Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm interested in reading my first Stephen King novel, but don't know where to start!

I don't want to start off with anything too scary as i'm a bit apprehensive as to whether I will like it, I enjoy horror films but I find horror books a bit scarier, but I dont know I may be wrong!

I would welcome any personal recommendations!

Thank you
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyspeller)
    Hi,

I'm interested in reading my first Stephen King novel, but don't know where to start!

I don't want to start off with anything too scary as i'm a bit apprehensive as to whether I will like it, I enjoy horror films but I find horror books a bit scarier, but I dont know I may be wrong!

Thank you
    Begin at the beginning with Carrie!

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend IT but its such a mega read and The Shining which is far better than the movie or maybe start off with The Dark Tower series.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Misery

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you
    Don't read Carrie. That was King's first novel so it doesn't show his full talent as a writer. King doesn't just write horror. He has also written books in other genres.

Here is the reading order I would recommend.

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. This is a novella and is a very good read.
    Pet Semetary
    Misery
    The Shining
    The Dark Tower.
    IT- very long so I would recommend only reading this once you've read a lot of his shorter works
    The Stand- this is King's masterpiece. This is the book that shows King at his best. This is very long too but it is worth the read.

ReputationRep:
    Only one I've read is The Shining but I loved it

ReputationRep:
    the shining !! and then salem's lot

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you
    Different seasons!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I would say 11.22.63, but it's so thick it might be off putting. That being said, King's writing just sucks you in so you don't really feel like you're spending massive amounts of time.

I would go with Carrie- fairly shortish but still a really fascinating read. If you prefer something that's kinda slow paced, but that will give you the ultimate heebie-jeebies, try Revival. Could not sleep after reading that.

Haha :cry:

Good Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.