Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I graduated with a 2:1 in Pharmacology in 2015 and got a job pretty much straight away at a local molecular diagnostics company - gaining a lot of experience in clinical and research work and even getting my name on a couple of publications.

This year I decided to leave my job, travel for a bit and then apply for a PhD related to biomarker development in cancer as I have a lot of experience from work. I have had a couple of interviews with some really positive feedback but both positions have went to someone with a masters.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Is a masters held in higher regard than the experience I have from work?

I am now considering doing a masters but have missed the boat for 2017/2018, do any courses start in January to avoid wasting a year? There are still some PhD positions starting in January that I want to apply for but would like to know what I can do as a sort of back-up if I don't get one?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markcorrigan1)
    Hi,

I graduated with a 2:1 in Pharmacology in 2015 and got a job pretty much straight away at a local molecular diagnostics company - gaining a lot of experience in clinical and research work and even getting my name on a couple of publications.

This year I decided to leave my job, travel for a bit and then apply for a PhD related to biomarker development in cancer as I have a lot of experience from work. I have had a couple of interviews with some really positive feedback but both positions have went to someone with a masters.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Is a masters held in higher regard than the experience I have from work?

I am now considering doing a masters but have missed the boat for 2017/2018, do any courses start in January to avoid wasting a year? There are still some PhD positions starting in January that I want to apply for but would like to know what I can do as a sort of back-up if I don't get one?
    Hi markcorrigan1

Love the username by the way.

Whilst a lot of PhD entrants typically have a Masters level qualification or equivalent, these aren't strictly necessary for PhD study. A lot of projects have a minimum entry requirement of a 2:1 at Undergraduate level so you shouldn't worry.

I'd start off by finding a project that really interests you and checking the entry requirements as they can differ but most are on a pretty similar level. After you've found one, just demonstrate the experience you've gained from your previous role and what you have learned from this in your application, and how it would make you stand out if you were to be successful with the research position.

I understand you may want a back-up of a Masters, but I would only go for this if the PhD positions you wanted explicitly asked for a Masters, otherwise it's a bit unnecessary. It may even be worth applying for both PhD positions and Masters positions and seeing how successful you are with them?

I hope this has helped, if you've got any more concerns don't hesitate to let me know!

Thanks

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
    Connect with NTU
    Keep up with our daily stories on Facebook.
    Follow our Twitter for student news.
    Explore our campuses with Instagram.
    See what life at NTU is like on our Youtube.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markcorrigan1)
    Hi,

Hi,

There are certainly MSc courses that have a January start date. Just get on google and you will find courses that have a January start date. However, do not give up on the chase to get onto a PhD straightaway. What I have noticed, however, is that people who do a PhD after a bachelors, often get a 1st in their BSc. With a 1st Class you stand a decent chance of going for a PhD straightaway. You can also do so with a 2.1 but you have to write a very strong research proposal. With your proposal and your experience it is indeed possible to get into a PhD straightaway.

Best,
    Cranfield TSR Rep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.