Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been trying to decide on a dissertation topic and I deffo know that I want to focus on mental health and wellbeing of students, but don't know what to study it in terms of. Was going to compare the wellbeing of first and second year uni students but was told this wasn't a good idea!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickels96)
    I have been trying to decide on a dissertation topic and I deffo know that I want to focus on mental health and wellbeing of students, but don't know what to study it in terms of. Was going to compare the wellbeing of first and second year uni students but was told this wasn't a good idea!
    Why wasn't this a good idea? Did they elaborate on any reason why they thought it wasn't or how you could improve? I would say depending on your plan it would be reasonable personally, I'm no expert on it though! Talk to your tutor and have a look around- you could look at whether guys in general had better mental health than girls for example, or people on different courses or did mental health correlate at all with average grades. But yeah, you really need to know what was apparently wrong with your first idea before you can improve it!

ReputationRep:
    study it in terms of. Was going to compare the wellbeing of first and second year uni students but was told this wasn't a good idea!
    ...That sounds like a really good idea :/ Find out why this was shot down? did they just say it wasn't a good idea or dd they completely not approve it? As the above poster said, maybe look at other areas of students life and mental health? do students who receive bursaries/extra funds have better mental health at uni than others? What is the link between mental health and course choice (if any)? etc. But your first idea seemed really good, I would personally be interested in that, especially if you could get data from year 1 students and then get data from the same students during their second year

ReputationRep:
    Who said this was not a good idea? Perhaps if it is considered to broad by your academic instructor, then you could narrow it to focus on a specific area, or overlapping area of the health and wellbeing, such as depression or some other specific problem which could then be methodically studied, researched and track between the two levels of students to compare and contrast adjustments, regression, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.