Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to tell my family i'm leaving uni 3rd year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How do i break the news to them? I can't believe i'm so afraid to tell my own family ! This is ridiculous ...

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure about leaving just when you nearing the end?
    What's making you leave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy545)
    Are you sure about leaving just when you nearing the end?
    What's making you leave?
    I'm just really put off by all the work and we have to do this conference in front of 8-10 classmates and 2 tutors which has totally put me off because i know i won't even turn up to that because it scares the living crap out of me having to present because i'm super quiet/shy and awkward around people. So if i know i'm going to fail that what's the point of putting myself through all the pain of the 3rd year. Also i'm pretty much behind on work for most modules because i'm so unmotivated. I'm also feeling depressed so i can't imagine me doing this dissertation any time soon either so why not just quit now. I have no motivation. I never wanted a proper high paid job i just wanted to graduate but i guess that's not happening now.

ReputationRep:
    bleep bleep richie

ReputationRep:
    yassss

ReputationRep:
    abc do re me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamandJelly)
    How do i break the news to them? I can't believe i'm so afraid to tell my own family ! This is ridiculous ...
    they're probably gonna convince u to stay-its ur last year also why not just power through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    they're probably gonna convince u to stay-its ur last year also why not just power through it.
    trust me if i had the energy to power through it i honestly would its that type of course where i won't even get a job with the degree you have to study further so there's that too.. i fee too depressed to even write words down for any assignment my minds all fogged up atm.. and if your mental health is so bad you consider s*u*i*c*i*d*e because uni is so stressfull why not quit i'd rather be happy

ReputationRep:
    trust me if i had the energy to power through it i honestly would its that type of course where i won't even get a job with the degree you have to study further so there's that too.. i fee too depressed to even write words down for any assignment my minds all fogged up atm.. and if your mental health is so bad you consider s*u*i*c*i*d*e because uni is so stressfull why not quit i'd rather be happy
    Simply do a leave of absence on the grounds of health, this leaves the door open to continue at uni and keeps your family happy
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Simply do a leave of absence on the grounds of health, this leaves the door open to continue at uni and keeps your family happy
    i would but i know i can't finish this course because we have to do this big conference thing in front of 10 class peers and 2 tutors there's no way i would pass so whts the point in waiting around

ReputationRep:
    what course is it? gender studies?

ReputationRep:
    What is the course? Just out of interest since you say it's hard to get a job without further education making it sound like a research based degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what course is it? gender studies?
    childhood studies

ReputationRep:
    i would but i know i can't finish this course because we have to do this big conference thing in front of 10 class peers and 2 tutors there's no way i would pass so whts the point in waiting around
    youll regret dropping out because of that in the future no doubt.
    twelve people brother
    taking a break sounds best- if u don't feel better in a year then sure drop it

ReputationRep:
    I'm just really put off by all the work and we have to do this conference in front of 8-10 classmates and 2 tutors which has totally put me off because i know i won't even turn up to that because it scares the living crap out of me having to present because i'm super quiet/shy and awkward around people. So if i know i'm going to fail that what's the point of putting myself through all the pain of the 3rd year. Also i'm pretty much behind on work for most modules because i'm so unmotivated. I'm also feeling depressed so i can't imagine me doing this dissertation any time soon either so why not just quit now. I have no motivation. I never wanted a proper high paid job i just wanted to graduate but i guess that's not happening now.
    You could ask to go part-time and finish the degree over two years?

If you do decide to leave then make sure you get certification for the two years you have completed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyA)
    What is the course? Just out of interest since you say it's hard to get a job without further education making it sound like a research based degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
    childhood studies so id have to do further study in my chosen career field e.g. teaching or social work etc.

ReputationRep:
    youll regret dropping out because of that in the future no doubt.
    twelve people brother
    taking a break sounds best- if u don't feel better in a year then sure drop it
    trust me i won't regret it because of that i'd rather quit than embarrass myself i'm super quiet/shy and awkward so presenting on my own is not my best area of expertise yeah i might just take a break idk man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You could ask to go part-time and finish the degree over two years?

If you do decide to leave then make sure you get certification for the two years you have completed.
    thanx i'll make sure i do

ReputationRep:
    If your fear of public speaking is so bad that you would rather drop out of your degree in the third year then face it, then you have an absolutely massive phobia and you need help.

First, go to your tutor. Explain to them what you have explained to us. They will be used to students who have a public speaking phobia and may be able to think of some work-arounds.

Second go to your GP. There may be a medical explanation for your wider malaise, and they may be able to refer you to counselling re your phobia.

Do both of the above without delay, and certainly before you make any decisions about dropping out.

ReputationRep:
    Yea you can get diazepam from the doctor for that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.