Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can only white people appropriate culture Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolio333)
    Actually their are many lol. Yet even if their were none what are you suggesting? That black people are too illiterate to make educational textbooks on their own history. One i believe they most probably know more about compared to any other race. Wow, racist bigotry much?
    You're both as racist as each other, he's saying books by blacks don't exist, you're saying ignore a book's merits because it was written by a White man, he and others are saying don't appropriate whites, you're saying don't appropriate blacks. Your views are actually identical, you just both happened to of been born into different socially constructed "races" and both have slightly different amounts of melanin in your skin. If you were born white you'd be saying exactly the same things he's saying because psychologically you're exactly the same, you're both petty minded racists.

The sooner society can ignore the bigoted opinions of right-wing racists like yourself and the individual you're quoting, the sooner we can have a colour blind world. Race mixing FTW.

ReputationRep:
    Actually their are many lol. Yet even if their were none what are you suggesting? That black people are too illiterate to make educational textbooks on their own history.
    Judging from your own grammar, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Is it really? For instance, you have respect for Meso-American cultures that practised human sacrifice for reasons of superstitious belief, do you?

"practised"

I meant with regards to modern cultures. You can respect a culture and disagree with their practices tbh.

For instance, i disagree with Christians on their versions of events regarding evolution. But I'm not going to go to a church and set it on fire, nor would I throw a cross depicting Jesus' crusifiction on the floor and stamp on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntrovertPizza)
    "practised"
    If you are going to correct another poster's spelling and grammar it is always a good idea to be correct yourself, so this is an opportunity for you to learn something. In English usage (as opposed to American) 'practise' is a verb; 'practice' is a noun - they are two different words.

(Original post by IntrovertPizza)
    You can respect a culture and disagree with their practices
    You seem to be using 'respect' to mean 'be nice about'. It actually means 'have a good opinion of'. If you respect human sacrifice you automatically approve of them doing it, even if you couldn't bring yourself to do it yourself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You've obviously never seen black people kick off at white people having braids then.

First of all a braid is not a hair type but a African/Black hair STYLE. BLONDE hair is a type of colour and not a form of appropriation (never knew white people claimed the colour blonde..). And if a white women decided to style her hair curly and black person decided to style their hair straight - this isn't cultural appropriation. You do realise that their are white people out their with curly hair and black people out their with STRAIGHT hair So, is their natural hair cultural appropraition? I think not. Only when a typical hairstyle belonging to a certain culture is styled by a racist person this causes commotion as it is cultural appropriation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    You've obviously never seen black people kick off at white people having braids then.
    Oh black people have kicked off at a white people having braids (im black myself, I would know, lol).

Hence why i argued that a white person wearing braids witthout any acknowledgement of the history of this hair style nor any respect for its cultural origins is a form of cultural appropriation. If the white person embraces the cultural origins and respects the history of the hair style, this is not cultural appropriation. But an encouragement and positive view of other cultures, which is not something i disagree with
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So if a white person got braids, would they have to take a class on its origins (which apparently originated from Europe according to someone elses post) in order to avoid "disrespecting" it? How exactly can they disrespect it?
    Just wearing braids though, even if they're aware of the culture, they still get **** for it.

Oh black people have kicked off at a white people having braids (im black myself, I would know, lol).

Hence why i argued that a white person wearing braids witthout any acknowledgement of the history of this hair style nor any respect for its cultural origins is a form of cultural appropriation. If the white person embraces the cultural origins and respects the history of the hair style, this is not cultural appropriation. But an encouragement and positive view of other cultures, which is not something i disagree with
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonsama)
    The oldest known examples of braided hair are European. The same applies to Dreadlocks which originated in Ancient Greece.

Stop appropriating white European culture you disgusting racist bigoted ****.
    coolio333

ReputationRep:
    Hence why i argued that a white person wearing braids witthout any acknowledgement of the history of this hair style
    Why should a white person acknowledge the history of braids when wearing the hairstyle? To be clear, it originates for Europeans in Celtic history - Gauls were famous for their braids - or with Ancient Greeks. Why should black people not be castigated for copying them?

Why should anyone have to acknowledge the origins of what they do now? Do you somehow thank the Anglo-Saxons every time you write in English? Do you proclaim your thanks to Edison with a placard every time you turn on an electric light?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    So if a white person got braids, would they have to take a class on its origins (which apparently originated from Europe according to someone elses post) in order to avoid "disrespecting" it? How exactly can they disrespect it?
    Just wearing braids though, even if they're aware of the culture, they still get **** for it.
    that previous post has no evidence provided to back the absurd claim. They wouldnt have to take a class on its origins, i believe those with a big social media platform ( the kardashians for example) should achknowledge the origins (AFRICAN culture )

ReputationRep:
    Genunienly, this thread was 2 hours age. i have absolutely no energy to continue arguing. Enjoy your days people, whilst i continue mine

ReputationRep:
    i believe those with a big social media platform ( the kardashians for example) should achknowledge the origins (AFRICAN culture )
    Why do you keep claiming that, and ignoring my questions?

The Gauls, a Celtic people, were famous for their braids - the Romans (their enemies) mention the fact in their histories. They also shaped their hair like a horse's mane.

https://www.pinterest.com/arianafeal...raided-hair-~/

http://classroom.synonym.com/ancient...-12083983.html

Of course, the truth is that men and women of all cultures have styled their hair in creative ways for ever and these styles are not associated with any single culture, but you will find that difficult to accept as the bandwagon you are on doesn't have any stops to allow time for thought.

http://www.refinery29.com/44603

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    > lives/studies in UK
    > complains about her culture not being dominant
    don't live in the uk
    don't study here

(Original post by Milky_Way)
      don't live in the uk
      don't study here
      Fair enough, where then do you live that your ancestral culture is oppressed by Whitey?

ReputationRep:
      no anyone can, beyoncé is definitely an example
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      Allow whites to celebrate their ancestry and their culture then you wont have so many misguided people appropriating others clothing and fashions. As long as the failed multicultural experiment continues 'cultural appropriation' is inevitable.

ReputationRep:
      Any race can practice culture appropriation. For me, culture appropriation is using something from a culture without giving credit when due or just claiming it as your own without giving acknowledgement to the "creators". I didn't use to believe in. But let's think of it this way... so let's say you have a marginalized group of people who created a specific style of dance or slang or style that they created of to express themselves in a society that mocked them. So lets say people liked some aspects of the culture and decided to use them. So the people incorporate in their own culture but don't want to acknowledge the "creators" but bash the creators and claimed the culture as their own.

This reminds me of some women using slang created by black gay men from NY but still want to bash gay men. Or people using traditional clothing as a Halloween costume when actual people dress in those clothing for significant events and represent who they are.

I'm not saying I think college campuses cafes should be closed down for serving sushi or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NewWorldHouse)
      Allow whites to celebrate their ancestry and their culture then you wont have so many misguided people appropriating others clothing and fashions. As long as the failed multicultural experiment continues 'cultural appropriation' is inevitable.
      We weren't allowed to support the BNP, other races are allowed here lock stock and barrel, our women sell out and have half black kids and to top it all off we can't even adapt to immigrants around us by trying out some of their stuff. Its pure ethnic masochism.

I know for one thing I definitely dont want to see Tiger Woods making a mockery of ancient Scottish traditions. Go back to the LA ghetto yer ****ing ape.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.