Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go to a more prestigious university? Watch

I graduated this year and excelled at almost all of my classes (except for PE, I never understood nor supported this class. I do not think you can or should grade kids based on if they can run 100m within 20 seconds or not, not regarding their physical state etc.), which is said to be rather difficult in my country (I read that only 0.3-2% manage to achieve the highest possible grade, which I achieved). I do not want to brag, to me, this is a serious issue.
    My whole life I was very insecure and never really believed in myself, however, I still always wanted to be better than everybody else. I did manage to achieve that but it never gave me the satisfaction I hoped it would give me.
    And here I am now, I received my leaving certificate and am currently in the process of applying to universities. The universities I chose as of now are not the most prestigious ones. As I was talking to a few people in the admissions team from various universities, I realized that I'm far above their entry requirements and it made think about if I may be missing a huge opportunity.
    On the one hand, I'm so scared that I won't make it in university and fail all of my courses (I have this picture in my mind where I'm sitting in front if my books not being able to understand a single thing. It scares me so much), on the other hand I'm not sure if I should try believing in myself and try to get into a better university. But I'm also afraid that the course will be more difficult at a "better" university and that that will put too much pressure on me.
    What do you guys think? What would you do if you were in my place?

ReputationRep:
    Look at the courses in detail and pick ones that interest you. If there is a course at a prestigious university but it doesn't suit you, it doesn't matter if a university has high prestige or not. I would also recommend going to open days, taking a tour of the campus and speaking to current lecturers and students as this can give you a good indicator of whether you would like it there or not.

Don't just pick solely on prestige, pick what is best for you.

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Look at the courses in detail and pick ones that interest you. If there is a course at a prestigious university but it doesn't suit you, it doesn't matter if a university has high prestige or not. I would also recommend going to open days, taking a tour of the campus and speaking to current lecturers and students as this can give you a good indicator of whether you would like it there or not.

Don't just pick solely on prestige, pick what is best for you.
    Unfortunately, I can't go to open days since I'm not currently living in the UK and that'd be way too expensive. I looked at the courses and they seem fairly similar to me, some just contain more mathematics than others do. But I'm really glad that prestige isn't everything and I suppose you're right, thank you very much!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.