Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do shy, inexperienced guys like me struggle to get girlfriends? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I think a lot of girls like guys to be forward, show their interest, hence they'll go for the guys that are confident enough to do so. From what I've seen, very few girls have the confidence to make the first move, which is a shame really. So if you're quiet, it doesn't always mean someone isn't interested in you, they could just be waiting for you to make the first move which you won't do if you're too shy. You can't expect girls to just fall for you if you don't do anything.
    Exactly as this person said. If you're lacking in confidence, as a lot of girls do, having a guy approach you and show a clear interest can make you feel a bit more special. If a guy is shy and quiet, girls can't tell if he likes them or not.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierobinson94)
    You’re trying to tell me that relationships are privileges?
    it's a bit simplistic to split the world into rights and privileges... but a relationship is certainly more of a privilege than a right. You have to earn it and if you don't then you don't get one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    it's a bit simplistic to split the world into rights and privileges... but a relationship is certainly more of a privilege than a right. You have to earn it and if you don't then you don't get one.
    Then explain education about being a right or privilege?

ReputationRep:
    Then explain education about being a right or privilege?
    You have a right to a basic education. You do not have the right to have sex with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I doubt most of them worked for it. They just got it easy. I’ve watched people coming out in relationship then within a few weeks/months they’d find someone else and there’s me who still single. The problem those kind of people think they’re better than people like me.
    well there you go assuming again, you don't know what they've been through, have you asked them how many times they tried?

maybe it's to do with you as a person, maybe they have a quality or something about them which you don't, put yourself out there and try and find otu something both of you can relate to and maybe then you can develop something from there.

and also another assumption that they're better than you, that's 1 field that they're better than you, maybe you're better than them in many more countless more significant field

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    well there you go assuming again, you don't know what they've been through, have you asked them how many times they tried?

maybe it's to do with you as a person, maybe they have a quality or something about them which you don't, put yourself out there and try and find otu something both of you can relate to and maybe then you can develop something from there.

and also another assumption that they're better than you, that's 1 field that they're better than you, maybe you're better than them in many more countless more significant field
    It feels like these people get boyfriends/girlfriends without even trying and when try to put myself out there it gets back fired. If you believe that I’m not putting myself out there hard enough let me that I can’t try anymore harder. It’s really difficult for me.

It feels like they’re better than me I get so disgusted when I see young couples on Facebook, Instagram posing together in their photos, when I look see them I can’t help heading “Ha ha I’m better than you” running through my head.

ReputationRep:
    It feels like these people get boyfriends/girlfriends without even trying and when try to put myself out there it gets back fired. If you believe that I’m not putting myself out there hard enough let me that I can’t try anymore harder. It’s really difficult for me.

It feels like they’re better than me I get so disgusted when I see young couples on Facebook, Instagram posing together in their photos, when I look see them I can’t help heading “Ha ha I’m better than you” running through my head.
    someone forgot to anon whoops

i see well why do you want one so bad?

That's all in your head, think about what is better about having another person? What greater benefit for you outweighs the hinderances? For me company and someone who loves me isn't worth my time which i could achieve so much more in, I don't have to spend money on someone else, i can spend it doing what i like and giving to whom i choose, you get to be more free rather than tied down by your partner,

But no-one im sure is going to say to a single person that they're better because they have a partner. Otherwise if it was better every single person would have a couple even those not particularly interested simply because it is "better" and will bring beneifts of some sort.

ReputationRep:
    You could try using an app or an online dating website. As much as everyone is deserving of love you cant force people to like you. Girls/women expect guys to make the first move. Also if someone does not find you attractive, always remember someone else will. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    someone forgot to anon whoops

i see well why do you want one so bad?

That's all in your head, think about what is better about having another person? What greater benefit for you outweighs the hinderances? For me company and someone who loves me isn't worth my time which i could achieve so much more in, I don't have to spend money on someone else, i can spend it doing what i like and giving to whom i choose, you get to be more free rather than tied down by your partner,

But no-one im sure is going to say to a single person that they're better because they have a partner. Otherwise if it was better every single person would have a couple even those not particularly interested simply because it is "better" and will bring beneifts of some sort.
    TSR somehow removed the anon option. I don’t know why? Name:  E5945CCD-0908-45F3-8AF2-D016AD900F4B.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  321.9 KB

I know there’s lot of benefits being single but there are benefits in being in a relationship i.e someone loving you for who you are, someone finding attractive, taking photos together, travelling together, intimacy. I could understand there could be disadvantages but I wouldn’t know much because like I said I never been with anyone before.

Like I said I have that perception thinking they’re better than me in my head. I know they probably wouldn’t think that at all but my head is always one step ahead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    You could try using an app or an online dating website. As much as everyone is deserving of love you cant force people to like you. Girls/women expect guys to make the first move. Also if someone does not find you attractive, always remember someone else will. Good luck.
    Don’t get me started with online dating/chat room apps. Wasted on/off 6 years on Tagged, Meet Me on them that my friend requests often get declined, messages ignored. Before anyone on here jump down my throat accusing me of only chasing the good looking girls. I use those apps also to make friends as well so I was opened to speak to anyone on here even guys.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t get me started with online dating/chat room apps. Wasted on/off 6 years on Tagged, Meet Me on them that my friend requests often get declined, messages ignored. Before anyone on here jump down my throat accusing me of only chasing the good looking girls. I use those apps also to make friends as well so I was opened to speak to anyone on here even guys.
    Have you tried Tinder? I think online dating is good for experience and a good start. I heard some people have met their spouse on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    Have you tried Tinder? I think online dating is good for experience and a good start. I heard some people have met their spouse on there.
    I’ve dummied swipe everyone on Tinder and I don’t get a single match. I was convinced the app was broken but I’d consider using it again since it’s been almost 2 years the last time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    You basically just repeated your last post. See my last post.
    The struggle is real:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Because you're shy. Ask a girl out. She might say yes. And for god's sake don't just do it cause you want a shag. That's what one night stands and the prostitution industry are for.

ReputationRep:
    TSR somehow removed the anon option. I don’t know why? Name:  E5945CCD-0908-45F3-8AF2-D016AD900F4B.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  321.9 KB

I know there’s lot of benefits being single but there are benefits in being in a relationship i.e someone loving you for who you are, someone finding attractive, taking photos together, travelling together, intimacy. I could understand there could be disadvantages but I wouldn’t know much because like I said I never been with anyone before.

Like I said I have that perception thinking they’re better than me in my head. I know they probably wouldn’t think that at all but my head is always one step ahead
    Neither have I but i fear the culture the idiotc "feminist" movement and antifa sjw whatever group them all together. They are part of the reason why i don't ever want to even enter any sort of sexual relationship contact with another girl, because i knwo at any time i can be called out for whatever. For me it's safer to just be single and go about my own life and reduce any bs happening. The feminist movement isn't what it was, any logical sensible person is all for equality. Anyway enough of that.

Stop with the imaginaries and hypotheticals, rarely anyone will ever think that, otherwise i think the majority of people would also be ridiculed? So i mean we in the same boat if people do think that along with the majority of people, i think the majority of ppl are single?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxirin)
    Because you're shy. Ask a girl out. She might say yes. And for god's sake don't just do it cause you want a shag. That's what one night stands and the prostitution industry are for.
    If I like someone then I’d ask them out but rejection is what I fear. If I get rejected I’ll accept it since the person being asked out does have a right to say no but it’d knock my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    If I like someone then I’d ask them out but rejection is what I fear. If I get rejected I’ll accept it since the person being asked out does have a right to say no but it’d knock my confidence.
    You're not alone there Everyone goes through that when they want to ask someone out. It's just parting of the dating process ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxirin)
    You're not alone there Everyone goes through that when they want to ask someone out. It's just parting of the dating process ^^
    I honestly used to feel the same, but the only reason I did was because I feared everyone would find out I got rejected and I'd get bullied for it (yea, I didn't have the best time in primary school). But as I find out more about how people's personalities are, I realise this really isn't the case. Well, I still haven't asked anyone out, so I haven't come very far.

ReputationRep:
    Theres nothing wrong with being inexperienced. I had no experience of girls until the age of 17. What lead me to start talking to girls was the customer service job I was in. I went from a very shy and timid guy to talking to anyone! Maybe you need to try and give yourself a confidence boost by throwing yourself in the deep end like getting a 'people' job if you don't already have one or join clubs or societies.. I did with my job and I couldn't be more happier taking that plunge.

ReputationRep:
    I know that one thing that's a turn on for me is a guy who is confident and even a little arrogant. Especially when they only show interest in you 😂 Girls like to feel special, so if you go around to every girl asking them to go out with you then they will 100% say no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.