ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    x
    Try downloading uBlock Origin - it works.

Right click the purple box and select block element. In the right hand corner a box will come up so hover over it and click "preview" it should get rid of the purple box. If it does select "create".

ReputationRep:
    So I've whitelisted TSR, got the green thumbs up on adblock, I see all the annoying ads, and I still keep getting the adblock message screen, except it never even goes to the message with me, but just presents me with a white page that never loads.

(Original post by Tian1Sky)
    So I've whitelisted TSR, got the green thumbs up on adblock, I see all the annoying ads, and I still keep getting the adblock message screen, except it never even goes to the message with me, but just presents me with a white page that never loads.
    Download uBlock Origin
    Don't whitelist TSR
    'Zap' the pop-up message with element zapper
    Enjoy ad-free experience
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    If you have Adblock Plus on Chrome then you can click on the Adblock Plus icon, click Block Element and click that nasty purple box thingy. I don't know if it works on Firefox as well but I know there is an extension you can get for Firefox that also enables this.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest guys they're entitled to take steps to protect their ad revenue. You're not just automatically entitled to use other people's websites for free.

That said, I personally have adblocked the please-dont-use-adblock banner, so :dontknow:

I also clicked through to buy a pass, and would have done if it were a set fee rather than based on page views. Looks like no-one is happy with that, so they should probably rethink it (or put a stronger anti-adblock mechanism in place).

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    To be honest guys they're entitled to take steps to protect their ad revenue. You're not just automatically entitled to use other people's websites for free.

That said, I personally have adblocked the please-dont-use-adblock banner, so :dontknow:

I also clicked through to buy a pass, and would have done if it were a set fee rather than based on page views. Looks like no-one is happy with that, so they should probably rethink it (or put a stronger anti-adblock mechanism in place).
    I wouldn't mind if they hijacked my CPU a bit to mine blockchains, but I have a strict data cap and also don't appreciate their tracking elements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    If you have Adblock Plus on Chrome then you can click on the Adblock Plus icon, click Block Element and click that nasty purple box thingy. I don't know if it works on Firefox as well but I know there is an extension you can get for Firefox that also enables this.
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    Download uBlock Origin
    Don't whitelist TSR
    'Zap' the pop-up message with element zapper
    Enjoy ad-free experience
    Thanks for the tips, will check them out.

ReputationRep:
    they're entitled to protect their ad revenue. You're not just automatically entitled to use other people's websites for free.
    I personally have adblocked the please-dont-use-adblock banner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    lol I'm just saying you can't blame them for what they're doing, that's all. Lot of people seem really irritated at TSR for doing something which is obviously sensible from their perspective.

ReputationRep:
    lol I'm just saying you can't blame them for what they're doing, that's all. Lot of people seem really irritated at TSR for doing something which is obviously sensible from their perspective.
    You can't blame them for airing criticism or complaints when you yourself have the complaint or criticism that has caused you to use adblocker.

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting, TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    You can't blame them for airing criticism or complaints when you yourself have the complaint or criticism that has caused you to use adblocker.
    Pretty sure I can and did.

I stopped it unilaterally because I could. That's different from complaining about it, as though they're doing something wrong. They're obviously not.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I can and did.

I stopped it unilaterally because I could. That's different from complaining about it, as though they're doing something wrong. They're obviously not.
    Please don't try to act badass, it's cringeworthy. Just stop hypocritically whining.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.