• Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Students are consumers.
    Nah. Students with consumer mindset get lower grades

(Original post by CastCuraga)
    . Or right now's "I only want to have sex in the dark", when realistically, they're asking if it's a normal thing to do - obviously not as severe, but it's just changing the context/implications for no general reason.
    worth noting that this was 95% likely a troll thread

ReputationRep:
    The purple "Page number #XXX with ads turned off" banner appears to have returned for me. Any more official updates on the whole shenanigans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    And a final bit of feedback. I turned by Adblock off, to be bombarded by three ads asking if I wanted help applying for university. Despite me being signed up and actively posting here for over six years, and having given you my date of birth, your 'smart' advertising can't quite figure out that I'm a bit past the UCAS process now? That wouldn't be what I call relevent.
    Me too. They know my date of birth as well, and they know I frequent the Year 11 discussion thread, but why they want me to "compare uni courses with UniMatch" is probably beyond me. (Right below the screenshot I have taken, there was yet another promotion for UniMatch!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carbon Dioxide)
    Me too. They know my date of birth as well, and they know I frequent the Year 11 discussion thread, but why they want me to "compare uni courses with UniMatch" is probably beyond me. (Right below the screenshot I have taken, there was yet another promotion for UniMatch!)
    I'm more surprised they're using a cosplay of Misty from Pokemon on the left without getting C+D'd tbh
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm very upset about your choice of "today on TSR" for, well, today. You've decided to advertise someone's misery in failing their nursing course and use it as clickbait to attract more page views and gain revenue. I get that you want to make money, but this person is heartbroken and has come to TSR for advice. And now, because it's advertised on the homepage, they're just getting trolls.

It'll get removed in 6 hours when post reports are looked at, but it will be too late then because the damage is done.

They need support. They don't need ridicule by the very site they came to for help.

Captain Jack

ReputationRep:
    I think you should seriously consider offering a subscription package for some sort of premium membership.

I use this site more than enough to justify paying a few pounds a month for some extra features and stuff. I'm sure many other people would too.

Either way I decided to whitelist TSR anyway as I don't find the ads too annoying.

ReputationRep:
    For me the internet is about 3x faster with an adblocker on sites containing ads. The site loading time will be the same without one, but of course since the ads are provided by an external provider such as Google, they load after, which makes the page seem as if it's loaded and suddenly everything will be shifted around when the ads load, which seems annoying. Each time a site adds a detection script for such a notice, custom filters to filter out anti-adblocker messages, and voila, the internet remains fast and cool to use . One of these sites, AllMusic, went into the effort of creating blocks for bypasses, and I managed to bypass these blocks, but anyway, the ads there are really intrusive so I don't consider myself in the wrong.

Obviously if the ads actually loaded with the page and weren't as huge and intrusive, I might think again.

I wouldn't know exactly how much it costs to run this site annually; I'd assume anything up to a million pounds. Assuming 2 million people use this site and 600000 of them use an adblocker, a sixth of which might be willing to pay for a monthly ad-removal pass, it probably doesn't need to cost very much.

By the way, where did the 1/3 estimate come from? Is there a piece of software that allows you to monitor the number of users using an adblocker or similar piece of software, or are the figures based on the proportional loss in revenue since adblockers became popular a couple of years ago?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)

We've made big leaps forward in recent years to make ads more relevant for everyone and to provide a better experience.

Jack
    This is not a good thing, people don't want you spying on their google searches. Generic ads would ironically make less people use adblockers.

ReputationRep:
    ahaahha that looks like utter shite, the nerve on them to force you to use the site looking like this

Ganjaweed Rebel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    ahaahha that looks like utter shite, the nerve on them to force you to use the site looking like this

Ganjaweed Rebel
    That picture is why I'm using adblock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    x
    Jack
    You do this super annoying thing of pop up messages about UCAS clearing applications or freshers guide I literally dont care about them, yet everytime I log on my mobile or browse the site, I have to spend 15 seconds closing the annoying pop up

ReputationRep:
    on mobile, your ad takes 1/5th of my screen and it follows the page so its impossible to avoid. like if you scroll down, the ad follows you.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest such a message asking people to turn off their adblocker is unlikely to have much effect on a site aimed at teenagers and young adults - many will be like me and will simply find a workaround regardless. I know adblockers can loose a site revenue (which most sites will still be making enough of already) but intrusive notices can also cause a loss of confidence among users, at least with me. I generally value sites that do not detect adblockers more than sites that do; something worth considering.

Has the site been having financial difficulties lately due to adblocker use, or is it just falling short of meeting its profit target, I wonder?
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    Name:  2017-10-20.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  229.1 KB
    Make your life easier...

ReputationRep:
    No
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Every new page I load I get a pop up asking whether I'm interested in student stuff. I left University quite a few years ago, so I click NOT interested. But the blasted thing keeps popping up.

Please sort it out, it's frustrating to have to click it off every two minutes.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.