Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I plan on learning to drive in the new year. Which should I learn? I've tried both and basically know the automatic. Manual I'm still having trouble with the clutch coordination. I've had a lot of mixed opinions some saying, 'learn automatic, manual is going extinct!' others, 'Learn manual first then you can drive both!'. I feel like it is going to take me a long time with the clutch if I even get it at all, but I do like the idea of being able to drive all gearboxes.

ReputationRep:
    Persist! Manual may be hard but it’s better in the long run!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say manual, as then you're covered on all bases, e.g. driving someone else's car.

ReputationRep:
    Manual, no point in limiting yourself to auto only
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Learning to drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentKid26)
    I plan on learning to drive in the new year. Which should I learn? I've tried both and basically know the automatic. Manual I'm still having trouble with the clutch coordination. I've had a lot of mixed opinions some saying, 'learn automatic, manual is going extinct!' others, 'Learn manual first then you can drive both!'. I feel like it is going to take me a long time with the clutch if I even get it at all, but I do like the idea of being able to drive all gearboxes.
    Manual of course then you don’t have licence restrictions.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Manual, so then you can drive auto anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I had 10 lessons in a manual and hated it. I have had 3 lessons in an automatic and LOVE IT!! It is so much easier and I can concentrate on the road and everything I need to do without worrying about the gears and clutch. Do what you think is best and if you chose automatic, you will be doing your test in no time.

You can always learn in an manual in the future if you decide you want to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Manual may be going extinct, but a lot of used cars are still manual. I would see how you get on with manual first.

ReputationRep:
    learn manual, and you can drive manual and automatic. learn automatic only, and you can drive automatic only.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that if you pass your test in an automatic and then want to start driving manuals, you'll need to pass another driving test...

ReputationRep:
    As a new driver Im assuming your youngish. Manual cars and much much cheaper to buy and repair.

ReputationRep:
    I first learnt in a manual and hated it so much I was terrified to drive. Now I drive an automatic and id never go back, allows me to concentrate on other things such as the road and my surroundings and if you live somewhere with lots of traffic like I do it’s a life saver! Obviously automatic cars are slightly more expensive and you are a bit restricted but automatic cars are becoming a lot more common, you can still easily hire automatics too. Only time it’s an issue is if you ever need to drive a company car or drive someone else’s but for me those 2 things were highly unlikely to ever happen
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Learn manual - Clutch control takes some time to learn, but once you've got the clutch and gears mastered you should do reasonably well - Since not many people choose to learn automatic, anyone who does risks being fleeced by just about everyone! Before I found a driving school that was right for me, I found that automatic driving schools would charge nearly twice as much for the same amount of time you'd get in a manual lesson.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.