Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very difficult decision for A levels Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ask your school for financial aid.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by The RAR)
    I just found out today that for Geography A level that I am doing I HAVE to attend a trip which costs a ridiculous £240 and plus you have to stay and sleep there for a week by sharing rooms which is just ridiculous to me, if I don't attend this trip I risk losing my 30% of marks in AS Geography which is linked to fieldwork. I am now considering to drop Geography because of this which really is a shame because Geography is an easy subject to understand than subjects like Biology. I am thinking of replacing Geography with Chemistry or Physics and the benefit of doing these subjects is that you get less essay based questions unlike Geography, should I go on this trip even tho my parents will never allow me or should I go ahead with my plan of doing A level Physics or Chemistry instead?
    The problem is it costs £240?
    Its a week away?
    Your parents wont allow it?

If you have to give it up then do so , assuming the school let you switch. Assuming I met the entrance criteria for the course I wanted to join (usually maths), then id take the a level I was to get the best grade in.

ReputationRep:
    Geography has loads of stats in it. Just do maths instead, you don’t need geography to do a geography degree at uni. If you’re doing maths do Further maths.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I feel you, OP. I wanted to do Geography but the whole fieldwork aspect completely put me off

Like others have said, I would ask if your college could contribute in any way. If that's not possible and you really really don't want to do it then it wouldn't be too late to change subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxlxlee)
    I feel you, OP. I wanted to do Geography but the whole fieldwork aspect completely put me off

Like others have said, I would ask if your college could contribute in any way. If that's not possible and you really really don't want to do it then it wouldn't be too late to change subjects.
    He's recommended to come to a decision soon. Most schools don't allow change past half term.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do that great in my Maths GCSE, only got a 5 but I don't mind doing maths which just involves working with numbers, algebra and graphs. JUST NOT GEOMETRY as I absolutely HATE it, if physics does involve a lot of geometry then I will have to think twice.
    Physics will involve some geometry. I'm in my first year and I'm doing the waves topic. Quite a bit of trigonometry (luckily only right-angled-triangles for now), and this is only week 6. If you only got a 5, I don't recommend you do physics or chemistry. My college wouldn't even allow anything less than a 6 for these subjects.

Chemistry is very tough content-wise and is very calculation-heavy. If you disliked mole-related calculations at GCSE, don't take it. So far, that's practically all we've done, just with more complications thrown on top.

As for computer science, read through some of the content first. Some of it is pretty difficult to grasp at first, and you will probably have to spend quite a lot of time early on to get to grips with things like binary, hex, 2s complement and boolean algebra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    He's recommended to come to a decision soon. Most schools don't allow change past half term.
    So I literally have only tomorrow and Thursday to come to a final decision? This is gonna be tough, but it wouldn't affect me much as I actually haven't started Geography revision yet and did not do much in class.

ReputationRep:
    I just found out today that for Geography A level that I am doing I HAVE to attend a trip which costs a ridiculous £240 and plus you have to stay and sleep there for a week by sharing rooms which is just ridiculous to me, if I don't attend this trip I risk losing my 30% of marks in AS Geography which is linked to fieldwork. I am now considering to drop Geography because of this which really is a shame because Geography is an easy subject to understand than subjects like Biology. I am thinking of replacing Geography with Chemistry or Physics and the benefit of doing these subjects is that you get less essay based questions unlike Geography, should I go on this trip even tho my parents will never allow me or should I go ahead with my plan of doing A level Physics or Chemistry instead?
    From someone who has done Geography fieldwork, it is compulsory to attend this trip, being 30% of your overall grade and only 20% for me, it's also a good A Level to have being a humanity subject.

ReputationRep:
    So I literally have only tomorrow and Thursday to come to a final decision? This is gonna be tough, but it wouldn't affect me much as I actually haven't started Geography revision yet and did not do much in class.
    Unless you’re going to apply to a geography or history course (or a course that recommends essay subjects) and geography is the only essay subject you got I recommend you drop it as it’s not one of the main facilitating subjects.

Trust me I’ve been in your position... literally, like 5 or 6 times. I’ve dropped and joined subjects a bunch of times and only came to a final decision this morning.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I did research Physics and it only contains 40% of maths according to our school website, the content is surprisingly less than Biology which is what I am currently doing, not going to do Maths in a million years as I know I will fail badly. Of course I am aware you still need to put in a lot of hard work in Physics.
    With a 5 in maths you will struggle with the maths in physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    Physics will involve some geometry. I'm in my first year and I'm doing the waves topic. Quite a bit of trigonometry (luckily only right-angled-triangles for now), and this is only week 6. If you only got a 5, I don't recommend you do physics or chemistry. My college wouldn't even allow anything less than a 6 for these subjects.

Chemistry is very tough content-wise and is very calculation-heavy. If you disliked mole-related calculations at GCSE, don't take it. So far, that's practically all we've done, just with more complications thrown on top.

As for computer science, read through some of the content first. Some of it is pretty difficult to grasp at first, and you will probably have to spend quite a lot of time early on to get to grips with things like binary, hex, 2s complement and boolean algebra.
    Btw you don't actually do any more work on mole calculations than at the start it's just that they can come up in any context so you spend like a month covering them first. Later on you get onto some much meatier chemistry and also organic which often doesn't have a calculation in sight .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.