Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my school we only get 8 GCSES (9 w/ triple science). Can I still get a place in Oxford to do law, as other schools do 10 .

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I think as long as your school explains this in your reference they will accept it but call them to make sure, I only have 6 GCSEs becsuse of some circumstances and they said they will still accept it as long as my teacher explains it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funim)
    In my school we only get 8 GCSES (9 w/ triple science). Can I still get a place in Oxford to do law, as other schools do 10 .
    I just applied with 5 so I guess so? Although I have a very unconventional extenuating background

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funim)
    Yes I'm sure you can if the school is ready to explain that is the reason why. As long as your grades are top notch then I don't see why they should reject you just because of your school's regulations. Someone in my school only had 4 GCSEs because she was involved in an accident during exam period so she missed out a lot of exams and she still got into Russel Group. I know that Oxbridge is often more strict than other Russel Group unis but you won't miss out on anything by just having 1 GCSE less.

ReputationRep:
    they won't be bothered provided you perform reasonably in them. Not much need for your school to explain circumstances either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funim)
    Yep, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't look weirdly on it unless you had less than 5

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your grades, but Oxbridge takes your school into consideration, so I'd think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funim)
    I'm a current Oxford student and I only have two GCSEs, so yes - don't worry about it and just make sure it's fully explained by your referee.

Good luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You're life is not over because you have one less GCSE:nah:

The Earth is still spinning:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I have 8 including triple science because I did a double IT btec lol. For cambridge at least, how you are doing with a-level is way more important. Also oxford do care about gcses but I think(?) they care about the % of A*s you get. So say if you got 6A*s and 2As, that would be as impressive as some private school kid getting 9A*s and 3As. I got 4A*s (maths+triple science), 3As and 1C so yeah a bit below average at cambridge but I am actually doing way than most people in my further maths class who got way more A*s than me.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I feel a bit reassured now... This has been playing on my mind for a lot lately

ReputationRep:
    You need 8 in most cases to get in. So 9 in absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsandP)
    You need 8 in most cases to get in. So 9 in absolutely fine
    Is this from knowledge from past experiences? Thank you for the contribution though
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funim)
    Is this from knowledge from past experiences? Thank you for the contribution though
    Last year a large number of candidates achieved an offer with 9 GCSEs. So many we can't easily work it out.

Please note that Oxford also conetxtualises GCSE results as this link explains so your profile will take into account what is typical for your school:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...al-data?wssl=1

We hope this answers your query but please tag us @BrasensoeAdm if you have others you think we can help with.

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Last year a large number of candidates achieved an offer with 9 GCSEs. So many we can't easily work it out.

Please note that Oxford also conetxtualises GCSE results as this link explains so your profile will take into account what is typical for your school:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...al-data?wssl=1

We hope this answers your query but please tag us @BrasensoeAdm if you have others you think we can help with.

Brasenose Admissions
    Hi
    I'm hoping to study law at Oxford or Cambridge in the future. However, I chose to take 9 GCSES, whereas the majority of my friends at school took at least 10 (albeit some failed one or more, in some cases). My results are good (7A*s, 1A and 1B), with A*s in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Spanish, English Language, Maths, the A in English Lit and the B in Media.
    I've just heard that Oxford in particular look at your GCSEs within the context of your school - do you think the fact that most of my schoolmates took 10 or more GCSEs will make me look bad for taking 9? I spoke to my teacher about my results and he said I'm probably in the top 2 or 3 in my year, but I'm just worried the number of GCSEs will hold me back?
    Thanks in advance
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cricinfo)
    Hi
    I'm just worried the number of GCSEs will hold me back?
    Thanks in advance
    You've identified one of the biggest reasons why prospective candidates don't apply: under-estimation of their own prior achievement level and over-estimation of that of others.

Last year, of those interviewed to interview for Law, the lower quartile achieved 6 A*s at GCSE and the median 8 A*s.

ReputationRep:
    I thought 9 was fairly normal? Am I high?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    9 is pretty average/normal. some schools do more because they have compulsory subjects they wanted to enforce like welsh in Wales and RE. then some will want students to do at least 2 short courses. loads of different compulsory subjects at different schools. they'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It's about A levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.