Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Suggest how an infection with Helicobacter pylori causes stomach ulcers.
    I am stumped . Please help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laboromniavincit)
    What does it do to your body? Where does it affect and what are the symptoms, how does it attack you? If you think about what would happen if symptoms continued and it carried on doing this, what could happen? You might want to look at things like the NHS choices site for it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laboromniavincit)
    H. pylori produces urease, an enzyme that breaks down urea into carbon dioxide and ammonia which neutralises gastric acid, allowing it to colonise the stomach. The ammonia produced is toxic to epithelial cells in the gastric mucosa causing inflammation. H. pylori also releases various proteases and toxins such as VacA and CagA which are toxic to the gastric mucosa causing inflammation (gastritis). It is this inflammation which can lead to ulcers. Also, CagA is also a carcinogen which can cause gastric cancer and gastric MALT lymphoma.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.