The Student Room Group

Missing lectures?

So, I'm the kind-of student who does every bit of homework, goes to every class etc. However, for multiple reasons I've missed 3 lectures and it's stressing me out. The first reason is I had a telephone consultation with my home doctor and I couldn't miss it. I wasn't given a time so I just had to wait. The second reason was that, more clique, I slept through my alarm though I blame this on my ear infection and general ailments that I've suffered with these past two weeks. It was a complete accident but I'm mad with myself.

I'm just worried, perhaps irrationally so, that I can't do well because I've missed 3 lectures? Yeah I know I'm probably being stupid but... just need some comforting words or realistic truths I guess. 😂
It happens, as long as you don't intentionally avoid going to them, and make an effort to review the material you missed, there's no reason to suggest it will adversely affect your studies.
Reply 2
You shouldn’t miss lectures, however just don’t make a habit of it. There’s still over two months of lectures left.
Reply 3
I missed a few lectures, classes and seminars (due to chronic illness/MH issues - they also knew my attendance wouldn't be 100% well in advance, and so they didn't call me in to discuss it or whatever. Don't actually know what my actual attendance was overall during my degree, but it was no where near 100%) and I still got a first.

So long as you're able to catch up on the work and ask for help from lecturers when needed, it shouldn't be too problematic and you should still perform well if you know your subject.
(edited 6 years ago)
In third year, I attended about 3 lectures. You will be fine if your lectures are recorded and you can watch them online.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
So, I'm the kind-of student who does every bit of homework, goes to every class etc. However, for multiple reasons I've missed 3 lectures and it's stressing me out. The first reason is I had a telephone consultation with my home doctor and I couldn't miss it. I wasn't given a time so I just had to wait. The second reason was that, more clique, I slept through my alarm though I blame this on my ear infection and general ailments that I've suffered with these past two weeks. It was a complete accident but I'm mad with myself.

I'm just worried, perhaps irrationally so, that I can't do well because I've missed 3 lectures? Yeah I know I'm probably being stupid but... just need some comforting words or realistic truths I guess. 😂

Don't spend time and mental energy beating yourself up over missing three lectures when you could be using that time and energy to catch up with what you missed. Go. Back to the books. Now.
Reply 6
As everyones said, it's not the end of the world missing a couple of lectures, just don't make a habit of it. My undergrad years consisted of really poor attendance and as a result, I ended up with just scraping a 2:2, attending at least 95% of my post grad classes helped get the grade I wanted :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Flx1
As everyones said, it's not the end of the world missing a couple of lectures, just don't make a habit of it. My undergrad years consisted of really poor attendance and as a result, I ended up with just scraping a 2:2, attending at least 95% of my post grad classes helped get the grade I wanted :smile:

This is so true. Lecturers are more likely to offer extra support/guidance if you attend and engage, however if you don’t then they’re not as helpful. It is fair because if you can’t be bothered to turn up (unless you have extenuating circumstances, that’s a different story all together). Why should they go out their way to help you?

They also give out hints on what will come up on the exam etc..
Reply 8
Original post by SteamboatMickey

I wouldn't like to guess what percentage I had in first year but I had 22% attendance in 2nd year, 30% odd in 3rd year - I think I only went to compulsory lab sessions. Uni is all about independent study, as long as you put the work in your fine. One or two isn't going to hurt you, just make sure to catch up and read around the subject.
(edited 6 years ago)
Unless you're only in 10% of the time, or your grades suck, it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest