ReputationRep:
    Also, if you're struggling so much for cash with those server costs, why do you appear to be sitting on over £1.5m in cash assets?

Additionally, if you're going to try and charge 1p per page view to compensate for ad revenue, shouldn't that mean that even with 1/3rd being blocked you should make over £6,500 per day or over £2.35m per year from ads give your self-proclaimed over a million page views per day? Which is it - is this amount of money not enough for you to meet costs (really?), or are you holding out the begging bowl to students with precious little time or money as it is to try and increase your profits?

ReputationRep:
    And a final bit of feedback. I turned by Adblock off, to be bombarded by three ads asking if I wanted help applying for university. Despite me being signed up and actively posting here for over six years, and having given you my date of birth, your 'smart' advertising can't quite figure out that I'm a bit past the UCAS process now? That wouldn't be what I call relevent.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully, adblock blocks pop up messages. :lol:
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Sorry, I give my time for free to help people - perhaps I should ask you for money to pay for my time?
    Indeed. I don't know much about business or technology, but even I understand that it's not a good idea to annoy and alienate your users on a website than depends on user-generated content.
    • Very Important Poster

I would have thought a rethink about the way its been implemented might be in order. Other websites manage it much less clumsily and without alienating the users. I guess the numbers will tell.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    I concur, a rethink is absolutely needed.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    I would have thought a rethink about the way its been implemented might be in order. Other websites manage it much less clumsily and without alienating the users. I guess the numbers will tell.
    I also agree here.

(Original post by Snufkin)
    Indeed. I don't know much about business or technology, but even I understand that it's not a good idea to annoy and alienate your users on a website than depends on user-generated content.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Paracosm)
    I concur, a rethink is absolutely needed.

I also agree here.
    I dont really like to comment,, but considering its not made many threads then id imagine everyones made a decision or found a solution one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    Captain Jack I'm using NoScript on Firefox and when I disable it ~just for you~ I still get that ugly purple pop up.

Fix it.

Question: when I first visit the site with NoScript running, I get an access denied. So why is that pop up even necessary, since the only way I can even view the site in the first place is by disabling NoScript? It's so much easier to close the tab entirely and do something else than it is to scroll past the tens of scripts y'all run to press "temp allow domain", only to keep getting that stupid message taking up a quarter of the screen afterwards.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi again everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback – we definitely hear what you’re saying.

We obviously haven't got this quite right and we’re going to pause the banner ASAP for members. We're definitely up for not showing it to our heaviest members / most regular members as you contribute so much to the site. If we can make a change so heavy posting members don't see it quickly we will, otherwise we'll pause it entirely until we can do that. It may take a few days before we can do this but if we can pause it quicker we will.

The solution we have is an industry standard one from Google as an attempt to solve the adblocker problem affecting the publishing industry. Which hopefully explains why it is the way it is, as this is something suggested for sites to use.

We wanted to say thanks to everyone who understands the problem and do want to support TSR, it’s great to know you do support the site as a resource for students. We’ll collect all of your suggestions and discuss them too.

We’ll keep you updated on next steps.

Jack

ReputationRep:
    The Student Room isn't worth paying for a pass. It takes to long to load with the adverts.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are trained to ignore questions about clickbait, aren't you? Your leader didn't have the balls to do it on his AMA and the staff obviously now don't either.

As Saoirse:3 already showed, you're not hurting for money. You already have an INCREDIBLE team of CAs like Paracosm who do most of your managing for you. Is it that hard to admit you just want money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your posts about the new adblocker support messages. I thought I'd quickly explain why they've started appearing and address a few of the concerns for you.

The reason we've had to add the messages is down to the fact The Student Room is a free website for everyone - and an important one for many students, one we don't want anyone to have to pay for - but the only way we can provide that service is through generating money to pay for the many servers and infrastructure through advertising. About a 1/3 of our audience use ad blockers which is having quite a big impact.

We've made big leaps forward in recent years to make ads more relevant for everyone and to provide a better experience. We're also continuing to improve the way we display ads based on your feedback, for instance we are positioning them in places that will ensure uninterrupted content and we are reducing the number of pop up boxes. We know people found the big ad sliding down the page a bit much, so we have moved that one and stopped it from doing that based on your feedback

The new messages are just a way to explain to people with ad blockers on how much it can cause a problem for us providing that free service for everyone. We'd also rather everyone see ads so we can continue to improve them with your feedback. So we are asking people to consider whitelisting us to support the site if you like using it, and of course you are still free to make the choice.

Please do consider whitelisting us if you do have adblocker turned on. This removes the banner immediately and helps to keep TSR free for every student. If concerned about the general practice commonly used by sites these days of using data, I believe there is a way of opting out of this through Google.

In terms of addressing some concerns, if you have whitelisted us and are still seeing the messaging or are then experiencing problems with the site, that shouldn't be happening it's a bug - so please let us know your browser and blocker used so we can investigate.

Thank you

Jack
    Don't worry. I just used my ad block to block you banner.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    You guys are trained to ignore questions about clickbait, aren't you? Your founder didn't have the balls to do it on his AMA and the staff obviously now don't either.

As Saoirse:3 already showed, you're not hurting for money. You already have an INCREDIBLE team of CAs like Paracosm who do most of your managing for you. Is it that hard to admit you just want money?
    Hey now, ChrisN is really busy doing a whole load of stuff. I think that whilst you're raising a valid point and you're interested about the clickbait, would you mind making sure that you're not too aggressive in your questioning? I think it's really important we have this discussion and I encourage it - but please make sure to watch your tone if that's OK.

Take care
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    You guys are trained to ignore questions about clickbait, aren't you? Your leader didn't have the balls to do it on his AMA and the staff obviously now don't either.

Hey now, ChrisN is really busy doing a whole load of stuff. I think that whilst you're raising a valid point and you're interested about the clickbait, would you mind making sure that you're not too aggressive in your questioning? I think it's really important we have this discussion and I encourage it - but please make sure to watch your tone if that's OK.

Take care
    Hiya,
    We don't want to be posting things that are intentionally deceptive click bait, so if you spot that, please do let us know.
    At the same time, we do want to have things on site that are popular and we've gone to big lengths to make Today on TSR more popular. It is now used 100 - 200% more each week than this time last year due to faster updating with more links per day and with catchier headlines. Which, over the year is a huge increase in its use. It is increasingly popular which suggests that most people 'on the whole' don't find it significantly click baity otherwise they would have stopped using it.
    Jack

ReputationRep:

Take care
    I apologise, and agree aggression isn't the key. It's a little hard not to show some irritation however when said staff continually refuse to acknowledge what they're doing - I mean, raising hopes about Oxbridge for a lot of people who are probably nervous right now, just for their own profit? It's low, and I've no doubt they're aware of that.

Again, I don't want to sound aggressive or anything of the sort - like you, I just want this discussed, or at the least transparency. Or realistically, people like you that work hard to keep this site going to get the actual respect you deserve.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    We don't want to be posting things that are intentionally deceptive click bait, so if you spot that, please do let us know.
    At the same time, we do want to have things on site that are popular and we've gone to big lengths to make Today on TSR more popular. It is now used 100 - 200% more each week than this time last year due to faster updating with more links per day and with catchier headlines. Which, over the year is a huge increase in its use. It is increasingly popular which suggests that most people 'on the whole' don't find it significantly click baity otherwise they would have stopped using it.
    Jack
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

There are a few occasional examples, like the one I mentioned about last week's (paraphrased) "Can I get into Oxford with a U grade", which ended up being redirected to someone asking if their lifelong disability would hold them back, on the same week as a lot of people are growing nervous about the Oxbridge deadline. Or right now's "I only want to have sex in the dark", when realistically, they're asking if it's a normal thing to do - obviously not as severe, but it's just changing the context/implications for no general reason.

The nature of clickbait itself is to be deceiving, though. One withdraws certain information or context in order to make a viewer want to see the conclusion - I'm not entirely sure how you can have non-deceptive clickbait unless a user themselves genuinely does write something that outrageous.

I wasn't aware it was being used quite as much, though; general consensus I'd picked up over time had said otherwise, but if it is, I see and respect at least why you have it.

Again, thank you for responding. I appreciate that.
    • PS Reviewer

As people have pointed out, there are numerous issues with enforcing ads or an ad-blocker pop-up on people. My solution was simple and I have either blocked the pop-up or used tampermonkey to disable the pop-up via JS. I'm sure you will find people who can work this out if they haven't already.

As someone mentioned above, I do not use this website at all. It does not provide me with any benefit or help; however, I fully admit that it has done in the past. For that, I helped the website by paying for membership when I was able. Now, I only provide advice and help others. I see no need for me to owe the website anything in the way of advertising revenue and am most displeased it was forced on to me. There are many in my position and there is little by way of acknowledgement of this. In order to provide your non-student users some gratitude, the least you should do is incentivise them to continue providing their help and advice for free. After all, I am sure that we all have better things to do than to dedicate our altruism to TSR.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi again everyone,

We obviously haven't got this quite right and we’re going to pause the banner ASAP for members. We're definitely up for not showing it to our heaviest members / most regular members as you contribute so much to the site. If we can make a change so heavy posting members don't see it quickly we will, otherwise we'll pause it entirely until we can do that. It may take a few days before we can do this but if we can pause it quicker we will.

The solution we have is an industry standard one from Google as an attempt to solve the adblocker problem affecting the publishing industry. Which hopefully explains why it is the way it is, as this is something suggested for sites to use.

We wanted to say thanks to everyone who understands the problem and do want to support TSR, it’s great to know you do support the site as a resource for students. We’ll collect all of your suggestions and discuss them too.

Jack
    Thanks for listening to us. Maybe show the banner to new users for a brief time? Or maybe not so intrusive and less often? Either way, pop ups can be blocked by adblocker so you need to consider another strategy that doesn't annoy the members.
    I am on a website that has a compassion jar that people donate to almost every day, kind of like the reddit donation bar. Maybe something like that would be better but remember that a lot of people here are young or are students so they're not going to have the funds to donate here. They would be more likely to simply leave the site and look elsewhere for advice to avoid large banners like that.
    Also there are ads on the app that can't be blocked so you're getting some revenue from that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    Jack
    I don't look at that anymore purely because a couple threads had their title completely changed and the actual thread was nothing like the title suggested. I would prefer it if you kept the title the poster put and maybe just correct any spelling mistakes and make the grammar tidier.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi again everyone,

Jack
    I have to say that in my whole time of being here that purple banner was the most annoying thing i have experienced (and you've made some strange changes over the years). If i had to click x every page for more than a week i imagine i'd put my focus elsewhere given that i mainly discuss the non-student stuff here (your politics section for example is generally well moderated and reasonably active with some intelligent people).

Regarding your add problem.. Put that banner down the side after the trending thing but make it permanent. Leave it as a message to turn it off though rather than purchase the add subscription, i had visited 70 pages before i went out earlier.

To increase your revenue though i agree that you should bring back a cheap subscription (£4.99 per month for example). What you need to do though is gear it to each section of the forum though. For the politics section, guarantee some kind of guest each month (there will no doubt be an MP who wants exposure) and in the Mhoc we have members who use skype for general chit chat and instant messaging to replace PM's.. can't be too hard to get an instant messaging service. For fashion and fitness i'm sure we have a few Vloggers to produce content.

Basically you have been smart enough to allow students/ex-students to discuss their wider interests so now you just need to try and monetise that.

Regarding your cash assets - Bravo. As much as a few left leaning members look at students as being innocent, we all know they spend money on tonnes of crap. I'm sure i speak for many in saying that if you can provide a great service and get something from it then you should be congratulated. Students are consumers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.