Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Demotivation and how I am battling it Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was fairly demotivated in my two years of A Level studies. When I had completed my exams and got my results I was very disheartened. At first I had plans to switch subjects as I wanted to pursue a scientific career but the weeks after results day taught me that I mustn't give up with my A Levels and retakes are paramount. I wasn't a top top student but I wasn't too far off. I did Humanities subjects and could not read any of my texts, paying more attention to other subjects and not thinking about exam questions enough.

I faced societal pressure to become something I wouldn't want to ever become and chase a dream that was not mine. I realise my final grades are not reflective of me, my teachers even echoed this and said that they all felt like they knew I was battling something.

I was and still am battling depression but thankfully due to my motivation for wanting to do better and succeed, I have improved since the day I found out I did terribly and know that my dreams will come true, you just have to work hard for them.

Demotivation and depression are common in students, particularly if you reach the last year of A Levels and feel like you just want to give up because everything is stressful. A lot of students feel like they just can't cope and fall into a routine where they do not do anything.

It's important to go see someone if you are depressed as mental health can affect your well being and performance and will drain the life out of you. Being a student is stress enduring and you feel like you have had enough but please, don't feel like you are ever alone.

Think about your goals, think about how you will get there and find a route to it. Believing in yourself is key, even when nobody else does. Think about what you want to do, not what others expect you to. I guess this is easier said then done but whatever works for you, keep going at it.

Life is hard but if we all work to get to our dreams, we will make it happen.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.