Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm studying for my exam tomorrow and have been researching all day but it's going straight over my head and i cant understand this particular criteria

'Explain how cells are organised into tissues, tissues into organs, organs into organ systems and organ systems into organisms'

If anyone could help i'd be very grateful, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Cells are a single unit. different types of cells make up a tissue, different tissues make up organs, different organs make up an organ system, and finally make an organism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariejuana)
    Cells are a single unit. different types of cells make up a tissue, different tissues make up organs, different organs make up an organ system, and finally make an organism
    Do you have to state what cells make up the tissue and what tissues make up the organs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariejuana)
    Different types of cells don't make up tissues, lots of cells of the same type make up a tissue, and lots of cells of different types (i.e. lots of different tissues) make up an organ. I fell into the same trap when I was at school, just be careful with your definitions :P

ReputationRep:
    Cells are the first and most basic unit. When cells with similar functions come together, they make a tissue (eg. muscle tissue). When different types of tissues work together to perform a body function, for example the stomach, you get an organ. When these organs work together to perform a body process like digestion, you get an organ system (in this case its digestive system). All of these together make up an organism.

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amieb24)
    Hi everyone!

I'm studying for my exam tomorrow and have been researching all day but it's going straight over my head and i cant understand this particular criteria

'Explain how cells are organized into tissues, tissues into organs, organs into organ systems and organ systems into organisms'

If anyone could help i'd be very grateful, thank you
    Cells are the basic units of organisms meaning they represent the smallest possible unit in an organism.
    Each cell has a specific function. A group of cells forms tissues responsible for certain functions in the body.
    A group of tissues each performing specific functions form an organ.

A group of organs responsible for various functions in the organism form an organ system.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.