Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will try be as clear with this as possible, and apologies for how it may come accross, but I am absolutely furious, and very stressed. Also please note that I have already used my gift year.

In 2015/16 I started the four year mathematical sciences with a foundation at the University of Liverpool, so I did the year 0.
    2016/17 I transferred to the University of Sheffield and started at year 1 of the MMath mathematics degree, which lasts for 4 years.
    So I spoke with sfe on the phone and was assured that this was ok (used my gift year remember) and that i would recieve full funding because I was progressing from year 0 to year 1. Makes sense. I got full funding for 2016/17.

I actually failed 2016/17 becuase of bereavement and mental illness and so I applied for cpr in order to get funding so I can resit the year. All good so far. Today my application updated to 'approved', but with a tuition fee loan of £0, and no grant etc. I have spoken with 2 people from sfe on the phone this morning and got conflicting information (not unusual). It turns out that I should not have recieved funding for 2016/17, because, I transfered to a course of an equal level?! So I have interpreted this (from the explanation given to me) as, if for example my foundation year at Liverpool were for something like a HND, then I transfered onto the MMath then I would have got funding??!!

Could someone please make clear how transfering universities after a foundation works regarding funding? Also, can I appeal this, or apply for discretionary funding? Because it is clearly down to sfe not assessing my application correctly (lets be honest, incompetence of the assessor) last year. And this also means that because of the overpayment in year 1 I wont recieve funding for my second year when I get there, and I need to pull £18000 worth of tuition fees out of thin air.

Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajtrimnell11)
    I will try be as clear with this as possible, and apologies for how it may come accross, but I am absolutely furious, and very stressed. Also please note that I have already used my gift year.

In 2015/16 I started the four year mathematical sciences with a foundation at the University of Liverpool, so I did the year 0.
    2016/17 I transferred to the University of Sheffield and started at year 1 of the MMath mathematics degree, which lasts for 4 years.
    So I spoke with sfe on the phone and was assured that this was ok (used my gift year remember) and that i would recieve full funding because I was progressing from year 0 to year 1. Makes sense. I got full funding for 2016/17.

I actually failed 2016/17 becuase of bereavement and mental illness and so I applied for cpr in order to get funding so I can resit the year. All good so far. Today my application updated to 'approved', but with a tuition fee loan of £0, and no grant etc. I have spoken with 2 people from sfe on the phone this morning and got conflicting information (not unusual). It turns out that I should not have recieved funding for 2016/17, because, I transfered to a course of an equal level?! So I have interpreted this (from the explanation given to me) as, if for example my foundation year at Liverpool were for something like a HND, then I transfered onto the MMath then I would have got funding??!!

Could someone please make clear how transfering universities after a foundation works regarding funding? Also, can I appeal this, or apply for discretionary funding? Because it is clearly down to sfe not assessing my application correctly (lets be honest, incompetence of the assessor) last year. And this also means that because of the overpayment in year 1 I wont recieve funding for my second year when I get there, and I need to pull £18000 worth of tuition fees out of thin air.

Thank you.
    Hi ajtrimnell11,

Sorry to hear of the difficulties you're having. Hopefully we can look to clear things up. To that end, I have some of questions to help clarify the situation to help give you the best advice. You've already given details on the courses but just to be clear:

The four year Mathematical Sciences with a Foundation had an integrated foundation year, correct? And the years would run Year 0, Year 1, Year 2 and graduate at the end of Year 3?

Is the 4 year MMath an integrated Masters degree? And the years run: Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and graduate at the end of Year 4?

Thanks,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Hello Stuart,

Yes, that is correct.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Stuart,

Yes, that is correct.
    Hi ajtrimnell11,

Thanks for that.

So if you completed the first year of a 4 year course in 2015/16 and transferred to the first year of another 4 year course in 2016/17 then you will have effectively used your additional year of funding (or 'gift year' to use your term) in 2015/16.

At the start of your MMath course your entitlement calculation would be ordinary duration of course, plus additional year, minus years of previous study:

4 + 1 -1 = 4 years of entitlement

Which brings me to the next set of questions. You mentioned submitting CPR evidence.

Was that relating to academic year 2016/17? When did you submit this? And have you had any updates on it being accepted or not?

I know you said the application is now 'Approved' but we would send you a letter advising if we've accepted the CPR evidence or if we require more to be able to accept it.

Thank,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Right, that was what I concerned about last but they said it was ok.

There is a note on my account that I cannot see until tomorrow but the advisor on the phone read it to me. Something along the lines of, my CPR evidence cannot be accecepted because CPR cannot be given for a year that I shouldn’t have got paid for. So it would be accepted if I was entitled to that funding. And this is for 2016/17, my first year at Sheffield.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I am aware of how the length of the course + one year works. But, the advisor I spoke to over a year ago said that because i was going from year 0 to year 1 then that was ok. I am sure you see where I am coming from.

Anyway, is there a way to appeal this or whatever? Since it is not my fault, and I cannot do my course without tuition fee. I am 28 and and have no one supporting me in any way.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Right, that was what I concerned about last but they said it was ok.

There is a note on my account that I cannot see until tomorrow but the advisor on the phone read it to me. Something along the lines of, my CPR evidence cannot be accecepted because CPR cannot be given for a year that I shouldn’t have got paid for. So it would be accepted if I was entitled to that funding. And this is for 2016/17, my first year at Sheffield.

Thank you.
    Also, I am aware of how the length of the course + one year works. But, the advisor I spoke to over a year ago said that because i was going from year 0 to year 1 then that was ok. I am sure you see where I am coming from.

Anyway, is there a way to appeal this or whatever? Since it is not my fault, and I cannot do my course without tuition fee. I am 28 and and have no one supporting me in any way.

Thank you.
    Hi ajtrimnell11,

There are a number of things that could be causing the issue but as we don't have account access here I'm unable to say for certain what the issue might be. It might be something quite simple.

If the Foundation Year is an integral part of the course, then it is treated as a standard course and as such attracts full student support.

Some students, like yourself, may choose to change the course that they attend. If this happens and the new course length (4 years) is the same as before, we will calculate the entitlement based on the duration of the new course and this will not affect their standard entitlement.

Sometimes what happens with integrated Masters courses is that a student starts on the 3 year version before transferring to the 4 year course and that causes an issue with entitlement.

I know you've already called and have concerns about the information given but as this is so specific I'd recommend giving us a call again.

During the call ask if we have you on the 4 year version of your current course and that the previous course shows as having the integrated Foundation Year. The advisor can check and then refer back to the assessors to resolve or query the situation.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Ok I will call again. One other thing, if I’d have gone to Sheffield and started on the 3 year BSc would that (in theory) have worked ok? Because the Liverpool course actually says 3+1 years but I would just be doing the 3 years at Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

So I just had a half hour phone call with an adviser who was actually really helpful. He said that (and he checked with several people) because I progressed from year 0 to year 1 I was entitled to funding, which I got. However, an assessor has looked at CPR evidence for 2016/17 today and said that it cannot be accepted because I received the full £9000 tuition fee loan and the full grant in 2016/17 and this was incorrect and did not give a specific reason as to why?! But it clearly is not, also I do get maximum funding because I am 28 and my income is less than £10,000. I am going to appeal this but I would just like an opinion on what you think is correct here, because it has to be a mistake by the assessor. Below is a list of what I have done and the year studied:

2014/15 - Sociology with a foundation year at Sheffield - year 0 (Full funding)
    2015/16 - Mathematical sciences foundation year at Liverpool - year 0 (Full funding)
    2016/17 - MMath Mathematics at Sheffield - year 1 (Failed but got full funding)
    2017/18 - MMath Mathematics at Sheffield - year 1 (CPR applied for and funding rejected)

So I was told on the phone tonight that I was correct to get funding for 2016/17, do you think that this is correct? And my last question (I promise), is it worth also applying for discretionary funding aswell as appealing? I am just feeling a little lost and stressed because things are about to get very tight with money.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    After reading back through the replies, given what you said I do not think I should have been given funding. But I have no idea really.

I have thought of another option. Is it still possible to change my sfe application details from 2016/17? I’ll just assume it is... if that were the case then I could see about changing to the 5 year course MMath mathematics with foundation and applying for year 1 (or the second year of the course in sfes case) then that would work fine?

I just do not know if I can be registered at university on a different course code than I applied to sfe with even though the course is exactly the same but one has a foundation year. I will look into it today.

Thank you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: October 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.