The Student Room Group

Can Universities offer you a place even though you didn't apply for them?

Somebody told me that Universities can offer you a place on their course despite not applying for them, just wondering if this is true?
Reply 1
If you applied for a certain course at that univeristy, but say they couldn't take anymore people, they might offer you another similar course at their uni
Original post by meowza
Somebody told me that Universities can offer you a place on their course despite not applying for them, just wondering if this is true?

They might sometimes offer you a different course in the same uni, so for example if you applied for Physics and Philosophy, but your philosophy side of your application wasn't good they might offer you a place on their physics course instead if they feel that you are a student they wish to have in their uni, but your skills would be better suited for another course.

But this is only for unis that you've applied to (as far as I know), so you won't get an offer from a random uni you didn't send an application to.
Original post by meowza
I suppose legally there's nothing stopping a university from offering anyone a place whether they applied or not.

Realistically, the likelihood of this happening is honestly one in a million.

What you may be getting confused with is that a university can offer you a place on a different course to the one you originally applied for if the course you did apply for has been cancelled (rare but it happens) or is full and they still want you to study there.

P.S. I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by meowza

No uni is going to randomly phone you and offer you a place. But there are ways of getting an offer from a uni even if it wasn't on your initial UCAS application.

If you initially applied to fewer than 5 choices, you can add choices later through UCAS Track so that you get 5 in total

If it's within 14 days of sending your application, you can change your choices - so you can replace your options if you change your mind

If you want a different course at the same uni, you can contact the uni directly (by email or phone) and ask them if they will let you swap to the new course

If you get no offers, or if you don't like the offers, you can apply through [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki]

You can apply through Clearing, which initially involves phoning unis to see if they're interested in you, and then sending an application through UCAS once they have confirmed they'll offer you a place.

If you have not applied through UCAS, you may be able to be accepted by the uni directly without UCAS. This is only done if you're making a very late application. The uni would advise you to fill in a Record of Prior Acceptance form.

If you applied for a course within that uni, yes they may offer you another one. But them offering you a place without eer having them as an option (unless in clearing etc) is literally impossible, unless your aunt is Head of Admissions or something.
Reply 6
Original post by meowza

yes, I received one myself so I can confirm

Quick Reply

Latest