Learn to drive automatic or manual? Watch

StudentKid26
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I plan on learning to drive in the new year. Which should I learn? I've tried both and basically know the automatic. Manual I'm still having trouble with the clutch coordination. I've had a lot of mixed opinions some saying, 'learn automatic, manual is going extinct!' others, 'Learn manual first then you can drive both!'. I feel like it is going to take me a long time with the clutch if I even get it at all, but I do like the idea of being able to drive all gearboxes.
july13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Persist! Manual may be hard but it’s better in the long run!
questionofrust
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd say manual, as then you're covered on all bases, e.g. driving someone else's car.
Trihawk7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Manual, no point in limiting yourself to auto only
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to Learning to drive.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StudentKid26)
I plan on learning to drive in the new year. Which should I learn? I've tried both and basically know the automatic. Manual I'm still having trouble with the clutch coordination. I've had a lot of mixed opinions some saying, 'learn automatic, manual is going extinct!' others, 'Learn manual first then you can drive both!'. I feel like it is going to take me a long time with the clutch if I even get it at all, but I do like the idea of being able to drive all gearboxes.
Manual of course then you don’t have licence restrictions.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GovernmentEarner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Manual, so then you can drive auto anyway...
honor532
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had 10 lessons in a manual and hated it. I have had 3 lessons in an automatic and LOVE IT!! It is so much easier and I can concentrate on the road and everything I need to do without worrying about the gears and clutch. Do what you think is best and if you chose automatic, you will be doing your test in no time.

You can always learn in an manual in the future if you decide you want to do that.
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Manual may be going extinct, but a lot of used cars are still manual. I would see how you get on with manual first.
Arima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
learn manual, and you can drive manual and automatic. learn automatic only, and you can drive automatic only.
martin7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bear in mind that if you pass your test in an automatic and then want to start driving manuals, you'll need to pass another driving test...
FireSt0rm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a new driver Im assuming your youngish. Manual cars and much much cheaper to buy and repair.
silverfox44
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I first learnt in a manual and hated it so much I was terrified to drive. Now I drive an automatic and id never go back, allows me to concentrate on other things such as the road and my surroundings and if you live somewhere with lots of traffic like I do it’s a life saver! Obviously automatic cars are slightly more expensive and you are a bit restricted but automatic cars are becoming a lot more common, you can still easily hire automatics too. Only time it’s an issue is if you ever need to drive a company car or drive someone else’s but for me those 2 things were highly unlikely to ever happen
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Destoroyah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Learn manual - Clutch control takes some time to learn, but once you've got the clutch and gears mastered you should do reasonably well - Since not many people choose to learn automatic, anyone who does risks being fleeced by just about everyone! Before I found a driving school that was right for me, I found that automatic driving schools would charge nearly twice as much for the same amount of time you'd get in a manual lesson.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (47)
61.84%
No (29)
38.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise