Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started sixth form in September and enjoyed it for quite awhile everything was ok such as lessons and the school itself but I struggle to make friends so it’s often difficult not having a social life there because It makes me not want to go to school, Also the subjects I’m doing a very fun but I’m probably not going to go down any particular career path with them in university so I feel like it’s a waste of time even though I would do well in them, also the college is quite far from my house so that also becomes a problem.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherish12)
    I started sixth form in September and enjoyed it for quite awhile everything was ok such as lessons and the school itself but I struggle to make friends so it’s often difficult not having a social life there because It makes me not want to go to school, Also the subjects I’m doing a very fun but I’m probably not going to go down any particular career path with them in university so I feel like it’s a waste of time even though I would do well in them, also the college is quite far from my house so that also becomes a problem.
    So are you considering moving sixth forms or dropping out completely? Because legally you need to be in employment education or training until 18.

What's your career plan out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherish12)
    Aha I understand your situation and know how it feels loool, I feel quite emotional not gunna lie because that was me during year 12, I'm in year 13 now. I left boarding school after eight years and went from an environment of being surrounded by people all the time, having a lot of freedom restricted and not allowed to have a phone (not that I had one for year 10 and 11), having a routine and stuff to going back home and I won't lie- I really didn't like it, I couldn't and only have just kind of adjusted to living back home. This isn't like a thing for you to take pity on me or summat, I just want to share my experience of sixth form so far. At the start of year 12 I went to a sixth for north of where I live, about 30 mins in the car but because my mum works in the county next to where I live she couldn't drive me so, I had to take the bus, obviously fine lol but it was just going to take me an hour to get to one place and twenty minutes to get another bus to school, so in total an hour and twenty to get to sixth form. I hated it so much, just the commute, I'd get home tired and for the first week of school I cried everynight because, my parents worked late, I felt very lonely, I have a massive thing about feeling very uncomfortable if I can't be myself and I it had hit me that I had left my old school and that all my best friends live up north and I won't see them so much anymore. I know it all seems quite like petty excuses but I really didn't know how to handle it, I wanted to make friends at my new sixth form and not to sound up myself but I'm v good at making new friends cause I'm confident and usually just make people laugh and whatever and they seem to rate it so yea loool friends. At that sixth form I was studying business, English Lang and maths. I didn't understand what was going on at all and in maths my teacher wasn't really doing anything so I understood fck all. After that week I took a week off school because I wanted to move to a school in Bath. Bearing in mind I only live twenty minutes away from my old school, I used to live up north in York and also Surrey so a bit of a distance hence why I boarded. Moving to school in Bath, mate I changed my subjects so many times. Originally for A level I wanted to go English Literature, Spanish, Maths and History or Psychology or Art. Maths in secondary school was my stronger point as oppose to science and at first I was doing like English Lang, Photography and business. I didn't like it and I don't want to write an even longer account and carry on with this because I hated how I felt in year 12, I was just upset all the time but I have such a lovely group of friends so it's okay and they're all very clever and just so nice etc. I basically failed biology through out the whole of year 12, that's my third subject along with Eng Lit and Psychology because I changed them instead of doing the first three which I said I was originally doing. I lost all motivation and spent so much time sleeping and in bed and whatever motivation I got, I would always lose it. I don't know why I chose biology, I felt like I had to because everyone else was doing at least one STEM subject at my new sixth form so I felt like I had to as well. Stupid idea, whatever subjects you're doing now if you enjoy them, do them. I mean with my mum she is always suggesting what jobs would be on the market if I did this subject and not to bait her but like she also told me not to do Spanish because of the job market and stuff and yeah idk. Idk what the whole point of this message thing is, just to summarize, don't give up now on the subjects that you're doing, you will hopefully find a course which you want to do at uni, I am still struggling with getting into a routine with waking up and doing work after school. Take from this reply what you will and pls message me lol if you're struggling cause I can try give some advice. Idk what's going on in this, think I just started feeling a bit sentimental lol and I didn't even answer your question ffs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.