Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scammer knows my name and address Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I recently got a phone call from a scammer. She told me it will only take 1 minute, and she said my name and address and asked if that was me. I repeatedly asked her 'who's this and what do you want?' She hung up after a few seconds.

I'm not 100% sure it was a scammer but, not trying to be funny/stereotypical, she had an indian accent and the background was full of people talking. To fuel my suspicion, she didn't even state who she was/who she worked for when she called.

How do you think they found my name?
    Could it be malware? I have recently made purchases on ebay/amazon.
    How easy is it to obtain a persons name and address?
    What can they do with this information? Should I be worried?
    How can I prevent anything from happening?

I'm creeped out tbh

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps if you have the number, report it to the police.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenice)
    I recently got a phone call from a scammer. She told me it will only take 1 minute, and she said my name and address and asked if that was me. I repeatedly asked her 'who's this and what do you want?' She hung up after a few seconds.

I'm not 100% sure it was a scammer but, not trying to be funny/stereotypical, she had an indian accent and the background was full of people talking. To fuel my suspicion, she didn't even state who she was/who she worked for when she called.

I'm creeped out tbh
    Probably found you in something that you signed up for.

I wouldn't be that worried if it were me, but I'd definitely perhaps inform the police.

ReputationRep:
    I also forgot to mention they called my landline. Idk if theres anything significant about that

ReputationRep:
    Companies sell your information onto other parties all the time.

Don't be worried unless someone actually asks you for your credit card info etc
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I also forgot to mention they called my landline. Idk if theres anything significant about that
    Probably found you on the yellow pages (or equivalent). I wouldn't be too worried, honestly. Just opt to go ex-directory in future.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I’m just overreacting. Thanks for the replies so far

ReputationRep:

I'm creeped out tbh
    I'll answer your questions in order: firstly I'm going to ask did you say "yes" at any point in the convo? if you did then they can edit the audio of the phone call to make it sound like you agreed to pay them money and then they can sue you for said money, its a common attack on elderly people as they don't know about scams like that.
    1. Its easy to find your name, I could probably find it from your username alone.

2. It could maybe be malware on your computer that told them the information, yes, scan using AVG or something to make sure. If you made purchases on ebay or something and put your CC details in and then you find out you had a virus then that could be a problem, again the could use the CC info to sap money from you.

3. Super duper easy, I can find around 70% of people's names, addresses, phone nos, ages, emails, other accounts and sometimes even passwords. usually depends how careful the people are online. (thats me being a 16 year old with no hardcore coding experience or education in searching for details online.)

4. Depending what info they have, it can lead to numerous things. They could be trying to scare you into giving money to them/your CC info, (never tell anyone your CC info over the phone.) If they just have your name and address, you can probably get a lot of that info from your phone number. If I type up a phone number then usually you can find some info about the person who owns the phone number. If they only have that info then they can only scare you with it, only becomes a problem if they have extremely important information. You probably shouldn't be worried, people like these are usually extremely stupid and have no skills in finding out much of your info, banks usually pay back money if you were scammed (depending how much it is).

5. If you're really worried, then freeze your bank account, change your passwords (after scanning your devices), set up 2 step verification for bank accounts and other things as that's basically like having 2 passwords.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I’m just overreacting. Thanks for the replies so far
    Report cold calls here:
    https://ico.org.uk/concerns/nuisance...-and-messages/

ReputationRep:
    it might be the "Microsoft Help Crew"... they tend to be Indian & will try to take over your computer if you let them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'll answer your questions in order: firstly I'm going to ask did you say "yes" at any point in the convo? if you did then they can edit the audio of the phone call to make it sound like you agreed to pay them money and then they can sue you for said money, its a common attack on elderly people as they don't know about scams like that.
    1. Its easy to find your name, I could probably find it from your username alone.

2. It could maybe be malware on your computer that told them the information, yes, scan using AVG or something to make sure. If you made purchases on ebay or something and put your CC details in and then you find out you had a virus then that could be a problem, again the could use the CC info to sap money from you.

3. Super duper easy, I can find around 70% of people's names, addresses, phone nos, ages, emails, other accounts and sometimes even passwords. usually depends how careful the people are online. (thats me being a 16 year old with no hardcore coding experience or education in searching for details online.)

4. Depending what info they have, it can lead to numerous things. They could be trying to scare you into giving money to them/your CC info, (never tell anyone your CC info over the phone.) If they just have your name and address, you can probably get a lot of that info from your phone number. If I type up a phone number then usually you can find some info about the person who owns the phone number. If they only have that info then they can only scare you with it, only becomes a problem if they have extremely important information. You probably shouldn't be worried, people like these are usually extremely stupid and have no skills in finding out much of your info, banks usually pay back money if you were scammed (depending how much it is).

5. If you're really worried, then freeze your bank account, change your passwords (after scanning your devices), set up 2 step verification for bank accounts and other things as that's basically like having 2 passwords.
    Thanks for the detailed reply. In the conversation, I think I sort of blurted out a 'yeah'. Now i'm worried that they might actually do that, like edit the phone call and sue me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the detailed reply. In the conversation, I think I sort of blurted out a 'yeah'. Now i'm worried that they might actually do that, like edit the phone call and sue me
    https://www.komando.com/happening-no...ely-its-a-scam Ear ya go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.