Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CIE messed up my IGCSE English literature grade Watch

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a remark for my IGCSE literature exam. I was awarded an A but when I got my scripts back they'd given me 30/50 in paper 1 and 28/50 in paper 2 for a total of 58. The issue is that the boundary for an A* was 57, I had 58 and got an A. Any advice on figuring out what happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novaswofter)
    I applied for a remark for my IGCSE literature exam. I was awarded an A but when I got my scripts back they'd given me 30/50 in paper 1 and 28/50 in paper 2 for a total of 58. The issue is that the boundary for an A* was 57, I had 58 and got an A. Any advice on figuring out what happened
    The grade boundaries probably give a weighted grade, whereas the grade on the paper would be a raw score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    The grade boundaries probably give a weighted grade, whereas the grade on the paper would be a raw score.
    There's no weighting in this spec
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Talk to school; are you sure you are looking at the right grade boundaries and that raw marks were used for these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Talk to school; are you sure you are looking at the right grade boundaries and that raw marks were used for these?
    I talked to the exams officer at my school. She said that what I was saying was the correct,but she actually didn't know what to do, and told me to wait.

ReputationRep:
    There's no weighting in this spec
    just took a look at the grade boundaries and there are numerous different pathways. Are you sure you're looking at the correct one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    just took a look at the grade boundaries and there are numerous different pathways. Are you sure you're looking at the correct one?
    Yeah option AY, papers 12 and 22

ReputationRep:
    Yeah option AY, papers 12 and 22
    Can you link to this?

ReputationRep:
    Can you link to this?
    http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...-june-2017.pdf. I did option AY

ReputationRep:
    Exams officer needs to ring up the board and query it - ut needs to be sorted before certificates are printed if possible.
    When did you get the remark back?

ReputationRep:
    Exams officer needs to ring up the board and query it - ut needs to be sorted before certificates are printed if possible.
    When did you get the remark back?
    Already got my certificate. Remark came back yesterday

ReputationRep:
    Already got my certificate. Remark came back yesterday
    That's very late - the last of ours came back weeks ago. Was the request for a remark submitted on time?

Get exams officer to ring TODAY - don't leave it.

ReputationRep:
    That's very late - the last of ours came back weeks ago. Was the request for a remark submitted on time?

Get exams officer to ring TODAY - don't leave it.
    I'm not at the same school any more. I sent my remark on the 10th but my old school tool a week to process it. Did you ask for a priority remark? I've talked to the exams officer over the phone and I was told that she'd call them up later today as she has a few classes to take.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at the same school any more. I sent my remark on the 10th but my old school tool a week to process it. Did you ask for a priority remark? I've talked to the exams officer over the phone and I was told that she'd call them up later today as she has a few classes to take.
    I'm a teacher -priority remarks are only for uni places. DO follow this up though and let us know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a teacher -priority remarks are only for uni places. DO follow this up though and let us know.
    Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to let you know! Fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    My old schools exam officer called me up. I have to take my statement of results and the actual certificate to school. Hoping it changes

ReputationRep:
    My old schools exam officer called me up. I have to take my statement of results and the actual certificate to school. Hoping it changes
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Good luck
    I went and I was told that I should appeal their remark decision. I told them fine,and they said they'd submit it as soon as I left. The thing is though I don't know exactly what an appeal is and it didn't strike me to ask them when I was there. Do you happen to know what it is?

ReputationRep:
    I went and I was told that I should appeal their remark decision. I told them fine,and they said they'd submit it as soon as I left. The thing is though I don't know exactly what an appeal is and it didn't strike me to ask them when I was there. Do you happen to know what it is?
    It's explained here:

http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...about-results/

ReputationRep:
    Read the letter that comes with the result of the review very carefully. I have a feeling that CIE have some nasty rule where by they say something along the lines of : yes, the reviewer gave it an extra mark so it looks like the grade should be better but it was subjective so we won't count it and the grade will stay the same..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.