hons social sciences/ Glasgow -Economics

I absolutely adore Economics, and the reason that I'm applying to lib arts courses is order to combine it with sociology, history etc. so that I can view it in multiple perspectives. However, I'm finding myself wondering whether I truly want to combine it or if I just want to immerse myself in Econ, and there's this nagging voice in my head saying "apply for Cambridgeeee" even though the deadlne just came and went. Not only that, but I feel that I'll be able to write a more impressive personal statement next year, since I'll actually be doing things like the Warwick pre-uni taster (I didn't manage to do much last school year), and I don't know if I'll change my mind after I firm a choice during the gap year.

HOWEVER, I'm facing a lot of pressure from others to apply this year, plus it gives me two chances instead of one and I don't know if I want to face yet more stress by appying after my A-levels. What do?
(Sorry about the long ass explanation)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Eat-sleep-repeat
I've decided to definitely take a gap year, but I'm currently struggling through my personal statement and having doubts about which courses I should apply to, should I postpone my application?
My current choices are:
UCL -Arts and Sciences
Birmingham-Liberal Arts
Warwick -Liberal arts

I absolutely adore Economics, and the reason that I'm applying to lib arts courses is order to combine it with sociology, history etc. so that I can view it in multiple perspectives. However, I'm finding myself wondering whether I truly want to combine it or if I just want to immerse myself in Econ, and there's this nagging voice in my head saying "apply for Cambridgeeee" even though the deadlne just came and went. Not only that, but I feel that I'll be able to write a more impressive personal statement next year, since I'll actually be doing things like the Warwick pre-uni taster (I didn't manage to do much last school year), and I don't know if I'll change my mind after I firm a choice during the gap year.

HOWEVER, I'm facing a lot of pressure from others to apply this year, plus it gives me two chances instead of one and I don't know if I want to face yet more stress by appying after my A-levels. What do?

Apply this year - consider it a practice year.

There's no rush to apply early, just meet the January deadline. You'll get the experience and advice from your school while applying. If you withdraw in August and reapply next year then no university will hold a grudge.
Original post by Eat-sleep-repeat
My current choices are:
UCL -Arts and Sciences
Birmingham-Liberal Arts
Warwick -Liberal arts

Yeh i've kind of got the same issue. However, i have decided to apply next year
as i don't think i've got the best predicted grades, so it will just save me stressing
about personal statements and new deadlines etc.
My advice, as someone in the same shoes as you, would be that unless you have got brilliant predicted grades, hold off. I know that it may mean more stress next
year (and trust me i do not want to be stressing whilst i'm having a cultural
in India) but at least you will have hard evidence of your actual grades, and not to mention the life experience and general maturity you will have gained, that will
you loads to write about on your personal statement won't it!

I really hope this helps, and good luck to us both,
Imogen from Leicester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending