Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to university for next year, but I don't know if a law degree or an international relations/development degree would be better suited to me. I want to go into a career that will help me change inequalities in the world and help people on a practical level. Is it generally necessary to have a masters in IR/ID to gain a career in it? If this is the case, would it be wise to do a law degree and then a masters/phd in ID/IR?Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Do you intend to become a practicing solicitor or barrister?

If not, there's not much benefit to a law degree you can't get from another degree. If so, then doing a QLD is not an absolute requirement but is probably the easiest/quickest path into law for most.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know what I want to be! I'm thinking of becoming a lawyer but I really want to do what helps people the most.

ReputationRep:
    im in the same boat. i've come to the conclusion that i want to be a human rights lawyer. i'm going to do international relations and anthropology. or international development and relations. i want to practice human rights law in south africa if that helps ???

ReputationRep:
    im in the same boat. i've come to the conclusion that i want to be a human rights lawyer. i'm going to do international relations and anthropology. or international development and relations. i want to practice human rights law in south africa if that helps ???

ReputationRep:
    May I suggest, you apply for the LLB, take modules/classes that focus on international law and relations, with something in mind...when you graduate, you will be going on to at least your LLM in law, (and perhaps beyond to Phd if that suits you) OR, you will do a M.A. in International Relations and Development...make that commitment to know right now, that you'll have to be going to that postgraduate level, with the LLB giving you the most potential wiggle room to really find out where you want to be and what you want to do, that way, you've covered both bases, and have both doors open to you at the end of the LLB, in terms of further study and career development.

(Original post by Laurettag)
    I really don't know what I want to be! I'm thinking of becoming a lawyer but I really want to do what helps people the most.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.