Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Failed University twice, dead end job, really need advice... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am in desperate need of advice as I come to a point in my life where I am scared to think about my future. I am 24 years old and it’s safe to say I have matured a considerable amount in the last 6 years, and it has only become apparent of the consequences of stupid decisions in my past that I could end up paying for the rest of my life.

I passed college at 18 and went onto study at university. This was a foundation year. I was very immature and looking back the course I went to study didn't suit me at all. I also applied for the student accommodation with the optimistic hope that all student loans and maintenance grants would cover it. It did not. I moved back to my parents and subsequently lost interest in the course, therefore dropping out.

The second time I went to a college to study a HNC/HND course in IT. At this time I had family issues and had to work, I dropped out of this course a couple of months after starting.

Looking back now I cannot express the level of regret I wake up to daily. I have significant regrets in my life already at the age of 24. I am stuck in a dead end job on nights, wondering what I have left for my future. I am aware that University isn’t everything but the majority of people around me have recently passed and I have only realised over the past couple of years the severity of my actions.

I made a THIRD APPLICATION back in 2015 for another foundation course in IT. I was accepted through student finance for the maintenance grant HOWEVER they will not pay for the tuition fees. They told me I would have to pay for the first year upfront.

I am well aware at this point through various threads on this site that the chance of going to university is bleak. However I am determined to get some level of education and make something of myself.

I am hoping that due to the fact that both courses were either foundation years or a HNC that this would not completely affect any chance I had of going back into education.

I am asking for advice on the options I have left. I also am in work which would help cover the costs. These are the options that I am left with; please tell me if there are any more of if I am being unrealistic.

1) Somehow... get funded for a 3 year degree level course...
    2) SAVE the money for the first year of the 3 year course
    3) Get funded for a 2 year HNC/HND course (with help from myself)
    4) Get funded for an ONLINE course or Open University
    5) Apply for a course through an “Advanced Learner Loan”
    6) Study abroad

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you keep doing foundation year? It uses more Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do you keep doing foundation year? It uses more Student Finance.
    Mainly because I only achieved PPP in my college course. This meant it was going to be difficult to get accepted for a normal course. My college advised me to choose a course with a foundation year as this gave me more chance of passing the course.

The second year i went BACK to the first college to study Level 4/5 HNC.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coyi4140)
    Hi,
    I am in desperate need of advice as I come to a point in my life where I am scared to think about my future. I am 24 years old and it’s safe to say I have matured a considerable amount in the last 6 years, and it has only become apparent of the consequences of stupid decisions in my past that I could end up paying for the rest of my life.

I passed college at 18 and went onto study at university. This was a foundation year. I was very immature and looking back the course I went to study didn't suit me at all. I also applied for the student accommodation with the optimistic hope that all student loans and maintenance grants would cover it. It did not. I moved back to my parents and subsequently lost interest in the course, therefore dropping out.

The second time I went to a college to study a HNC/HND course in IT. At this time I had family issues and had to work, I dropped out of this course a couple of months after starting.

Looking back now I cannot express the level of regret I wake up to daily. I have significant regrets in my life already at the age of 24. I am stuck in a dead end job on nights, wondering what I have left for my future. I am aware that University isn’t everything but the majority of people around me have recently passed and I have only realised over the past couple of years the severity of my actions.

I made a THIRD APPLICATION back in 2015 for another foundation course in IT. I was accepted through student finance for the maintenance grant HOWEVER they will not pay for the tuition fees. They told me I would have to pay for the first year upfront.

I am well aware at this point through various threads on this site that the chance of going to university is bleak. However I am determined to get some level of education and make something of myself.

I am hoping that due to the fact that both courses were either foundation years or a HNC that this would not completely affect any chance I had of going back into education.

I am asking for advice on the options I have left. I also am in work which would help cover the costs. These are the options that I am left with; please tell me if there are any more of if I am being unrealistic.

6) Study abroad

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey,

As for your options,

You could apply for job agencies at your local town centre's, there are many warehouse jobs available such as picker, packer, operative.

You could study at the Open University for any degree you want.

For funding, research private student funding, you may be asked a guarantor with your application.

Also, if you are interested programming, IT field, there is lots of routes, you could get a programmer, developer job without experience or a degree if you follow this plan:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4761776

Also for networking you can take a N+ certification, volunteer as a network admin, then shoot for the CCNA, then go for the network engineer, analyst roles.

Also there is a financial planning where you can take a para planner certification/financial planning diploma I believe, volunteer then start off as a junior financial planner.

Good luck

Mainly because I only achieved PPP in my college course. This meant it was going to be difficult to get accepted for a normal course. My college advised me to choose a course with a foundation year as this gave me more chance of passing the course.

The second year i went BACK to the first college to study Level 4/5 HNC.
    Why not go back to college then do a access course so you can go straight to year 1?

ReputationRep:
    Why not go back to college then do a access course so you can go straight to year 1?
    I am open to any course I can enroll for. However I am unaware if I will get the tuition funding for this...

I am open to any course I can enroll for. However I am unaware if I will get the tuition funding for this...
    You will get a adult learner loan, it gets wiped off if you complete first year of uni.

How many years of funding do you have left?

ReputationRep:
    You will get a adult learner loan, it gets wiped off if you complete first year of uni.

How many years of funding do you have left?
    I apologise i still am unaware of what you are trying to explain to me. About it getting "wiped off".

Im not sure exactly the amount of funding I have left. I must have used up two years... ??

ReputationRep:
    Study abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Go travelling

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

6) Study abroad

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. But, it's good that you're still determined to further your education.

Could you not get a career development loan to help fund the studies?

https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans

ReputationRep:
    Why not apply for a higher apprenticeship? you will get your desired university degree whilst getting paid and afterwards you will have great career prospects in said company. You aren't to old either as I am doing one with people your age only just starting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend doing the Open University. I'm doing it. Much cheaper and very possible and you get accredited and recognised degrees at the end. Sorting out finance is basically the only requirement to get started. You can pay for parts yourself or get a loan for certain parts. I'd recommend just getting a loan though because you may never have to pay for it.

Hi,

6) Study abroad

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaguei)
    Why not apply for a higher apprenticeship? you will get your desired university degree whilst getting paid and afterwards you will have great career prospects in said company. You aren't to old either as I am doing one with people your age only just starting.
    Thank you for your reply. I have been trying to get onto an apprenticeship for a couple of years now. Due to my lack of success I have felt the need to go back to education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    I would recommend doing the Open University. I'm doing it. Much cheaper and very possible and you get accredited and recognised degrees at the end. Sorting out finance is basically the only requirement to get started. You can pay for parts yourself or get a loan for certain parts. I'd recommend just getting a loan though because you may never have to pay for it.
    Thank you for your reply. This is a great idea and one that would very much suit myself. However I really don't know too much about how it would be funded. Or generally how much their courses are? I doubt student finance would pay if they are reluctant to pay me for a normal course....

ReputationRep:
    how about just not studying.

No offense, but studying is not for everyone - and after hitting your head on a brick wall so many times, you have to ask, why hit it again?

Loose the idea that studying is the only path to achieving good things in your life, and focus on other routes that may suit you better.

Your working nights? great. use some of the day-time to start your own business.. or to self-train in a new skill, or to look for a new entry level job that has better prospects for progression (if you work hard)

Heck, I would even say joining the army would probably be a better option then joining university again.. they will kick you into gear, and give you great prospects, and give you options for further training and studying.

There are plenty of ways of making it in life, university is just one, and you should fully consider all of your options before trying to go down a route you have failed at many times before.. again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's under £1k for one module in Wales, Scotland and Ireland. It's about £2.3k per module in England. As I am in Wales, my degree will cost about £5700.

They use Student Finance England or Wales to fund the loans, but you can pay directly yourself. I'd recommend ringing up SF and asking if they would reconsider giving you a loan. If the answer is no, then your option would be to save up or accept defeat.

Thank you for your reply. This is a great idea and one that would very much suit myself. However I really don't know too much about how it would be funded. Or generally how much their courses are? I doubt student finance would pay if they are reluctant to pay me for a normal course....

ReputationRep:
    You can find more info about Open University here (http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-and-funding). You can study full time or part time to suit your work needs and financial status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    how about just not studying.

No offense, but studying is not for everyone - and after hitting your head on a brick wall so many times, you have to ask, why hit it again?

Loose the idea that studying is the only path to achieving good things in your life, and focus on other routes that may suit you better.

Your working nights? great. use some of the day-time to start your own business.. or to self-train in a new skill, or to look for a new entry level job that has better prospects for progression (if you work hard)

Heck, I would even say joining the army would probably be a better option then joining university again.. they will kick you into gear, and give you great prospects, and give you options for further training and studying.

There are plenty of ways of making it in life, university is just one, and you should fully consider all of your options before trying to go down a route you have failed at many times before.. again.
    Thank you for your reply but I think you have mistaken some of what I have said. I have always known I wanted to go to university, however I have used up my attempts at an age where I simply wasn't ready. I am 7 years older now and I have realised my mistakes. Its not an excuse and I take full responsibility for my naivety. BUT I am exploring ways in how to rectify this through any means possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    It's under £1k for one module in Wales, Scotland and Ireland. It's about £2.3k per module in England. As I am in Wales, my degree will cost about £5700.

They use Student Finance England or Wales to fund the loans, but you can pay directly yourself. I'd recommend ringing up SF and asking if they would reconsider giving you a loan. If the answer is no, then your option would be to save up or accept defeat.
    Do they offer maintenance grants and loans as well as tuition fees? This is something which I will strongly consider. Reason why I ask is because Student Finance are reluctant to give me the FIRST years funding. I am now looking at using loans and grants to pay off tuition fees if required as I only need funding for tuition.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.