Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I am hoping to register for the A-level exams in several subjects, including chemistry physics maths biology etc. I am doing so in hopes for using these exams to gain entry into university (more specifically, euro 6year med school). I am told these are acceptable alternatives for low school grades in some areas. I currently live in the UK but have withdrawn from university. I have never taken GSCEs. Is it possible to:
    1 take A-level exams without GSCEs?
    2 take A-levels without completing a university program course (I've heard some require coursework)
    3 use these A-levels to qualify for european medical university, or regular university credits regardless?
    Peace.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by superman11)
    Hello all,
    I am hoping to register for the A-level exams in several subjects, including chemistry physics maths biology etc. I am doing so in hopes for using these exams to gain entry into university (more specifically, euro 6year med school). I am told these are acceptable alternatives for low school grades in some areas. I currently live in the UK but have withdrawn from university. I have never taken GSCEs. Is it possible to:
    1 take A-level exams without GSCEs?
    2 take A-levels without completing a university program course (I've heard some require coursework)
    3 use these A-levels to qualify for european medical university, or regular university credits regardless?
    Peace.
    How did you get into uni without GCSE? Was it in the UK and how much did you do?

1. If you are going to be a private candidate then yes you can do A level without GCSE.

2. Doesnt make sense. Do you mean do an A level without the practical assessment? Yes, but the unis will make clear if they require you to do the assessment part. Its still possible as a private candidate, but test centres are difficult to find.

3. They will just be normal A levels like everyone elses, so if you get the right grades you can apply for medical school or any other degree. Your lack of GCSE is likely to cause you problems for UK medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How did you get into uni without GCSE? Was it in the UK and how much did you do?

1. If you are going to be a private candidate then yes you can do A level without GCSE.

2. Doesnt make sense. Do you mean do an A level without the practical assessment? Yes, but the unis will make clear if they require you to do the assessment part. Its still possible as a private candidate, but test centres are difficult to find.

3. They will just be normal A levels like everyone elses, so if you get the right grades you can apply for medical school or any other degree. Your lack of GCSE is likely to cause you problems for UK medical school.
    I meant to take the A-levels without being enrolled in a university. If coursework is required, I would be able to complete it and turn it in for credit? And, by the third question, I am asking if A-levels are the same as college level credits, or AP-level credits. Also, I am wondering if A-levels are acceptable for application to med school, even though they technically ask for GCSEs.

I myself have completed high school in the United States, but my grades trailed off towards the end. I have exceptional test scores, but the workload was a lot for me at that time of my life. I actually scored ~2000 SAT and was honor roll until junior year (save 1 bad grade freshman year), but finished in the first percentile of grades among college level applicants. 2 or 3 teachers had even written their own curriculums and not used the standard books, so I honestly didn't see a need to put much extra effort into their classes (one even failed to complete the course). I just hope redo-ing my poor performing subjects will help me get into medical school in EU without a whole 4 year bachelors degree & much debt.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by superman11)
    I meant to take the A-levels without being enrolled in a university. If coursework is required, I would be able to complete it and turn it in for credit? And, by the third question, I am asking if A-levels are the same as college level credits, or AP-level credits. Also, I am wondering if A-levels are acceptable for application to med school, even though they technically ask for GCSEs.

I myself have completed high school in the United States, but my grades trailed off towards the end. I have exceptional test scores, but the workload was a lot for me at that time of my life. I actually scored ~2000 SAT and was honor roll until junior year (save 1 bad grade freshman year), but finished in the first percentile of grades among college level applicants. 2 or 3 teachers had even written their own curriculums and not used the standard books, so I honestly didn't see a need to put much extra effort into their classes (one even failed to complete the course). I just hope redo-ing my poor performing subjects will help me get into medical school in EU without a whole 4 year bachelors degree & much debt.
    Your responses are confusing, but I think I see where you are coming from. t would have been useful if you could have stated what your position was from the beginning because it appears you misunderstand the system.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/start/

For UK students they require.

GCSE- the exams we sit at roughly age 16- year 11.
    Always Maths and English, but for UK Med School they require a lot more high grades. You are going to have to check whether they will look past these for you.
    Some UK med schools place an emphasis on these and others do not. You will have to heck whether what you have is sufficient. For UK students they would be looking for 5-10 with a reasonable proportion at top grades..

The main qualification GCE A Level. 2 years and taken when 17 or 18- years 12 and 13. The important thing you need to realise is that they do not like resits and virtually all med schools require you to pass within the 2 years you normally take to sit them or at first attempt.

Medicine in the UK is a first degree. If you have the A level grades then you can go straight to med school.

A levels are also internationally recognised.

So back to your questions (although im not convinced you are asking the right ones.

1. Can you study A levels without GCSEs? Yes.
    You will still probably need GCSE or equivalent for Med school in the UK, but check with the Med school. UK students typically have them.

2.Some A levels including STEM subjects i.e sciences and maths may have a practical assessed component. It is important you check if that is required by med schools and if so you will need to find an exam centre who will cover this. This wont be a problem if you are attending a college, but will be if you are self teaching.

3. If you get A levels then they will be the key to get into Med School and along with GCSE, UKcat test, reference, application experience and an interview is all you need to get into UK Med School.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Your responses are confusing, but I think I see where you are coming from. t would have been useful if you could have stated what your position was from the beginning because it appears you misunderstand the system.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/start/

For UK students they require.

GCSE- the exams we sit at roughly age 16- year 11.
    Always Maths and English, but for UK Med School they require a lot more high grades. You are going to have to check whether they will look past these for you.
    Some UK med schools place an emphasis on these and others do not. You will have to heck whether what you have is sufficient. For UK students they would be looking for 5-10 with a reasonable proportion at top grades..

The main qualification GCE A Level. 2 years and taken when 17 or 18- years 12 and 13. The important thing you need to realise is that they do not like resits and virtually all med schools require you to pass within the 2 years you normally take to sit them or at first attempt.

Medicine in the UK is a first degree. If you have the A level grades then you can go straight to med school.

A levels are also internationally recognised.

So back to your questions (although im not convinced you are asking the right ones.

1. Can you study A levels without GCSEs? Yes.
    You will still probably need GCSE or equivalent for Med school in the UK, but check with the Med school. UK students typically have them.

2.Some A levels including STEM subjects i.e sciences and maths may have a practical assessed component. It is important you check if that is required by med schools and if so you will need to find an exam centre who will cover this. This wont be a problem if you are attending a college, but will be if you are self teaching.

3. If you get A levels then they will be the key to get into Med School and along with GCSE, UKcat test, reference, application experience and an interview is all you need to get into UK Med School.
    I'd opt to self study, and forgo the two year requirement for study. I'd also sit for the required/corresponding GCSEs. I'm hoping this will be enough for entry. Schooling in the UK would be great, but I understand colleges may hold my grades against me somehow. I'll also volunteer throughout the year at hospital for work credit. Thank you also for the link.

Thanks. Peace.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.