Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

insecure women thinking you fancy their partners Watch

So I've had this problem a couple of times in life now and its really annoying me.

All my life I've been a bit of a "tomboy", my interests are pretty boyish and I've never really been into make-up etc. I know there are plenty of other women like this, too, or who are into both. I've also always been insecure and don't think I'm the prettiest person around.

So naturally I get along with most guys, we usually have things in common so we tend to get on well and have a laugh together. However the issue is that if they have girlfriends they tend to dislike me or act off with me. Now I'm not the type to flirt or cross the line, I've been cheated on and had experiences with bunny boiler type girls before and I'm not like that. However on a few occasions I've had girls, usually people I thought were my friends, accuse me of 'fancying' their boyfriends...

One example is at a house party I met a female friend's boyfriend for the first time and a song came on and i said "i love this band" and he was like "me too, i saw them live recently" me: "me too, at X venue? it was really good, we met the band before the gig they were really cool" bla bla. That was it. I look over and his girlfriend, my friend is sitting looking like someone has died. She then went into her bedroom crying and i comforted her and asked her what was wrong and she said she thought he was going to cheat on her. I reassured her and tried to be a good friend. Months later I find out shes been telling everyone she thinks I fancy her bf, we are all in our 20s so I thought it was really immature, and that she had no reason to think that because we just had a normal conversation...

The next one was a friend in college and her partner was in our class too. He failed an essay so I asked if he wanted help with it, I helped everyone in class, and he was like yeah sure, so i looked at it on the pc and made some suggestions. the whole time his girlfriend stood there looking really unhappy. She then later sent me a text which was obviously made up saying that another girl in the class was giving her boyfriend notes and she asked her permission because he's "my boyfriend and she wanted to make sure I was okay with it" ... I knew this was her being passive aggressive, because the girl who she was claiming was helping her bf had failed the class so why she would give him notes is anyone's guess. But the point is again, I wasn't flirting, I wasn't being inappropriate, but again there's an issue.

It's happened other times too. I'm fed up with girls disliking me and having an issue based on nothing, I haven't even touched their boyfriends, flirted, complimented them or anything. I wasn't even attracted to them. I know its probably that these girls are insecure and are taking it out on me but they were meant to be my friends, why didn't they trust me?

I just can't be arsed with this behaviour when we are all in our 20s....

ReputationRep:
    These are girls for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've had this problem a couple of times in life now and its really annoying me.

All my life I've been a bit of a "tomboy", my interests are pretty boyish and I've never really been into make-up etc. I know there are plenty of other women like this, too, or who are into both. I've also always been insecure and don't think I'm the prettiest person around.

So naturally I get along with most guys, we usually have things in common so we tend to get on well and have a laugh together. However the issue is that if they have girlfriends they tend to dislike me or act off with me. Now I'm not the type to flirt or cross the line, I've been cheated on and had experiences with bunny boiler type girls before and I'm not like that. However on a few occasions I've had girls, usually people I thought were my friends, accuse me of 'fancying' their boyfriends...

One example is at a house party I met a female friend's boyfriend for the first time and a song came on and i said "i love this band" and he was like "me too, i saw them live recently" me: "me too, at X venue? it was really good, we met the band before the gig they were really cool" bla bla. That was it. I look over and his girlfriend, my friend is sitting looking like someone has died. She then went into her bedroom crying and i comforted her and asked her what was wrong and she said she thought he was going to cheat on her. I reassured her and tried to be a good friend. Months later I find out shes been telling everyone she thinks I fancy her bf, we are all in our 20s so I thought it was really immature, and that she had no reason to think that because we just had a normal conversation...

The next one was a friend in college and her partner was in our class too. He failed an essay so I asked if he wanted help with it, I helped everyone in class, and he was like yeah sure, so i looked at it on the pc and made some suggestions. the whole time his girlfriend stood there looking really unhappy. She then later sent me a text which was obviously made up saying that another girl in the class was giving her boyfriend notes and she asked her permission because he's "my boyfriend and she wanted to make sure I was okay with it" ... I knew this was her being passive aggressive, because the girl who she was claiming was helping her bf had failed the class so why she would give him notes is anyone's guess. But the point is again, I wasn't flirting, I wasn't being inappropriate, but again there's an issue.

It's happened other times too. I'm fed up with girls disliking me and having an issue based on nothing, I haven't even touched their boyfriends, flirted, complimented them or anything. I wasn't even attracted to them. I know its probably that these girls are insecure and are taking it out on me but they were meant to be my friends, why didn't they trust me?

I just can't be arsed with this behaviour when we are all in our 20s....
    Pretty petty behaviour coming from these 20 year olds they need to get their act together acting like a group of high school gossiping girls smh. You need to hang around with more mature people. Hope your situation gets better xx

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean but some girls can't help but dislike their boyfriend's girl friends especially if they are close. The reason is some girls try to befriend guys just to get with them even though they know they have girlfriends. It's just girls being territorial. Maybe next time try to also befriend the girl and show her that you're not attracted to the boyfriend.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.