Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IS it cruel to urn daddylonglegs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know said that she burned daddlylonglegs for fun this summer - on first thoughts this sounds so cruel, but do the daddlylonglegs have pain receptors complex enough to feel it? Would they die in agony or would yout be relatively passive?

ReputationRep:
    The title should say burn!

ReputationRep:
    Pain receptors aside, this shows a sadistic and sociopathic side to your friend.

I'm not against killing spiders when you find them indoors, but just squish 'em with something!

ReputationRep:
    why would anyone in their right mind burn spiders for fun? bet she turns into a sociopath mass murderer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    Someone I know said that she burned daddlylonglegs for fun this summer - on first thoughts this sounds so cruel, but do the daddlylonglegs have pain receptors complex enough to feel it? Would they die in agony or would yout be relatively passive?
    What a ***** I hope someone burns her.

ReputationRep:
    No one really knows. Invertebrates probably have something akin to pain, whether this is the same as pain in tetrapods/mammals, no one knows for sure. Since daddy longlegs are arthropods, they probably have a more advanced 'pain' system than other invertebrates.

I've heard it suggested that animals with less advanced/less highly developed brains may actually feel pain more strongly as their responses are based only on the pain impulse and not logic or thinking. E.g. an animal with a less developed brain will not be able to use logic to work out that if this hot thing hurt then another one will hurt as well and should be avoided so an even stronger pain sensation is needed to make them learn.

So it's possible that burning a daddy longlegs may be more cruel than burning a human. I'm sceptical about this, but it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    Well an urn is where you put someone's ashes, so I suppose in a way the thread title is relevant.

ReputationRep:
    it is wrong & disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    meh i used to throw salt on slugs and worms and then laugh as I watched them struggle :lol: fun times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    I think it'd die (almost) instantly. Considering daddylonglegs' rip their own legs off to run from predators, then I'm sure being burnt wouldn't be too bad, but yea, squishing would be more humane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    I think it'd die (almost) instantly. Considering daddylonglegs' rip their own legs off to run from predators, then I'm sure being burnt wouldn't be too bad, but yea, squishing would be more humane.
    Not strictly true. They lose their legs if a predator grabs them to allow them to escape. They don't pull their own legs off and they, of course, move more slowly after losing a leg as they effectively have to relearn to walk.

Also, this is true for what Americans call daddy longlegs (harvestmen/Opiliones) but I'm not sure if this also happens in British daddy longlegs (cellar spiders/Pholcidae).

ReputationRep:
    urnurnurnurnurnurnurnurnurnurnur n

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.