The Student Room Group

Failed Msc Dissertation: What Next?

Hi everyone!

New to this chat and hope everyone is well. I just received the marks for my dissertation and they were not great at all. I am a bit worried at this point about how much worse off I will be when it comes to my Masters. I did reasonably well in all my modules, gaining a 2:1, but I think that with these dissertation marks I will drop down to a 2:2, however, I am not 100% sure of how the uni will grade the dissertation compared to the modules (I asked a classmate and she said that the dissertation would be classified as two module grades). I have read a couple of threads on here and was wondering if I should appeal, considering that I believe the grade is unfair and not reflective of how well I know the subject compared to how well I did in the modules. There was also the case that the university decided to fire half of the professors on the course midway through the summer so many of us had to be allocated new mentors halfway through writing our dissertation, with many of us getting professors that did not have the same level of expertise in the subject we were writing on compared to our previous mentors. Thank you everyone for your advice!
If you failed the dissertation you will get a diploma and not a masters
Read your academic regulations and/or course handbook which will explain the marking structure and let you work out your overall result. Read the complaints process to see if you have a genuine (objective) complaint rather than a sense that it's unfair.

If you got a new supervisor "halfway through" that would still have been a couple of months - did you raise any concerns at the time? Perhaps report them to a class rep? I think you might struggle to get the result you think you deserve, but the good news is that many employers won't care about the overall result.

FWIW MSc results are often Distinction/Merit/Pass, I don't know if any are awarded 1st/2:1/2:2/3rd etc. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending