The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out of uni and reapplying.. advice???

I've been at uni for two months and really feel like dropping out and reapplying somewhere else for 2018 would be best for me. But I've got lots of questions about reapplying - do I need a new UCAS application? Do I need to apply through my sixth form? Do my references have to come from lecturers (who probably don't even know my name) or can I ask my sixth form teachers again? Can I use the same personal statement or even parts of it or is that considered plagiarism? Do I need to drop out of uni before I can apply elsewhere? What will happen in terms of my student loan and maintenance loan if i drop out before Christmas?

Any help would be appreciated!!
(edited 6 years ago)
My advice is to think about it first. If you want to drop out talk to ucas, student finance and your uni
1) you do need to reapply using a new application for 2017-2018
2)Talk to your sixth form before you do this to see if they can sort out the references from last year.
3) I think you can use the same personal statement again. Don't quote me on that!
4) Talk to student finance regarding your student loan and maintenance
If you don't mind me asking what uni do you want to drop out of?
Have you considered completing this year and then applying to transfer to a different university or applying for second year somewhere else? It may be a better alternative to dropping out completely? Dropping out after two months of uni may put a black mark against your name in some books.
Original post by DreamerGirly
Have you considered completing this year and then applying to transfer to a different university or applying for second year somewhere else? It may be a better alternative to dropping out completely? Dropping out after two months of uni may put a black mark against your name in some books.

If you are looking to do the same course or in the same field, this would be a good option. It is more convenient than having to drop out and reapply for everything again.

If you are looking to do a different course entirely, then dropping out would be the better option as in most cases, staying the entire year would be of no benefit of you. It is best to talk to Student Finance about your loans. It may be that you would only responsible for part of the loans in proportion to the amount of time you studied.
Original post by cheesecakelove
If you are looking to do the same course or in the same field, this would be a good option. It is more convenient than having to drop out and reapply for everything again.

If you are looking to do a different course entirely, then dropping out would be the better option as in most cases, staying the entire year would be of no benefit of you. It is best to talk to Student Finance about your loans. It may be that you would only responsible for part of the loans in proportion to the amount of time you studied.

I thought about that as I want to take the same course at a diff uni but part of the reason I want to drop out is I want to take a gap year for working/travelling/volunteering etc.
Original post by Student 20187
If you don't mind me asking what uni do you want to drop out of?

UEA
Original post by student20171999
I thought about that as I want to take the same course at a diff uni but part of the reason I want to drop out is I want to take a gap year for working/travelling/volunteering etc.

Do you have plans for your gap year at the moment?
Original post by cheesecakelove
Do you have plans for your gap year at the moment?

I have no official plans yet but I haven't made a definite decision out leaving uni and I wanted to find out more about the process before deciding.
Hi, I was in your boat many moons ago. I studied at Birmingham and had no idea why I was doing the course. It was all rushed due to the pressure I felt during college to choose something and apply. After two months I dropped out and discussed the implications with the uni and accommodation team. I'm still indebted to them for my accommodation and part of the student loan but ahh it was a great decision to have made!
I'm thinking about dropping out too, taking the year to do something different and then reapply for next year. I know this uni isn't for me and its been a hard and long few months, and I think i'll defiantly do better next year at a different place.
Hope you get everything sorted and figure out what you want to do!
Reply 11
I feel the same, i want to leave my uni but i thought I'll stick around because of financial implications. Everyday im looking forward to the end of the day and the day when i can get away from here. Im not sure how to leave by the end of the year...do i contact my uni? I guess i will need to inform them and tutors so later when i want to apply for a new uni (which i want to in a years time) i will need their references for ucas? Leaving with no word wont exactly leave a good impression aha. My main reason for wanting to leave is being away 200 miles from my boyfriend and having no friends and flatmates (7 of them) who make me feel uncomfortable every day.
I decided to drop out in the end and although it’s not the same for everyone I feel great about my decision. If you’re unsure student support will offer any advice you need, and don’t feel embarrassed or anything because students drop out more often than you may think! Once you’ve spoken to student support it’s often advised that you speak to your advisor or tutor (even if you’ve already made your decision). Either student support or your tutor should know who to talk to about leaving, and if you’re still unsure you can email the uni and ask. It took under 24 hours for me to leave, so it won’t be difficult. Hope this helps :smile:
Hi My daughter is doing a joint honors in psychology and criminology . She is really struggling with the criminology and wants to suspend her studies at uni and start the whole year in September when she can drop the criminology and just do psychology. She is in private accommodation and can not get out of the contract. Would she still be able to get her last maintenance loan to pay this.

Quick Reply

Latest