Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I made a rookie error on UCAS and copy and pasted the non-edited version of my PS which has grammatical errors. Is this fatal? Should I be worried?
    Just to give some context I have left 6th form, got my grades and everything and in the middle of a year out. Don't know if that makes a difference. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will.devries.9)
    So I made a rookie error on UCAS and copy and pasted the non-edited version of my PS which has grammatical errors. Is this fatal? Should I be worried?
    Just to give some context I have left 6th form, got my grades and everything and in the middle of a year out. Don't know if that makes a difference. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.
    You’ll just have to wait and see. There’s no way to correct it now and pointing out that you copied the wrong draft in is not going to help.

What subject are you applying for? If it’s English then they might consider grammatical errors to be a dealbreaker. For most other courses it’s not going to be a huge issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You’ll just have to wait and see. There’s no way to correct it now and pointing out that you copied the wrong draft in is not going to help.

What subject are you applying for? If it’s English then they might consider grammatical errors to be a dealbreaker. For most other courses it’s not going to be a huge issue.

I'm applying for philosophy and theology

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for philosophy and theology
    It could be useful to contact Oxford via the information provided in the application acknowledgement email and simply explain what has happened. The accuracy and quality of your personal statement could end up being the tiebreaker between you and another applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youyouxue)
    It could be useful to contact Oxford via the information provided in the application acknowledgement email and simply explain what has happened. The accuracy and quality of your personal statement could end up being the tiebreaker between you and another applicant.
    Thank you 😊
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youyouxue)
    This is a terrible idea.

It’s not going to happen that a couple of grammar errors would make the difference between getting an offer or not. Contacting them about it just draws attention to something that would normally be missed or ignored anyway. Highlighting that you made an error has no benefits in this situation.

Thank you 😊

ReputationRep:
    I agree with PQ.

There's no way any admissions tutor is going to use a couple of grammatical errors on a personal statement as a tiebreaker between two applicants.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.