Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the most vaguest questions but can anyone give me some advice regarding taking English, creative writing etc at university? Is it interesting etc?.
    General kind of advice I’m looking for, preferably Any opinions of the course?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    English Literature, English Language, and Creative Writing are entirely different university courses, with only a small amount of overlap between the latter two, and very little with the former.

English Literature is solely focused on analysing literary texts in an academic form. If you don't like writing long essays picking apart miute details from a text you've read backwards and forwards, you may dislike it. Creative writing will be focused on...writing, creatively. You'll be expected to be producing content yourself, usually in response to specific briefs, with some self directed work.

English Language is uncommon (Linguistics, general or applied, tends to be slightly more common, but s overall not that common) and is usually something of a mix of communications, writing, and linguistics. If you don't want to learn more about gerunds than you could possibly need to know you should probably avoid it.

There are also related but more niche courses for the above; most "- studies" courses will focus on analysis of media of the relevant area, including Viking/Anglo-Saxon and Celtic Studies for example. Media/Film Studies will of course adopt a broader approach in terms of region but more restricted to those media forms. The various Classics related courses also fall into the above "studies" theme although some will develop Classical Language skills in addition to the academic analysis of texts etc.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gmwood18)
    This is one of the most vaguest questions but can anyone give me some advice regarding taking English, creative writing etc at university? Is it interesting etc?.
    General kind of advice I’m looking for, preferably Any opinions of the course?
    Hi,

As artful_lounger said above, there are a few different types of English course. I study English language so I can only really comment on that, but there is also English literature, creative writing and 'English' (this is mostly literature with a couple of modules from English language, typically grammar based ones, and I believe one for creative writing) courses at my uni (Sheffield Hallam).

I would have to disagree slightly with what they said about English language though - each course at each university will have different modules so in my experience I haven't done any hugely in-depth studies of grammar, having only two grammar-based modules in my whole time here (I'm in my final year now). Make sure you look at course structure when looking at prospectuses.

The course I do leans towards sociolinguistics - I've studied language in social context (including separate modules for language and gender and multicultural English); the history of English language and its growth around the world; communication and its origins; Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and lots more. On the other hand, there will be lots of courses which lean towards the linguistic, grammatical study of English language itself. Whatever you're interested in you'll be able to find it in a course.

I hope this helps,

Ellie

ReputationRep:
    I looked at English language and decided it wasn’t for me, I’ve decided on creative writing at Sheffield Hallam hopefully as the modules are more appealing to me - thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.