Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've heard rumours that GCSE exams for Automn/winter are being scrapped, is this true?
    I really want to sit GCSE Spanish in October 2018 (for personal reasons I can't do it in summer), will this be possible?
    Does it have to be a resit? Can you sit an exam first time in winter?
    Maybe it was just rumours, just checking! 😊😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by December126)
    I've heard rumours that GCSE exams for Automn/winter are being scrapped, is this true?
    I really want to sit GCSE Spanish in October 2018 (for personal reasons I can't do it in summer), will this be possible?
    No, you can't sit exams in the winter anymore. The only exception to this is GCSE English language and maths resits. So you'll have to wait until June 2019, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    as per above, you will have to wait until the summer. In case you're not aware, the specification will have (well, it already has been) changed to 9-1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecila21)
    No, you can't sit exams in the winter anymore. The only exception to this is GCSE English language and maths resits. So you'll have to wait until June 2019, unfortunately.
    Aw ok :/ that's unfortunate.
    I might just do June 2018 afterall then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    as per above, you will have to wait until the summer. In case you're not aware, the specification will have (well, it already has been) changed to 9-1.
    I think I'll just do it in June 2018 then, it's just I'm in college right now and I thought it'd be good if I could finish this course in June and then dedicate the next 5 months to GCSE Spanish and sit the exam in November.
    I'm from Scotland so I don't know much about it but I have heard about it on the news.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll just do it in June 2018 then, it's just I'm in college right now and I thought it'd be good if I could finish this course in June and then dedicate the next 5 months to GCSE Spanish and sit the exam in November.
    I'm from Scotland so I don't know much about it but I have heard about it on the news.
    The only GCSEs available during the Winter in England have been Maths and English for some time. (There's a a slight change this Winter offering a last chance to res-it some GCSE Sciences). However, it's not the same in Wales and IGCSEs are different again so it depends what and where you're studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The only GCSEs available during the Winter in England have been Maths and English for some time. (There's a a slight change this Winter offering a last chance to res-it some GCSE Sciences). However, it's not the same in Wales and IGCSEs are different again so it depends what and where you're studying.
    Ohh ok I didn't realise that, it's just I looked at some exam timetables and they had several subjects you could sit the exam for in winter but maybe those were Welsh or something.
    Do you think you could sit an IGCSE in winter then? I might just have to sit the exam in June 2018 then, it's just I'm currently doing 4 Highers(A Levels) and I was just worried it would be too much for me and I wouldn't get good grades if I did too many subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh ok I didn't realise that, it's just I looked at some exam timetables and they had several subjects you could sit the exam for in winter but maybe those were Welsh or something.
    Do you think you could sit an IGCSE in winter then? I might just have to sit the exam in June 2018 then, it's just I'm currently doing 4 Highers(A Levels) and I was just worried it would be too much for me and I wouldn't get good grades if I did too many subjects.
    Talk to the exam centre where you're planning to sit the exams as it will depend on what they are prepared to offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Talk to the exam centre where you're planning to sit the exams as it will depend on what they are prepared to offer.
    Okay I'll email them, but there's only about 2 in Scotland that offer GCSEs and Levels so I feel like they probably won't be very flexible about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.