Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very difficult decision for A levels Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just found out today that for Geography A level that I am doing I HAVE to attend a trip which costs a ridiculous £240 and plus you have to stay and sleep there for a week by sharing rooms which is just ridiculous to me, if I don't attend this trip I risk losing my 30% of marks in AS Geography which is linked to fieldwork. I am now considering to drop Geography because of this which really is a shame because Geography is an easy subject to understand than subjects like Biology. I am thinking of replacing Geography with Chemistry or Physics and the benefit of doing these subjects is that you get less essay based questions unlike Geography, should I go on this trip even tho my parents will never allow me or should I go ahead with my plan of doing A level Physics or Chemistry instead?

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what you want to do really, if you want to do something geography based at uni then there’s no point dropping it for a science subject, the only way round it is to say that you’re already on holiday the week that the trip takes place, or you could see if your school has a bursary scheme?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel100499)
    It all depends on what you want to do really, if you want to do something geography based at uni then there’s no point dropping it for a science subject, the only way round it is to say that you’re already on holiday the week that the trip takes place, or you could see if your school has a bursary scheme?
    I most certainly don't want to do Geography at uni, I want to do Computer Science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I most certainly don't want to do Geography at uni, I want to do Computer Science
    Oh in that case then it doesn’t matter if you drop geography or not then, but I can tell you now chemistry is very hard at A level and takes a while to understand everything, but if you feel that you can do it then go for it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh in that case then it doesn’t matter if you drop geography or not then, but I can tell you now chemistry is very hard at A level and takes a while to understand everything, but if you feel that you can do it then go for it
    I am planning to take Physics instead, is it as difficult as chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    I just found out today that for Geography A level that I am doing I HAVE to attend a trip which costs a ridiculous £240 and plus you have to stay and sleep there for a week by sharing rooms which is just ridiculous to me, if I don't attend this trip I risk losing my 30% of marks in AS Geography which is linked to fieldwork. I am now considering to drop Geography because of this which really is a shame because Geography is an easy subject to understand than subjects like Biology. I am thinking of replacing Geography with Chemistry or Physics and the benefit of doing these subjects is that you get less essay based questions unlike Geography, should I go on this trip even tho my parents will never allow me or should I go ahead with my plan of doing A level Physics or Chemistry instead?
    They should offer a local option - many schools don't have such expensive field work. Were you told this before you started the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    They should offer a local option - many schools don't have such expensive field work. Were you told this before you started the course?
    Nope, I was only told we had to field work so I thought it was again one of those free field works which you do just for one day at GCSE but I never expected it to be expensive and long lasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    If the trip is compulsory they can't actually make you pay for it, it's somewhere in the rules of the education authorities. If it's optional and it would be nice to go then you have to pay for it, if you have to go then you can argue and say you're going but can't pay for it. If you threaten to get the school governors and/or the local media involved then they'll let you go for free as it's a requirement that they pay if it's a compulsory trip. They're obviously going to ask everyone for the money because they don't want to pay themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I am someone who does Chemistry and Physics (As well as Further Maths and Maths), wanting to do Computer Science, I feel like I am in a position to give you some help:

If your Maths is good, your Physics will be good, this sorta applies, but only to an extent, Physics is also quite content heavy, however as long as you know your Maths and how you can apply it, the theory will be natural to you, still very hard, obviously.

Chemistry, is a different ball game, it is one of the hardest A Levels for a reason, you should only really take Chemistry if you REALLY love it, as the Content is very hard to grasp at first, and there is quite a lot of it, I'd suggest highly for you to consider before taking any of these sciences, at this point, especially after a month, because there will be a lot of work to catch up on, only take it, if you're really passionate about the subject.

Computer Science, as long as you're really good at Maths, CompSci is good, only requirements are Maths (and maybe Physics, but not often, usually unis that like this say Maths w/1 other science) at most places, not even Maths at some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    If the trip is compulsory they can't actually make you pay for it, it's somewhere in the rules of the education authorities. If it's optional and it would be nice to go then you have to pay for it, if you have to go then you can argue and say you're going but can't pay for it. If you threaten to get the school governors and/or the local media involved then they'll let you go for free as it's a requirement that they pay if it's a compulsory trip. They're obviously going to ask everyone for the money because they don't want to pay themselves.
    I have paid for a lot of trips but never paid over £80 for one in my whole life, and the hilarious thing about it is that they are going to take us to the south of England like WTF? Out of all the places why the south? The actual price was £480 and the school paid half of it so we have to pay the rest, with that money they can just buy plane tickets for cheap airlines like EasyJet and make us do our work abroad like in Spain which would have been very nice.

ReputationRep:
    I have paid for a lot of trips but never paid over £80 for one in my whole life, and the hilarious thing about it is that they are going to take us to the south of England like WTF? Out of all the places why the south? The actual price was £480 and the school paid half of it so we have to pay the rest, with that money they can just buy plane tickets for cheap airlines like EasyJet and make us do our work abroad like in Spain which would have been very nice.
    You still don't have to pay anything at all, it's in the rules of the inclusion policies every school has to abide by. Tell your school this, if they still say no then tell them you're going to go to the governors and/or the press, that will work as they actually do have to pay for all of it if it's compulsory. The governors are above the school and will know the policies better than they do. They're very easy to contact, every school has their own board of governors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    I am someone who does Chemistry and Physics (As well as Further Maths and Maths), wanting to do Computer Science, I feel like I am in a position to give you some help:

If your Maths is good, your Physics will be good, this sorta applies, but only to an extent, Physics is also quite content heavy, however as long as you know your Maths and how you can apply it, the theory will be natural to you, still very hard, obviously.

Chemistry, is a different ball game, it is one of the hardest A Levels for a reason, you should only really take Chemistry if you REALLY love it, as the Content is very hard to grasp at first, and there is quite a lot of it, I'd suggest highly for you to consider before taking any of these sciences, at this point, especially after a month, because there will be a lot of work to catch up on, only take it, if you're really passionate about the subject.

Computer Science, as long as you're really good at Maths, CompSci is good, only requirements are Maths (and maybe Physics, but not often, usually unis that like this say Maths w/1 other science) at most places, not even Maths at some.
    I didn't do that great in my Maths GCSE, only got a 5 but I don't mind doing maths which just involves working with numbers, algebra and graphs. JUST NOT GEOMETRY as I absolutely HATE it, if physics does involve a lot of geometry then I will have to think twice.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do that great in my Maths GCSE, only got a 5 but I don't mind doing maths which just involves working with numbers, algebra and graphs. JUST NOT GEOMETRY as I absolutely HATE it, if physics does involve a lot of geometry then I will have to think twice.
    don't do maths with a 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariejuana)
    don't do maths with a 5.
    I did research Physics and it only contains 40% of maths according to our school website, the content is surprisingly less than Biology which is what I am currently doing, not going to do Maths in a million years as I know I will fail badly. Of course I am aware you still need to put in a lot of hard work in Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Show them this:

'School governing bodies and local authorities, cannot charge for:

education provided outside school hours if it is part of the national curriculum, or part of a syllabus for a prescribed public examination that the pupil is being prepared for at the school, or part of religious education'

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...activities.pdf

The trip is part of the syllabus for a geography exam you're being prepared for at the school, they can't charge you for it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths will involve quite a bit of geometry in pure.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I was only told we had to field work so I thought it was again one of those free field works which you do just for one day at GCSE but I never expected it to be expensive and long lasting.
    They can't make you pay for something they say is compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You still don't have to pay anything at all, it's in the rules of the inclusion policies every school has to abide by. Tell your school this, if they still say no then tell them you're going to go to the governors and/or the press, that will work as they actually do have to pay for all of it if it's compulsory. The governors are above the school and will know the policies better than they do. They're very easy to contact, every school has their own board of governors.
    I did ask them if there was a way around it and they said no, I said to them "What happens if you don't go to the trip sir?", he said "Well then you will do badly in your AS and that will be your fault", I mentioned to him about the cost and he said to go and speak with our head of year for a bursary scheme.

ReputationRep:
    I did ask them if there was a way around it and they said no, I said to them "What happens if you don't go to the trip sir?", he said "Well then you will do badly in your AS and that will be your fault", I mentioned to him about the cost and he said to go and speak with our head of year for a bursary scheme.
    Look at my newer post, post 15. Print off the page from that website and show them that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)

Chemistry, is a different ball game, it is one of the hardest A Levels Imo phy a reason, you should only really take Chemistry if you REALLY love it, as the Content is very hard to grasp at first, and there is quite a lot of it, I'd suggest highly for you to consider before taking any of these sciences, at this point, especially after a month, because there will be a lot of work to catch up on, only take it, if you're really passionate about the subject.

Imo physics is harder than chem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.