Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm French and I'd like to study midwifery in the UK. I'd like to know if there are some other eu students here. I'm hesitating between
    - training as a nurse in France and then as a midwife in the UK. But I don't know how much time I have to work as a nurse before.
    - Doing the 3 year midwifery course in the UK

Do you know how many times one can apply for each school?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! If you're looking to apply for an undergraduate degree (first degree), then you would apply through the UK application system UCAS. That would mean you could apply for up to 5 universities. You would need references and a personal statement, but its a fairly straightforward application system. However, if you are rejected from that university, then you have to wait another year, until the next application cycle, to apply again.

There is also the option of going through clearing if you receive no offers, but thats a bridge to cross when you come to it.

Alternatively, if you were interested in applying for midwifery as a postgraduate course (after you had already completed the nursing degree) then you would apply to the university directly; most have a form you fill out online. You would need to double check the entry requirements, though, as some universities may only off the course to UK students, others would consider EU students too.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! What is clearing?

ReputationRep:
    Considering that's a long-term project (possibly after my studies here in France), I can bear waiting a year between my applications. But isn't there a limited number of applications for each school? And aren't there interviews? Is it fully comuterised?

ReputationRep:
    I looked it up. Thank you again for your answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weareux)
    Considering that's a long-term project (possibly after my studies here in France), I can bear waiting a year between my applications. But isn't there a limited number of applications for each school? And aren't there interviews? Is it fully comuterised?
    Just to answer your other question - clearing is the facility in the UK whereby you can apply for courses at universities that are not full - they may attract a reduced grade offer, or there will be less competition to get onto the course. You must have applied for UCAS prior to this to be eligible.

So assuming you're looking to apply after training in France, you would normally need an entry qualification (such as an undergraduate degree) or a significant amount of professional training to be considered for the course initially. Then, you can apply to as many institutions as you like (as you will be applying directly) but you can only apply once to each university per course (EG - you could apply for the pre-registration midwifery course, and also apply for the pre-registration nursing course at the same university, but you couldn't apply for the midwifery course twice). Then there may be some competence tests and interviews to attend (depending on university) before an offer is made.

Yes, everything is done online now, so you would send your application to the chosen institution online.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    The problem here in France is that you can only pass the exam for midwifery school two times in your life. And it is national. I understand it is not the case in the UK.
    Can I go through the UCAS if my A-levels were obtained a few years ago?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    The problem here in France is that you can only pass the exam for midwifery school two times in your life. And it is national. I understand it is not the case in the UK.
    Can I go through the UCAS if my A-levels were obtained a few years ago?
    Yes you can some universities require recent study though if your qualifications were obtained a long time ago

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I finally find hope after failing the exam two times in France :/ Plus I've always wanted to go back to the UK (I was born there, but left when I was two, that explains my lack of understanding of the educational system)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a first year student nurse at a university in the UK. Just to add to the information posted by Parkleton, as far as I know every university requires applicants to attend a selection or interview day as part of the application process for nursing and midwifery courses, this may include maths & English tests.

Applying for both nursing and midwifery at the same time, is not recommended, this is due to the differences in the two careers and the need to show the universities you have made an informed choice about the course you have chosen. Applying for two university courses does happen but for a degree like nursing or midwifery it is best to stick to one.

In regards to post graduate midwifery courses, there are conversion courses for registered nurses but these are few & far between and are rumoured to be phased out. I don't think I've ever heard of a post grad midwifery course either. EDIT: I have found one or two after searching online. Kingston for example. It appears these courses take 3 years full time with conversion courses for registered nurses taking 18-20 months.

Some universities have a spring start date so if unsuccessful one year, you may not to have to wait a whole year to apply again. Midwifery is very competitive & over-subscribed so don't count on places entering clearing.

I would recommend researching the universities you would be looking to apply to and finding out about your funding options also. If you are able to visit an open day that would really benefit you, otherwise researching the universities online will help.

I hope this helps & feel free to ask any questions you have.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! In fact most universities have a post-grad conversion course nurses to midwives. It takes 18 months. The idea was to become a nurse in France and then to become a midwife in England. But you seem to think it's a bit complicated. The problem is, I can't come in the UK right now, for I have a boyfriend which isn't willing to move at the moment. So I'm studying statistics in the meanwhile, but I have an opportunity to become a nurse, and maybe that would be a good idea if I could shorten my midwifery studies a bit thanks to that

ReputationRep:
    Is there an interest to student loans?

ReputationRep:
    Is there an interest to student loans?
    Unfortunately! I believe it's 6.1% but I'm not 100% sure

If you do midwifery as a postgraduate qualification it's funded

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but maybe is it funded by the NHS. And as I'm not a UK resident, I can't get funded by the NHS

ReputationRep:
    as your talking about quite a way in the future you may better off doing the french version. we will be out of eu and you wont get any student support it may change but no guarantee.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but maybe is it funded by the NHS. And as I'm not a UK resident, I can't get funded by the NHS
    undergrad healthcare degrees are no longer funded by the NHS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnv)
    undergrad healthcare degrees are no longer funded by the NHS
    it is in wales and scotland. just the tory england controlled nhs

ReputationRep:
    No I was talking about postgrad And as for the brexit, switzerland and Norway are accepting eu students, I don't see why the UK shouldn't

ReputationRep:
    because we have a right wing little britian government in power. plus until each home country treats students from other home countries the same as we do eu students i dont see why scares resources should be used to train none brits that are not committed to working here. .

ReputationRep:
    That's another problem and I understand it seems a bad idea to train students for other countries... And trust me, if my country wasn't so competitive and retarded concerning midwifery, I'd stay home... even if I've always wanted to come back to the UK

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.