Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Foundation art 2018 entry. I know where I want to apply and pretty much all of my options ask you to apply direct to the university instead of through UCAS. Is it pointless to still apply through UCAS to other courses? I eventually want to study Fashion Design, which is why I'm doing foundation, but some courses don't require foundation. I could apply to some fashion design courses, or is this a waste of time? Do foundation students usually use UCAS to apply to other art courses as well as foundation or do they abandon it completely and just apply direct to their Unis for foundation?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TallulahPW)
    I'm applying for Foundation art 2018 entry. I know where I want to apply and pretty much all of my options ask you to apply direct to the university instead of through UCAS. Is it pointless to still apply through UCAS to other courses? I eventually want to study Fashion Design, which is why I'm doing foundation, but some courses don't require foundation. I could apply to some fashion design courses, or is this a waste of time? Do foundation students usually use UCAS to apply to other art courses as well as foundation or do they abandon it completely and just apply direct to their Unis for foundation?
    Definitely double up.

And any universities that offer both the Foundation Diploma (FAD) and a BA in Fashion Design - give them a quick ring. Quite often if you apply for the BA course via UCAS they'll be able to set up a second direct application to the FAD for you without you having to faff about doing it manually.

If you get offers from BA courses then you can make a decision about whether you want to go straight onto a degree or whether a FAD would be something you'd benefit on regardless. Remember that FAD courses are classed as FE - that means that you wont pay tuition fees but you also wont receive a student loan to cover your living costs. Sometimes there's bursary support available but there's a reason most people take a FAD at their local FE college and that's because they can't afford to live away from home.

If you do a FAD then you'll be reapplying through UCAS again so it's good experience to have gone through that process once already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Definitely double up.

And any universities that offer both the Foundation Diploma (FAD) and a BA in Fashion Design - give them a quick ring. Quite often if you apply for the BA course via UCAS they'll be able to set up a second direct application to the FAD for you without you having to faff about doing it manually.

If you get offers from BA courses then you can make a decision about whether you want to go straight onto a degree or whether a FAD would be something you'd benefit on regardless. Remember that FAD courses are classed as FE - that means that you wont pay tuition fees but you also wont receive a student loan to cover your living costs. Sometimes there's bursary support available but there's a reason most people take a FAD at their local FE college and that's because they can't afford to live away from home.

If you do a FAD then you'll be reapplying through UCAS again so it's good experience to have gone through that process once already.
    Thankyou so much for all your advice, it really helped!! 😊😊😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.