The Student Room Group

Oct 18th: Are you unlucky in love?

Are you unlucky in love?

Are you unlucky in love? Radio 1’s Surgery is all about matters of the heart this week! Self-professed Love guru Marcel Somerville from Love Island will be joining Katie and Dr Radha, to answer all of your love woes.

Have you recently been ‘mugged off’? Are you trying to figure out whether your type on paper is your type in real life? Maybe you’ve recently found the love of your life and would like to share your success story?

If you’ve got a question, or a story to tell, please share it below and Katie, Dr Radha and ‘Dr Marcel’ will try to help you on this week’s show.

Please note you can post anonymously.
Reply 1
I thought I was but recently got into a relationship (my first) at 23 and just feel happy.

I think it's even better when you don't expect it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi there,

This is probably a question that you get asked a lot. I am 21 and I have never had a girlfriend. I don't think I have really been ready for a relationship until the last few months. However, I am terrified on how to go about it. I do have different hobbies and I am an extrovert.
Since I have very little experience in regard of dating, I just don't know what I am meant to do?

Thanks
Original post by uws
i thought i was but recently got into a relationship (my first) and just feel happy.

I think it's even better when you don't expect it.

aw congrats
Original post by BBC Radio 1
Are you unlucky in love?

Are you unlucky in love? Radio 1’s Surgery is all about matters of the heart this week! Self-professed Love guru Marcel Somerville from Love Island will be joining Katie and Dr Radha, to answer all of your love woes.

Have you recently been ‘mugged off’? Are you trying to figure out whether your type on paper is your type in real life? Maybe you’ve recently found the love of your life and would like to share your success story?

If you’ve got a question, or a story to tell, please share it below and Katie, Dr Radha and ‘Dr Marcel’ will try to help you on this week’s show.

Got no success stories to share. Sorry.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

This is probably a question that you get asked a lot. I am 21 and I have never had a girlfriend. I don't think I have really been ready for a relationship until the last few months. However, I am terrified on how to go about it. I do have different hobbies and I am an extrovert.
Since I have very little experience in regard of dating, I just don't know what I am meant to do?

Thanks

Ask a girl you like out on a date, suggest going out for food or drinks and if she says yes, you have a date.

The way I see it, a first date is just like meeting someone for the first time. Your aim is to get to know them more than before the date. Make jokes, share stories and ask her questions. That's pretty much all there is to it. Then if you like her after the date, follow up with a second date. Rinse and repeat.
I had a crush on this boy and he found out and then now he is giving me so much attention. There are all these clues around me and Idek if he likes me i think he does a bit but idk how can i find out ?? I don't want to talk to him and I HAVE never spoken to him btw what can i do?
Reply 7
So, I am a girl that just started year 12 and I’m confused because all of my friends have boyfriends now and I don’t... Nond of them had to approach them because either they were introduced by me to them or they just had an opportunity to talk to (were in the same project group) but I never had these opportunities... I tried to approach this boy that I used to like on instagram and then real life but that didn’t work because I didn’t know whether they were interested or just being nice. I know that you don’t need ‘love’ in order to be happy, I have hobbies and amazing friends already but I’m just wondering why I don’t fit in with all these relationships stuff ehh...
I met my boyfriend on facebook and we had a long-distance relationship for about 1.5 years before he moved in with me (we visited each other every few months, he lived in another country). He is now living with me and my family, however, they do not get along unfortunately, but that's just because my boyfriend is unwilling to make a step in their direction and to just talk to them first or something because "they dislike him anyway". He is also unwilling to find a job and would only do very few certain jobs, and he doesn't even speak the language, mind you. I love him very much but it has just become such a burden lately. We will be going to university in another country next year and I'm working my 42.5h a week for 500 bucks a month just to save up some money which we will need next year and all I get from him is "I'll just work when we go to uni, no need to save up money now". I don't really get it. I don't know if I'm just too scared or if he is just using me. He promised me to be better next year when we move out and to help me out more but honestly, at this point, I do not know if I should believe him. I don't really know what to do
Reply 9
I'm lucky that I have been with my now husband for nearly 9 years now and I love him more than anything but people often think that a relationship solves every problem in life. I often get told "how can you be in therapy, you've got a partne?!r", "what do you have to moan about, least you're not single!". You wouldn't say to someone with a physical problem "how can you have cancer, you have a partner?!" yet with MH problems, people seem to think the cure for any MH illness, is getting a partner. The right kind of relationship can help you flourish and when you find someone you absolutely click with, it is the best thing on the planet but love isn't enough to cure you, sadly.

Before him, I was never chatted up, asked out or shown any attention on that front. I was always last chosen at school dances or accused of being a lesbian, as well. Deep down I am a hopeless romantic and believe there's someone out there for everyone.
(edited 6 years ago)
I recently met someone I really like and in my first relationship now at the age of 20. I'm glad that I waited to meet the right person.
Yeah I’m unlucky.
Original post by Rum Ham
I'm lucky that I have been with my now husband for nearly 9 years now and I love him more than anything but people often think that a relationship solves every problem in life. I often get told "how can you be in therapy, you've got a partne?!r", "what do you have to moan about, least you're not single!". You wouldn't say to someone with a physical problem "how can you have cancer, you have a partner?!" yet with MH problems, people seem to think the cure for any MH illness, is getting a partner. The right kind of relationship can help you flourish and when you find someone you absolutely click with, it is the best thing on the planet but love isn't enough to cure you, sadly.

Before him, I was never chatted up, asked out or shown any attention on that front. I was always last chosen at school dances or accused of being a lesbian, as well. Deep down I am a hopeless romantic and believe there's someone out there for everyone.

Unfortunately, my ex thought he could fix his MH problems by getting with me, and not seeing a therapist. He then came out with some harsh accusations about me causing his MH to go back to **** :sigh:
I've never felt love for anyone
Reply 14
aaaw cute love story...I met one of my good friends on FB too....but he told me He had a girlfriend...then broke up with her....I may have a chance but I think we are better to stay as good friends...literally everytime I start "liking" someone i.e even like just a crush....
they end up getting a Gf or we end up apart becuase of where we go to school/college etc...I feel like usually there is sometimes something special between a guy and I but sooner or later they end up having a Gf...even if they have Never had one before or liked to be single/independent- as Soon as I like them- they get lucky...what even is this?..lol #unluckyInLove :frown: And for you- I'll say there will most likely always be someone who is not in favour of your relationship, things will take time to get better and give him a chance to prove he can do it, besides working whilst studying at Uni is not the most easiest of things to do...let him figure things out- what you can do is be there to help him/guide him in the right direction...good luck...:wink:
Original post by Anonymous
I met my boyfriend on facebook and we had a long-distance relationship for about 1.5 years before he moved in with me (we visited each other every few months, he lived in another country). He is now living with me and my family, however, they do not get along unfortunately, but that's just because my boyfriend is unwilling to make a step in their direction and to just talk to them first or something because "they dislike him anyway". He is also unwilling to find a job and would only do very few certain jobs, and he doesn't even speak the language, mind you. I love him very much but it has just become such a burden lately. We will be going to university in another country next year and I'm working my 42.5h a week for 500 bucks a month just to save up some money which we will need next year and all I get from him is "I'll just work when we go to uni, no need to save up money now". I don't really get it. I don't know if I'm just too scared or if he is just using me. He promised me to be better next year when we move out and to help me out more but honestly, at this point, I do not know if I should believe him. I don't really know what to do
Was unlucky fell in love twice, yes. Both it did not come to a happy end. It did not even come to a serious relationship. I was just affectionate. Of course I tried to get a date with both, but it always ended up in failure.
I have given up at the age of 22. I have been cheated on twice and was in an abusive relationship. My last relationship, he hasn't left me alone for about 10 months and borderline ready to call the police. Almost every man I've gotten close to, became friends with etc have been inappropriate with me.
Part of me would like a relationship but I am too broken now so I am happy to remain single and in peace.

P.S I love Marcel though.

Original post by BBC Radio 1
Are you unlucky in love?

(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest