Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to tell my family i'm leaving uni 3rd year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a mental disorder and wanted to drop out in 3rd year

however I still managed to get a degree
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You really can't drop out just because you are scared of public speaking. (although I know you say you are demotivated.) See your tutor and explain how you feel in the first instance.

ReputationRep:
    There are many techniques to help public speaking phobia. (Ive never had a problem with it myself as its 'structured,; its 'unstructured' social interaction Ive found harder historically.) Imagining the whole audience naked is a popular one, it mentally takes the focus off YOU to something external.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Family members of mine have been through similar situations. I suggest you go to the GP and talk about your mental health, they can arrange a counsellor for you etc. and perhaps write a doctors note for your uni explaining how you are struggling due to mental heath. The uni may allow you to stop and fall back a year for you to recover. Just make sure you communicate this to your gp and then to your tutor so that someone knows and can help you out and give you alternative options than just dropping out. You've already done 2 years of uni, it would be sad to put them to waste! Also, you should tell your family how you're feeling , it may help you and you'd get more support. Wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    I would: 1) address your health ASAP - you need to see a GP or a mental health nurse to try and help you with depression (or what sounds like one); 2) write a letter to your tutor explaining exactly what you wrote here. No one will think any less of you for admitting that you have a fear of public speaking - and Unis often have a great support framework for students who may struggle with any aspect of studies/life at any point. I would not quit now but seek help to help you find a way forward with all of it. Best of luck. 🙂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.