Scammer knows my name and address

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Xenice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I recently got a phone call from a scammer. She told me it will only take 1 minute, and she said my name and address and asked if that was me. I repeatedly asked her 'who's this and what do you want?' She hung up after a few seconds.

I'm not 100% sure it was a scammer but, not trying to be funny/stereotypical, she had an indian accent and the background was full of people talking. To fuel my suspicion, she didn't even state who she was/who she worked for when she called.

How do you think they found my name?
Could it be malware? I have recently made purchases on ebay/amazon.
How easy is it to obtain a persons name and address?
What can they do with this information? Should I be worried?
How can I prevent anything from happening?

I'm creeped out tbh
hellomellow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Perhaps if you have the number, report it to the police.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Xenice)
I recently got a phone call from a scammer. She told me it will only take 1 minute, and she said my name and address and asked if that was me. I repeatedly asked her 'who's this and what do you want?' She hung up after a few seconds.

I'm not 100% sure it was a scammer but, not trying to be funny/stereotypical, she had an indian accent and the background was full of people talking. To fuel my suspicion, she didn't even state who she was/who she worked for when she called.

How do you think they found my name?
Could it be malware? I have recently made purchases on ebay/amazon.
How easy is it to obtain a persons name and address?
What can they do with this information? Should I be worried?
How can I prevent anything from happening?

I'm creeped out tbh
Probably found you in something that you signed up for.

I wouldn't be that worried if it were me, but I'd definitely perhaps inform the police.
Xenice
Rep:
?
I also forgot to mention they called my landline. Idk if theres anything significant about that
Trihawk7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Companies sell your information onto other parties all the time.

Don't be worried unless someone actually asks you for your credit card info etc
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I also forgot to mention they called my landline. Idk if theres anything significant about that
Probably found you on the yellow pages (or equivalent). I wouldn't be too worried, honestly. Just opt to go ex-directory in future.
Xenice
Rep:
?
I guess I’m just overreacting. Thanks for the replies so far
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess I’m just overreacting. Thanks for the replies so far
Report cold calls here:
https://ico.org.uk/concerns/nuisance...-and-messages/
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it might be the "Microsoft Help Crew"... they tend to be Indian & will try to take over your computer if you let them.
Xenice
Rep:
?
Thanks for the detailed reply. In the conversation, I think I sort of blurted out a 'yeah'. Now i'm worried that they might actually do that, like edit the phone call and sue me
pianpore888
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey @Xenice me too i got this damnly phone calls that keep interrupting dinners and it same as you indian accent knows my name and background noise!!!
ZXCharli3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same happened to me but on text I don't know what to do
ZXCharli3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just realized how late I am to this thread
Epitype
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They tend to get the information from the electoral register and the open register, maybe that's how they got it?
ZXCharli3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Epitype)
They tend to get the information from the electoral register and the open register, maybe that's how they got it?
Thanks man
Girl girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Guys my Friend say that her boyfriend want To send her a package and she gave her address,name,country,state
eez
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its easy - dont worry.
Lozboo
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey guys this number (914) 265 602 called me just now pretend to be Edf gas metre he asked me believable questions Incase if someone has covid bla bla also he mentioned my name 😭 has an Indian accent do you guys get a call from him? How does he know my name or it’s a friend If it’s a company ? Do you think it’s someone knows me ?????? I gave him my postcode it’s scary am terrified. !
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lozboo)
Hey guys this number ********** called me just now pretend to be Edf gas metre he asked me believable questions Incase if someone has covid bla bla also he mentioned my name 😭 has an Indian accent do you guys get a call from him? How does he know my name or it’s a friend If it’s a company ? Do you think it’s someone knows me ?????? I gave him my postcode it’s scary am terrified. !
You should get rid of the number from your paragraph...
Also, this is a 2 year old thread.
ebubble
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There are many ways that fraudsters can get private information, for example easyJet had a data breach only a few months ago. Customer details and credit card information was stolen, it's then sold online. You can search online to see if your email address has been seen in a data breach. Try this HIBP data breach search
Enter your email address and if anything shows up change your passwords. Never use the same password for multiple accounts. I have tried it a few times with friends email addresses and most of them were surprised at what came up.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads