Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Considering the state of the NHS and taking into consideration everything regarding both professions which would you choose?
    I have always wanted to be a doctor and everything I have done in school and my undergrad was so I could do medicine. Circumstances resulted in my A-levels not good enough for medicine so I did Human Bioscience with the intention of doing GEM. Recently, I have considered other professions such as a teacher or paramedic. I have really been thinking about whether I want to put myself through the pressure of trying to get into medicine.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonzig)
    Considering the state of the NHS and taking into consideration everything regarding both professions which would you choose?
    I have always wanted to be a doctor and everything I have done in school and my undergrad was so I could do medicine. Circumstances resulted in my A-levels not good enough for medicine so I did Human Bioscience with the intention of doing GEM. Recently, I have considered other professions such as a teacher or paramedic. I have really been thinking about whether I want to put myself through the pressure of trying to get into medicine.
    Going to move this over to careers for you where you should get some better replies, but what is it you want to do about the careers you're thinking about? They are very different professions, all of them you should be able to get jobs in and are in demand but what you'll be doing, pay etc are obviously massively different. I wouldn't let the NHS put you off at all, and if you want to do medicine then there is no harm in trying for it (although that will have to be next year now- the others you could start in 2018 potentially). I would give some thought to what it is you're actually looking for. Do you want to work with children? Would you be good in emergency situations and on the spot? Long hours? Awkward shifts? Driving? These are all things to consider. Good luck whichever you decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonzig)
    Well, the state of the NHS is partly due to Brexit and all the doctors leaving the UK as well as the fact it takes 5 years or so to become a doctor which is off putting to some so now there's a huge shortage of doctors which is why all the doctors are stressed and why it takes a long time to get an appointment. Doctors also have extremely high rates of depression but if you're interested in medicine and sciences then it'd be an extremely fulfilling job with a nice salary.

Being a teacher is an extremely stressful job also with nearly half struggling with mental health problems, they also have long hours (not like 24 hour shifts doctors get) but they need to mark homework, plan lessons, deal with numerous different classes daily, in the end they receive a decent salary and a job which can also be fulfilling, and it'd be less stressful getting into a UNI to become a teacher I assume.

I personally would choose doctor as I want to do that myself anyways, I really really like sciences and medicine interests me a lot which is why I want to do it, in the end it's up to you what you want to do, also, if you had circumstances that dropped your A-Level grades then I'm sure you can still apply and mention it in your PS they'd give you a shot considering your GCSE's were good and you had some nice work experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.