The Student Room Group

Keep failing ACA exams

Hey all,

I know after reading this some of you may think that I might be a lost cause but I honestly am motivated to complete my qualification - I would be slumped on what career I would go into that pays as well as an ACA qualified job if I didn't complete this.

I haven't got a degree, and took a few years out of study before getting an ACA training contract with a top 50 firm under a school leaver scheme.

I failed 2 of my certificate level papers but was within my company's exam policy and passed the retakes and subsequent certificate exams. However once the professional stage began I have really hit a wall through lack of preparation more than anything. I struggled to focus much in my revision leading me to fail the first set of professional papers (AA/FAR) And this has affected my motivation so badly because I work in audit and seeing all my colleagues fly through them is really disheartening.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by jimbo911
Hey all,

I know after reading this some of you may think that I might be a lost cause but I honestly am motivated to complete my qualification - I would be slumped on what career I would go into that pays as well as an ACA qualified job if I didn't complete this.

I haven't got a degree, and took a few years out of study before getting an ACA training contract with a top 50 firm under a school leaver scheme.

I failed 2 of my certificate level papers but was within my company's exam policy and passed the retakes and subsequent certificate exams. However once the professional stage began I have really hit a wall through lack of preparation more than anything. I struggled to focus much in my revision leading me to fail the first set of professional papers (AA/FAR) twice in a row! This meant my work place terminated my contract but I had some personal issues and appealed the decision, they allowed me to take the exams one more time. And this has affected my motivation so badly because I work in audit and seeing all my colleagues fly through them is really disheartening. I recently did my third attempt in September and due to get my results on Friday. I'm getting really worried about the results because it will be completely heartbreaking if I was to fail again and how people around the office would see me before my contract was inevitably terminated.

I am time qualified already given that I am a school leaver of 3 years - so if I have failed for the 3rd time, I plan to just pay and take the exams myself in December for the 4th and final time. To solidify my record I am prepared to pay for the next 2 since I've studied for them already and have the materials. I should most definitely pass as I would be revising off my own back and not have a job at that time. My question I guess is, do I have much of an option with 10 exams under my belt even though I've failed so many times? Of course this is hypothetical as I don't have my results yet but I've just lost confidence as to how it feels to pass an exam.

Sorry for the rant

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking?

What else could you do which pays as much as a qualified ACA job? How much would you expect to earn as a qualified ACA?

Where would you stand with 10 exams passed? Given there is a huge shortage of PQ accountants couldn't you just get a job with another firm?
Original post by jimbo911
Hey all,

I failed 2 of my certificate level papers but was within my company's exam policy and passed the retakes and subsequent certificate exams. However once the professional stage began I have really hit a wall through lack of preparation more than anything. I struggled to focus much in my revision leading me to fail the first set of professional papers (AA/FAR) twice in a row! This meant my work place terminated my contract but I had some personal issues and appealed the decision, they allowed me to take the exams one more time. And this has affected my motivation so badly because I work in audit and seeing all my colleagues fly through them is really disheartening. I recently did my third attempt in September and due to get my results on Friday. I'm getting really worried about the results because it will be completely heartbreaking if I was to fail again and how people around the office would see me before my contract was inevitably terminated.

I am time qualified already given that I am a school leaver of 3 years - so if I have failed for the 3rd time, I plan to just pay and take the exams myself in December for the 4th and final time. To solidify my record I am prepared to pay for the next 2 since I've studied for them already and have the materials. I should most definitely pass as I would be revising off my own back and not have a job at that time. My question I guess is, do I have much of an option with 10 exams under my belt even though I've failed so many times? Of course this is hypothetical as I don't have my results yet but I've just lost confidence as to how it feels to pass an exam.

Sorry for the rant

Hey I'm Ellen I currently studying business administration Nd I'm looking for someone to motivate and motivate me if ur interested in studying online together Nd bring up each other's grades that would be great
Don't you have to restart your training contract if you fail an ACA exam? :curious:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending