Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've been filling in the student finance and on the parent part I said we were estranged which we are. They now want that proof via a social worker etc. I don't need a social worker as im 24so how can I get through that part of the application?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxamygeexx)
    Hi

I've been filling in the student finance and on the parent part I said we were estranged which we are. They now want that proof via a social worker etc. I don't need a social worker as im 24so how can I get through that part of the application?
    Hi xxamygeexx,

To show you are estranged we require some form of evidence/information. The most common source is a social worker and this is why it's referred to during the application process.

We can also accept evidence/information from an Independent person with good standing in the community, such as a doctor, teacher, social worker, University finance/support advisor etc.

Although we need at least one supporting piece of evidence, we do recommend that you provide as much information as is possible to help build a picture of your family estrangement and/or independent life.

If you can provide a signed and dated letter from an Independent person confirming the following:

- Their relationship to you and the length of time they have known you

- The reasons for the estrangement from both parents and when this occurred

- Current contact levels with both parents and if a reconciliation is likely.

The content of the letter must satisfy us that you are irreconcilably estranged from your biological or adoptive parents.

You may also send us additional evidence from family members or friends, but these as a sole piece of evidence will not be sufficient and will only be used to support the statement from an Independent person.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi xxamygeexx,

To show you are estranged we require some form of evidence/information. The most common source is a social worker and this is why it's referred to during the application process.

We can also accept evidence/information from an Independent person with good standing in the community, such as a doctor, teacher, social worker, University finance/support advisor etc.

Although we need at least one supporting piece of evidence, we do recommend that you provide as much information as is possible to help build a picture of your family estrangement and/or independent life.

If you can provide a signed and dated letter from an Independent person confirming the following:

- Their relationship to you and the length of time they have known you

- The reasons for the estrangement from both parents and when this occurred

- Current contact levels with both parents and if a reconciliation is likely.

The content of the letter must satisfy us that you are irreconcilably estranged from your biological or adoptive parents.

You may also send us additional evidence from family members or friends, but these as a sole piece of evidence will not be sufficient and will only be used to support the statement from an Independent person.

Regards,

Stuart
    I've never had a social worker or anyone involed as i wasnt a child or under 16 to 18 when we stopped seeing and talking I was over 18 or does the following still apply
    Thank you Amy
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxamygeexx)
    I've never had a social worker or anyone involed as i wasnt a child or under 16 to 18 when we stopped seeing and talking I was over 18 or does the following still apply
    Thank you Amy
    Hi Amy,

Yes, you would still need to get evidence/information to show that you were estranged.

The Stand Alone Charity have produced a guide for students that may be of some help.

Regards,

Stuart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.